Godspeed, Lizzie... there will never be another like you.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
My son just texted me and said he didn't realize she was in Memphis this week. Too soon, son. Too soon.

RIP to a legend.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
At least she got to witness MSU winning a national championship.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Well say goodbye to regular programming on tv because we'll have to watch Royal crap until about Monday. I'm a history buff and really enjoy it, but, every movie about her, every tv series about her, every documentary about her and every scandal about Meghan Markle will be on loop on the gossip channels and the news channels will dwell on the succession.......Thank goodness for ESPN

Edit: I just read where there are already 10 TEN days of events planned before they bury her. So much for returning to normal by Monday

Last edited:

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
You still watch regular programming on tv?... so you're the one.

was21

May 29, 2007
She was trained as an automotive mechanic when she served in the military...among other admirable traits...but damn, that's something else

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Well say goodbye to regular programming on tv because we'll have to watch Royal crap until about Monday. I'm a history buff and really enjoy it, but, every movie about her, every tv series about her, every documentary about her and every scandal about Meghan Markle will be on loop on the gossip channels and the news channels will dwell on the succession.......Thank goodness for ESPN

Already saw something claiming that Markle did not go to her bedside. Speculation whether it was Markle being petty or the queen or a close advisor not wanting to spoil her last moments with Markle's presence.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Markle and Harry are the ones that had enough of the "Pomp & Circumstance" and bailed out of that lifestyle, I don't think they care if Markle was there for the last moments or not.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Already saw something claiming that Markle did not go to her bedside. Speculation whether it was Markle being petty or the queen or a close advisor not wanting to spoil her last moments with Markle's presence.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Long reign, the British royals really transitioned during her reign. Not much more than a popular figurehead. Will be interesting to see if anything changes with a different monarch

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Think they were on a trip, in Europe

and she stayed there, while Harry made the trip.

What I read, anyway.

was21

May 29, 2007
Don't think the king or queen or whoever is in the position has much leeway as far as what they can actually DO as far as their government is concerned, but I'm not an expert on British rule by far.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012

William's wife didn't go either. Stayed home with the kids on the article I read.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I'm not up on the Monarchy and stuff, but this surprised me:

At her death the queen was head of state of not only the United Kingdom but also of Australia, the Bahamas, Belize, Canada, Grenada, Jamaica, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, Saint Lucia, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Tuvalu, the Solomon Islands, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, and Antigua and Barbuda.

I guess I knew they held some sway over Australia, and a few islands in the Caribbean, but I did not know she held an official title in Canada, New Zealand, etc. That's some territory.

MS-halfstep

Jun 27, 2015
I'm not up on the Monarchy and stuff, but this surprised me:

I guess I knew they held some sway over Australia, and a few islands in the Caribbean, but I did not know she held an official title in Canada, New Zealand, etc. That's some territory.

Commonly referred to as the Commonwealth. That ol' taxation without representation thing

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
She was one of the most elegant ladies that could carry a crown and still ride horseback with Regan.

A great woman.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
When she and REDACTED were at the helm in the 1980s Britain was a force to be reckoned with

Godspeed Liz!

ClintonInHelen

Feb 25, 2008
Britain is the cornerstone of the ABC countries with whom we are allied. I predict and fear that the ā€œSpecial Relationshipā€ between The United States and The United Kingdom will be irrecoverably damaged with the passing of the Queen and that will be tragic.

I hope I am wrong.

And Iā€™d still hit the grand daughter-in-lawsā€¦

Jul 26, 2021
I read this page very regularly, but I post very rarely. Having said that, this is the funniest thread Iā€™ve read on a State message board in quite some time. TouchĆ© Drebin and JLSā€¦

And, in all seriousness, I know next to nil about British royalty, but may she RIP. I have much respect for her for reasons I do not know.

Aug 22, 2012
Fingers crossed the brits use this as an opportunity to dismantle the monarchy in its entirety. There's no reason for it to exist in modern times, even in it's limited capacity.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
I don't know... while watching a huge portion of human civ devolve into a murderous mass, maybe we should hold on to the last vestiges that promote order and decency.

Aug 22, 2012
I don't know... while watching a huge portion of human civ devolve into a murderous mass, maybe we should hold on to the last vestiges that promote order and decency.

If you need an unelected inbred to tell you to not be an *******, that sounds like a you problem.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login