Gluckstadt

bomanishus

Mar 17, 2009
For those who live in the Madison County or Jackson Metro area, if you haven't been through Gluckstadt lately, you might not realize how much construction is going on up there. It seems like everything is new and shiny. I'm not exactly sure what caused this bubble to grow, but it's sure doing that. More on the way with a big new development on the west side of I-55 north of the main Gluckstadt exit.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is zero zoning or planning being done to manage the growth. The lessons learned from what Madison did differently to plan and manage growth from every other suburb in the Jackson area apparently has not translated to the newly incorporated city.

Hope I'm wrong.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
For those who live in the Madison County or Jackson Metro area, if you haven't been through Gluckstadt lately, you might not realize how much construction is going on up there. It seems like everything is new and shiny. I'm not exactly sure what caused this bubble to grow, but it's sure doing that. More on the way with a big new development on the west side of I-55 north of the main Gluckstadt exit.

Unfortunately, it looks like there is zero zoning or planning being done to manage the growth. The lessons learned from what Madison did differently to plan and manage growth from every other suburb in the Jackson area apparently has not translated to the newly incorporated city.

Hope I'm wrong.
This will come back and bite them in the butt eventually.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t ever have to go up there but from co workers and friends that live up there, traffic is already a nightmare. They are essentially still dealing with 2 lane rural country roads.

But the growth is happening because of the amount of rooftops. Lots of houses out there now.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Hope I'm wrong.
What's wrong with putting a dollar general store and a carwash at the entrance of an upper scale subdivision?

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Zoning is a must if you want an elevated quality of life for your residents and businesses. If they continue without a master zoning plan it will go from Gluckstadt to Gluckdump real quick.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t ever have to go up there but from co workers and friends that live up there, traffic is already a nightmare. They are essentially still dealing with 2 lane rural country roads.

But the growth is happening because of the amount of rooftops. Lots of houses out there now.
I believe the project to widen Bozeman Rd started recently. And there is preliminary work being done to get an I55 widening project fully funded. Still. It’ll be a long time before there’s any relief from the traffic. I wouldn’t live there.

coach66

Mar 5, 2009
I live in the area and the growth is out of control. Board of supervisors aren’t doing a good job with cadre of Banks, Griffin and Steen working together to screw Madison and Gluckstadt every
Chance they get. The Cadre is really the biggest concern at this point, hopefully Steen will man up and keep high density low quality housing out but it’s a concern. Infrastructure is a joke and they just keep building houses. If you go to grocery stores, Walmarts and restaurants in Madison the Hinds county tags are everywhere. Jackson residents literally have no place to shop, eat out and relax.

lake Caroline now dealing with a massive dirt pit on Hwy 22, dump trucks are everywhere in Gluckstadt. I hope the leadership is up to the task but so far it’s not looking good. National developers pushing to build 700 unit 1000 sq foot homes near Deerfield, if that happens the writing is on the wall for Gluckstadt and Madison.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I believe the project to widen Bozeman Rd started recently. And there is preliminary work being done to get an I55 widening project fully funded. Still. It’ll be a long time before there’s any relief from the traffic. I wouldn’t live there.
I lived out from 2013 to 2016. Moved into Madison after leaving there. Traffic sucked pretty bad then and there were really no businesses to speak of. The projects you mention above will definitely help for people getting in and out of gluckstadt. But now there are so many businesses on gluckstadt road that has become an issue

Reactions: patdog

civildawg88

Aug 22, 2012
Have lived in gluckstadt the past 12 years. We can't wait to leave. The traffic is beyond horrible and widening of Bozeman road was supposed to start 5 years ago and the only work done now is utility relocation.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I live off Yandell Rd, past Deerfield. If you travel Yandell or Old Canton Rd. on a regular basis you know what a cluster17 it has become. Narrow roads full of potholes. They need to get a quick handle on the zoning. We have enough gas stations and carwashes.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
My house (4/3) that I paid $267K for in 2015 is now worth $340K.

