Glad Our Coach Cares About His Players**********

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
Skips Pro Day and now this gem:

Question: Are you planning on going to the draft for Charles Cross?

Leach:
We hear back and forth a little, word of mouth from Charles. I don’t really plan to attend the draft. I don’t even know when it is. I read it on my phone. (notified it’s 4/28). We’ll see what happens. (informed it’s in Vegas). I’m not a big Vegas guy. That’s like being in a mall the whole time. Unless you’re really into gambling, which I get bored with that. Maybe they don’t have shoes and tee shirts and perfume, it’s just a mall that clanks a lot. It’s fun for the short run and there’s great food in Vegas. (discusses restaurants in Vegas). What’s the one in the Golden Nugget. (notified it’s Vick and Anthony’s). Very good, the best I ate at. (more restaurants). It may have been the Rio, the one with the seafood buffet. There’s an Italian restaurant around the corner from the MGM. (more on restaurants). It’s old Vegas. (more on Vegas). You’ve about got me talked into going to Vegas to watch “Charles.” Those guys will get drafted where they do, and we wish them the best. Work hard and carry themselves as far down the path as they can.

Can’t wait for us to can him and hire Jeff Lebby

Last edited:

BlameTheDogs

Oct 18, 2019
Let me say that I like Leach as our coach. However- he’s very disconnected from the team and program, in many respects. He still didn’t know several players names, from his interviews last season.

Fighting Irish.sixpack

Oct 26, 2012
I am a huge supporter of Leach……..

But skipping pro day and then saying this about not attending the draft are not a good look.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
He better impress us with his wins next year. This act puts a dent in his head coach equity. Not a good move by Leach. It’s just not a smart thing to do. You have to at least pretend you care about your program.

Looks like players AND coaches are becoming hired guns.

Last edited:

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
And you want to be associated with a high draft pick because it gives you capital in recruiting

patdog

May 28, 2007
I never wanted to hire Leach in the first place, but even I'm surprised at how much he just doesn't give a **** about this job.

STLDawg

Apr 16, 2017
I’m sure all of this is gonna be used against us in recruiting. Do you think Kiffin would be skipping out on the draft? Should’ve given Joe another year to get his guys in the system.

TheStateUofMS

Dec 26, 2009
Don't see the issue. Leach never pumps sunshine up people's ***, but he has plenty of personality. If he didn't give a **** about Cross, he would have moved on from the question entirely. He even finished up mentioning wishing Cross the best.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Serious question, is Cross even attending the draft? Seems like half the top prospects have parties at someone’s house with family now.

Whether he is or is not, we still have fans being phased by this whole “Mike Leach says or does something controversial” thing when it was abundantly clear what we were getting into when we hired this guy.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Don't see the issue. Leach never pumps sunshine up people's ***, but he has plenty of personality. If he didn't give a **** about Cross, he would have moved on from the question entirely. He even finished up mentioning wishing Cross the best.

Evidently these people do not know what kind of person he is. Yeah, he probably should be there since Cross is going so high in the draft but I hope he's actually out checking who's the latest name on the transfer portal and spending more time getting ready to have spring football practice. That's a little more important to me than showing up on TV as a draft but that's just me

Recruiting is just about to be more about how much NIL money you can get them than whether they like your school, or coaching staff, or kissed their *** more than LSU or Bama did

idog

Aug 17, 2010
I must have missed the part about Cross being disappointed about this. Someone please show me where I can missed that.

y’all are just looking for stuff to ***** about. Since when is going to the draft of a league you don’t work in a requirement for college coaches?

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
I’m of the opinion that if you are the head guy of a company or program, and there is a major event occurring involving that entity, as the boss hog, your *** needs to be there.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
He enjoys his life away from football very much and just strikes me as someone who could/would say 17 it and walk away from the CF college football has become. I think he has his money and is fed up with the game. Just a thought.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
I don't know what y'all expected but this is exactly the guy we hired. This what y'all wanted and you got it.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I think if you'll check back to the time of his hiring you'll find a lot (maybe a majority) of this board was hopeful but skeptical of the hire.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Skips Pro Day and now this gem:

Question: Are you planning on going to the draft for Charles Cross?

Leach:
We hear back and forth a little, word of mouth from Charles. I don’t really plan to attend the draft. I don’t even know when it is. I read it on my phone. (notified it’s 4/28). We’ll see what happens. (informed it’s in Vegas). I’m not a big Vegas guy. That’s like being in a mall the whole time. Unless you’re really into gambling, which I get bored with that. Maybe they don’t have shoes and tee shirts and perfume, it’s just a mall that clanks a lot. It’s fun for the short run and there’s great food in Vegas. (discusses restaurants in Vegas). What’s the one in the Golden Nugget. (notified it’s Vick and Anthony’s). Very good, the best I ate at. (more restaurants). It may have been the Rio, the one with the seafood buffet. There’s an Italian restaurant around the corner from the MGM. (more on restaurants). It’s old Vegas. (more on Vegas). You’ve about got me talked into going to Vegas to watch “Charles.” Those guys will get drafted where they do, and we wish them the best. Work hard and carry themselves as far down the path as they can.

