Good analysis on JT Ginn

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
Never in my life would I have figured that we would lose 2 1st round picks Jrs, (another in Ginn), almost get another 1st round pick out of HS in Carter Stewart... and win a natty after they leave(or never got to us in Stewart).

This team was special. No doubt that we had all of the pieces fall into place at the right time... but we sure as s*** earned that after a lifetime of it not working that way...

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Never in my life would I have figured that we would lose 2 1st round picks Jrs, (another in Ginn), almost get another 1st round pick out of HS in Carter Stewart... and win a natty after they leave(or never got to us in Stewart).

This team was special. No doubt that we had all of the pieces fall into place at the right time... but we sure as s*** earned that after a lifetime of it not working that way...
It shows you how badly the draft has screwed us over the years, and not with the high-level guys. It's the mid-round guys leaving that has gotten us, whether that's from high school or college. Because the 2020 draft was so short (5 rounds), we got Allen and Jordan back (and possibly Macleod as he was a draft-eligible sophomore at the time). We also probably got a few freshmen to come, which will benefit us in the future, and a little bit last year (Clark and Fristoe).

I don't know if it's the scholarships that have plagued us or what, but we ALWAYS lose our higher draft picks from high school, and our mid-round picks as juniors. I don't blame them, they do what they have to do. But keeping them evened the talent gap between us and teams like Vandy, Florida and Texas who have other means of securing players outside the 11.7 scholarships. I'm hoping NIL can help us with this moving forward as the draft transitions back to its previous length. If it does, that is. It may stay at 20, but honestly that doesn't matter because it's the 10-20 round guys leaving that have hurt us.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I don't know the numbers, but I assume the scaling down on the numbers of minor league teams will help us; less available spots for potential players. However, that may be negligible and teams will just cull the heard to make room for new/younger blood.

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
it seemed odd that his MSU ties weren't mentioned but maybe I missed it (or maybe they didn't want to show his allegiances)

NOATLDAWG

Dec 29, 2020
Agreed with everything you said... And that has always been the rub for the 2nd tier of the NCAA... we need some special things to click to come together and create a year/team like last year. That's why I think fully investing in football is a kind of fool's errand. We will never be Alabama so we need to figure out our sweet spot on what to spend to keep our profile high enough to support our complete 'all in' for baseball. I have never minded us being a baseball school. And hopefully 2021 will cement us there and give us more of the breaks you described for future runs.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Agreed with everything you said... And that has always been the rub for the 2nd tier of the NCAA... we need some special things to click to come together and create a year/team like last year. That's why I think fully investing in football is a kind of fool's errand. We will never be Alabama so we need to figure out our sweet spot on what to spend to keep our profile high enough to support our complete 'all in' for baseball. I have never minded us being a baseball school. And hopefully 2021 will cement us there and give us more of the breaks you described for future runs.
I'm with you, but just slightly different. I don't think we can fully give up on football, so I think we should 'invest' by being different in some way, which obviously we are doing with the Air Raid. We can't pay coaches and recruit with the blue bloods, so yeah, screw that, but that into baseball. But we do need to be a little entertaining in football, and have a big year once in a while. Once the Air Raid fizzles out, let's go back to another weird offense. Triple option, zig-zag, whatever, just be different. That's why I also don't mind us switching up our uniforms all the time. The only way we'd get a typical good, conventional coach (without having to break the bank) that would be long-tenured was if he was an MSU guy and there just aren't that many out there. Can't do the Rockey Felker thing, that's the key....they have to be a GOOD coach. Hud and maybe Judge are the only ones who have come close and I just don't think they'd have worked. Maybe Bobby Collins should have been the play back in the day? The John Cohen's of the world, so to speak.

Last edited:

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Pretty sure last season was Macleod’s rSo season and his first draft eligible season. Unless he was 21 as a rFr

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Promoting him to AA to start 2022 seems really aggressive and not great for his development.....which is about typical for the Mets.

It's not at all unusual given his age and his performance in High A ball. I'd love for you to go into more detail regarding this absurd notion that it's not great for his development.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012
It's not at all unusual given his age and his performance in High A ball. I'd love for you to go into more detail regarding this absurd notion that it's not great for his development.

It is unusual for a starting pitching prospect with less than 1 year of pro ball and still working back from a major injury. And also that he performed ok in limited time at High A, but significantly worse than he had performed in previous limited time in low A before his promotion. Maybe he improved at the tail end of the season at High A, that I don't know, but again that's in limited overall time there so it would be UNUSUAL (meaning, it happens but is considered aggressive) to give him the biggest jump in competition level in all of pro sports with such limited performance at the previous level. The average is something like 1 year per level, he's had a 1/4 of a season at low A and a quarter of a season at High A. That's it. If he went pro out of HS he still would be on track to start at High A. It's aggressive. And aggressive development carries a risk to overall development. Some guys can get shelled in AA and learn great from it, others start pressing and focusing on their numbers instead of their development.

But, this is just this writer speculating. This isn't the team saying such at this point. More likely the team will continue to evaluate his development in spring training before making such a decision. USUALLY a team wants to see a dominant stretch in High A before promoting to AA. IF he looks ready in spring training for the jump, it would be less aggressive. Probably half MLB teams would be ok with that pace of promotion, half wouldn't I'm guessing. Some teams lean to patience due to the way MLB economics works, but others see a window to compete and bend development to that when necessary.

Other considerations: the reduction in MiLB teams may push moves like this to be more common. Only so many spots to go around. It may be a choice of somebody has to get bumped up and he's the most ready, even if ideally they would wait. The org may have better development personnel in AA, or better facilities. They may have already seen that he responds well to challenges, etc.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
You do wonder with a guy like JT Ginn that loves MSU baseball like he does, if he would have stayed for the 2021 season if he could have somehow known he would be a national champion. I think there is a good chance in his heart of hearts that he would have.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login