Property values been increasing greatly in this area.

I guess I need to put it on the market soon If things are gonna go south.

I’m in SHC off Catlett just north of Gluckstadt RD.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I guess I need to put it on the market soon If things are gonna go south.

I’m in SHC off Catlett just north of Gluckstadt RD.
I don’t think that area is going south at all. Just growing pains. Madison right now appears nicely zoned and roads seem built to handle development but I’m sure it was a cluster 17 at one point too.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017

I don't want to be the dìck here, but....

Please don't sell it thinking you are going to go buy a nice spread somewhere else, because these days everything is:
PXL_20230629_025544973~2_copy_1701x3024.jpg

ETA, I actually took this photo at a bar 2 nights ago. Elvis was playing behind the giraffe cooter. He lives and is more into acoustic covers of 80's hits than one would have thought.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcdawg22

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think that area is going south at all. Just growing pains. Madison right now appears nicely zoned and roads seem built to handle development but I’m sure it was a cluster 17 at one point too.
Madison population has more than doubled since I've lived here. We've never had the kind of traffic problems Gluckstadt has now. I don't think Gluckstadt is going south at all. It's more the opposite. It's still growing. And the traffic issues will get better eventually. But it's gonna be a long 5-10 years before it does.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
They repaved Yandell road a few years ago (it was in horrible shape, due to Yazoo Clay?), it is already starting to get in bad shape again.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I don't want to be the dìck here, but....
267-340 over 8 years is a 3.1% per year appreciation. The median home in the US has increased 5.3% per year in that time span. If your home had kept up with median US price appreciation from Q2 2015 to Q2 2023 it would be worth $403,000 right now.

Point being... Don't sell it thinking you are going to go buy a nice spread somewhere else, because everything is:
View attachment 360564

ETA, I actually took this photo at a bar 2 nights ago. Elvis was playing behind the giraffe cooter. He lives and is more into acoustic covers of 80's hits than one would have thought.
Love your posts PooPops but sorry, you're being a dick here. I know you're into this stuff with many graphs and the like but don't be that guy.

That said, I always love a good planning and zoning thread. Always depends what side of the discussion you are on. Everyone loves P&Z until it put a crimp in their view of things you're trying to develop or what you think "looks nice". Who among us has served as the HOA president and had to remind the bitchers ... I ain't exactly getting paid for this, would you like the job? Lot of bitching about "Mayor Mary" as well best I can tell and her "over reaching ways" but not sure there is a place in MS that folks don't say, damn this place looks nice.
Go to any new suburb in America that requires green space and set backs with built up mounds buffering the sprawling development from the main roads and tell me that doesn't look nice. If you are in Starkville, they're slamming everything to the edge. Again, if you are a developer, you're getting every square inch out of your investment and completely understand. If you are just a visitor or resident, it looks over run.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Love your posts PooPops but sorry, you're being a dick here. I know you're into this stuff with many graphs and the like but don't be that guy.
Edited. I was being a dick. You mind burning the evidence for me?

Reactions: dorndawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Go to any new suburb in America that requires green space and set backs with built up mounds buffering the sprawling development from the main roads and tell me that doesn't look nice. If you are in Starkville, they're slamming everything to the edge. Again, if you are a developer, you're getting every square inch out of your investment and completely understand. If you are just a visitor or resident, it looks over run.
You would love Frisco TX. If it's not the most master planned place on earth I don't know what is... One of the original city planners lived in my neighborhood and would tell the stories at poker night. They knew in the early 90's what the population would be at "build out."

My old house was built in unincorporated Collin county TX in 1985 when Frisco had a population of about 4000. 100 houses in the neighborhood, septic, bar ditches with no curb and gutter minimum lot size 1.5 acres. This is what it looked like as late as 2003:

Fxz0y-maMAAi0IK.jpeg

Looks like neighborhoods all over rural areas in many parts of Mississippi.