Can’t wait for us to can him and hire Jeff Lebby

Who cares

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
You quitting in the 1st half of any game in any sport and starting your ********* and clown type ******** isn't a good look either but we have to put up with it. Since you like him, you can just put up with him. This "rambling trying to be funny" "fat little girlfriend" kind of routine is why I couldn't stand the hire in the first place

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
I miss the days of people saying Dan had no fire, went on vacation every summer, and quit the last three games every year.
Just win. I don't care if he jerk's off Donald Duck in front of Gene, at the Junction, if he can win 8+ games a year.

Pars

Oct 11, 2015
Not showing up for pro day is a bad look. I don’t care how quirky you can be for espn. It wasn’t just Cross at the pro day. Like Hadad said on T&L spring practice started 2 days after pro day. Adjust your schedule to actually look like you give a ****

Jack Klompus.sixpack

Mar 6, 2021
Next….everyone getting upset when Cross mentions Laurel High School instead of State on Monday night football broadcasts.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
His tenure per school over his career would suggest that your mercenary take is not correct. What are your reasons?

josebrown

Aug 4, 2008
Leach should only show up when players on his team currently are involved. Prima donnas show up when the cameras on, and ESPN pulled an entire shitcan on Mike Leach personally for years, because he didn’t agree one of ESPN personality’s kid should be starting on his team. He was right, they were wrong, and they continue their little attacks at him today. Look to Greg McElroy comments about him last year on ESPN vs Greg McElroy comments about him away from ESPN. Look at Matt Wyatt’s comments about that. And you expect Mike Leach to go out of his way for the camera when a kid no longer on his team is at an event, its is just to make yourself feel good. It accomplishes nothing. Since Dak started saying his High School I guess we should now want him fired and we should say we never liked him anymore. This is just too much.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Leach is about the only coach I know of who I would truly look forward his writing a candid, "tell-all" book on his coaching career.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I don't mind him not being there for pro day. Truth is - he kind of steals the spotlight, all the reporters want a soundbite from Leach. So by not being there he's not a distraction. All the focus is on the players taking part, which is the way it should be.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
He better impress us with his wins next year. This act puts a dent in his head coach equity. Not a good move by Leach. It’s just not a smart thing to do. You have to at least pretend you care about your program.

Looks like players AND coaches are becoming hired guns.

This is my deal. It's not a huge deal, but it's such an easy thing to do it's just stupid to burn any good will over it. It's like showing up for a company Christmas party. It's probably not exactly what you want to do and if you look at it objectively it really shouldn't be that important to go to, except that it's just such a ****** look to not be willing to go, you go.

047Dog

Jan 29, 2020
Serious question, is Cross even attending the draft? Seems like half the top prospects have parties at someone’s house with family now.

Whether he is or is not, we still have fans being phased by this whole “Mike Leach says or does something controversial” thing when it was abundantly clear what we were getting into when we hired this guy.

And have these people ever watched a draft? Some of these guys that sit backstage waiting for their name to be called have a posse of guys and momma or grand momma there. IF the coach is there, most of the time they either don’t make it on screen or get a 5 second fist bump after said player has hugged his 30 homies.

This is a big fat nothing issue that the Leach whiners want to latch onto as ammo for their agenda.

Aug 28, 2018
I can hear Cross now, with tears rolling down his face, " I wish Mr Coach Leach was here today, my my my feelings are hurt because he didn't come. My my my momma said Mr Coach Leach is the DEBIL."

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
We should when our instate rival is dragging our *** on and off the field while Mike Leach is bitching and not adapting to a changed landscape in the sport. But some of our fans would still love him even after he goes 5-7 this year bc of his politics. Guess what that **** won’t matter when the program is dead bc we have a more vocal Ben Howland leading us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Leach is a mercenary. Plain and simple. Better win next year.

Prior to MSU, Leach coached at Texas Tech for 10 years and would have continued, if he had the choice. He then sat out for a few years and went to Washington State for 8 years.

How is that a 20 year record of a mercenary? When that term is used, its typically referring to the idea that mercenaries are in it to make money at the expense of beliefs and jump to the highest bidder. Leach spent a long time at the two prior places he was head coach.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
We should when our instate rival is dragging our *** on and off the field while Mike Leach is bitching and not adapting to a changed landscape in the sport. But some of our fans would still love him even after he goes 5-7 this year bc of his politics. Guess what that **** won’t matter when the program is dead bc we have a more vocal Ben Howland leading us.
Quit being a drama queen. Nobody gives a **** about his politics. Nobody is in love with Leach. Our rival isn't dragging our *** on and off the field either. They had an up year based on talent cycle, deal with it.

However, some of us do think we should see what happens in year 3 before becoming a vaginal mess about the situation.

Mullen did all that ******** you talk about and we still have 90% of our NFL players saying their high school. So who gives a ****. It's pretty obvious our football program is just second rate, so instead of trying to imitate everyone else and get status like you sheep want, we may as go the other direction.

Go finish off your douche and pull your **** together.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login