Gonzaga to the Big 12?

patdog

May 28, 2007
This makes no sense at all. Why would the Big 12 have any interest in adding Gonzaga? It's 1,700 miles from the nearest Big 12 school, and 3,000 miles from Central Florida. Other than basketball, they bring nothing to the table, and they don't even play football.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
@patdog — What I’m thinking is that it removes a possible expansion option for the PAC 12 and solidifies the Big 12.

They’re also in the WCC with BYU so maybe that played a role?

They’ve had a good baseball program the past few seasons as well as I think women’s basketball.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
@patdog — What I’m thinking is that it removes a possible expansion option for the PAC 12 and solidifies the Big 12.
I was thinking the same thing. It also plants their second flag in PAC country (first was BYU) well before the PAC can plant theirs east of Arizona.

Suddenly, those PNW and Mountain schools are within the Big 12 footprint.

Also, that is going to be one hell of a men’s basketball league.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
This makes no sense at all. Why would the Big 12 have any interest in adding Gonzaga? It's 1,700 miles from the nearest Big 12 school, and 3,000 miles from Central Florida. Other than basketball, they bring nothing to the table, and they don't even play football.
If you can’t own the fall, you might as well take over March.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013

They’re also in the WCC with BYU so maybe that played a role?

They’ve had a good baseball program the past few seasons as well as I think women’s basketball.
Yep. I go to baseball games and know some of the players. Were on the verge of hosting last year, but had a bad showing at the end

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
If the NCAA ever falls, a restructured basketball playoff could cause a new wave of conference realignment. Remove automatic bids for champions from the smaller conferences and make more room for power basketball conference teams.

Even without that scenario, basketball media rights add some value to the media contracts. I know it’s a part of the ACC’s deal. Instead of waiting around on Notre Dame in football, I think the ACC should be trying to poach Kansas and Baylor from the Big 12.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I was thinking the same thing. It also plants their second flag in PAC country (first was BYU) well before the PAC can plant theirs east of Arizona.

Suddenly, those PNW and Mountain schools are within the Big 12 footprint.

Also, that is going to be one hell of a men’s basketball league.
Bingo! This is exactly what they are doing. Getting in before the PAC12 can and strengthening that west coast footprint a little. They should make Gonzaga revive football so they have a new bottom feeder now that Kansas isn't awful.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That's why it doesn't matter. They are already traveling all across the country. And they are getting a good basketball school.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Bingo! This is exactly what they are doing. Getting in before the PAC12 can and strengthening that west coast footprint a little. They should make Gonzaga revive football so they have a new bottom feeder now that Kansas isn't awful.
My question, what is the Pac-12 even doing? Seems like they should be making SOME type of move. Maybe not Gonzaga, but if I were them I'd have already moved my HQ to Vegas and signed up either Nevada or UNLV. Then try and get either Texas Tech or TCU.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Seems like a really odd fit.

It's also strange to me that ESPN's college football writer would break this story.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
My question, what is the Pac-12 even doing? Seems like they should be making SOME type of move. Maybe not Gonzaga, but if I were them I'd have already moved my HQ to Vegas and signed up either Nevada or UNLV. Then try and get either Texas Tech or TCU.

They announced a work from home plan earlier this year.

Their San Francisco headquarters has got to be the most expensive in college athletics: Link.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Big 12 fought expansion and the conference championship game. They do a lot of stupid stuff.
This would just be another example.

Reactions: patdog

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I had the same thought. They should have actually had the upper hand. They have a media rights deal that's open, so they didn't have to renegotiate an existing deal. Even without UCLA and USC, they still have Oregon and Washington, either of which would be a bigger name than the Big 12's top name (OK State? Texas Tech? TCU?). You could make the argument that the 4th or 5th Pac-12 team (Arizona? Arizona State? Cal? Stanford? Utah?) is on par in terms of name recognition with the top tier of the Big 12.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
One other interesting thing I discovered through this is that Iowa State doesn't have baseball. It's less than 170 miles away from the Field of Dreams and it doesn't sponsor baseball.

And before somebody says it was crucified on the Title IX altar, Iowa sponsors every men's sport that Iowa State offers plus baseball.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I had the same thought. They should have actually had the upper hand. They have a media rights deal that's open, so they didn't have to renegotiate an existing deal. Even without UCLA and USC, they still have Oregon and Washington, either of which would be a bigger name than the Big 12's top name (OK State? Texas Tech? TCU?). You could make the argument that the 4th or 5th Pac-12 team (Arizona? Arizona State? Cal? Stanford? Utah?) is on par in terms of name recognition with the top tier of the Big 12.
Stanford is the one Pac 12 university I'm not worried about as far as Power 5 athletics are concerned.

If the Pac 12 implodes, schools leave, and Stanford needs a home, they have more than enough money to buy a spot someplace.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login