Fast forward to today with Frisco at a population of 227,000:

Fxz01AjaIAA2V_c.jpeg

I sold my house with that big lot to a friend when I moved so he could capture the appreciation. And boy has he. I get master planning and all, but it's sad that they are putting 3700SF houses on 7400sf lots and selling them for $800,000+.

Frisco will not let their high schools get over 2000 students. They have the master plan and now have 12 high schools with an average of 1800 students. I have a friend whose kids have gone to 3 different elementary schools and he never moved. As it grows they just keep adding in new schools closer to his house.

Crazy shìt.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
You would love Frisco TX. If it's not the most master planned place on earth I don't know what is... One of the original city planners lived in my neighborhood and would tell the stories at poker night. They knew in the early 90's what the population would be at "build out."

My old house was built in unincorporated Collin county TX in 1985 when Frisco had a population of about 4000. 100 houses in the neighborhood, septic, bar ditches with no curb and gutter minimum lot size 1.5 acres. This is what it looked like as late as 2003:

View attachment 360593

View attachment 360596

I sold my house with that big lot to a friend when I moved so he could capture the appreciation. And boy has he. I get master planning and all, but it's sad that they are putting 3700SF houses on 7400sf lots and selling them for $800,000+.

Frisco will not let their high schools get over 2000 students. They have the master plan and now have 12 high schools with an average of 1800 students. I have a friend whose kids have gone to 3 different elementary schools and he never moved. As it grows they just keep adding in new schools closer to his house.

Crazy shìt.
Striking the contrast in how your old neighborhood was laid out versus the other that looks like every suburb of every city in America that you fly into. Can't help but sing a little Pleasant Valley Sunday every time I look down on it all from the air, this no different.

Irondawg

Dec 2, 2007
Gluckstadt is basically Oak Grove 2.0

Grew super fast, bunch of cheap strip malls crowded into a small area that can’t support the traffic, houses being built faster than infrastructure can support it. Crowded roads, crowded schools and the damage from not incorporating earlier and having a good plan is done and not sure you can fix it.

Madison isn’t perfect, but it did a lot of things right for the long term, even if unpopular for the short term.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Striking the contrast in how your old neighborhood was laid out versus the other that looks like every suburb of every city in America that you fly into. Can't help but sing a little Pleasant Valley Sunday every time I look down on it all from the air, this no different.
I always think Little Boxes, and the opening credits of Weeds.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
For any of you who want to leave the Germantown School Zone area, or north of 463 area, please reach out to me. I would love to help you sell your home and find you a new one.
Not kidding. Madison County south of Canton and north of Ridgeland and east to the Rez and west to Livingston id in very high demand for inventory.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I bet the pics from here in the north end of Leander, TX almost look the same.
When I first moved back to TX in 06' I lived with a friend in Leander. I just drove through yesterday. WTF? It's kinda the upsidedown world version of a master planned community. Good Lord at the roads and who the hell decided to make 183 a toll road?

Head east IBMD... You are taking years off your life with that craziness.

I came in from Houston on 290 and the closest I would be willing to live to either Austin or Houston is Brenham. Blue Bell Ice cream and Chapel Hill sausage made local... Hard to beat.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
When I first moved back to TX in 06' I lived with a friend in Leander. I just drove through yesterday. WTF? It's kinda the upsidedown world version of a master planned community. Good Lord at the roads and who the hell decided to make 183 a toll road?

Head east IBMD... You are taking years off your life with that craziness.

I came in from Houston on 290 and the closest I would be willing to live to either Austin or Houston is Brenham. Blue Bell Ice cream and Chapel Hill sausage made local... Hard to beat.
Been trying to, but it's hard to move right now. Three years ago, and this was nowhere then after I moved here, it went boom.

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
All these years when I have seen that Gluckstadt sign on I55, I pictured it as an ex-Nazi enclave where they escaped to after the war.

Reactions: AROB44

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022

View attachment 360593

View attachment 360596

Crazy shìt.
I've done some work with the City of Frisco over the last 13 or so years. You're right, they have their sh*t together. One of the best things my previous company did was pal up with them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login