Good for baseball..

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Likely to move some college players out.

Some, but they won't have NIL. Oh they are eligible, but no attraction fact.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Minor league Baseball and Internship for doctors should be illegal the way they get used and paid. Especially doctors. They have a huge school debt and no signing bonus. These guys after finishing medical school have to work for years, sixty hours a week for 40K a year.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Minor league Baseball and Internship for doctors should be illegal the way they get used and paid. Especially doctors. They have a huge school debt and no signing bonus. These guys after finishing medical school have to work for years, sixty hours a week for 40K a year.
I have made a few mortgage loans for docs during their internships and those are indeed a grind. They often hafta hang out at the hospital putting in tough hours sleeping on a cot. But after that's done, they make a schitload of money.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have made a few mortgage loans for docs during their internships and those are indeed a grind. They often hafta hang out at the hospital putting in tough hours sleeping on a cot. But after that's done, they make a schitload of money.
My luck I would die my last week of the internship. I believe two interns got killed in auto accident in Jackson involving the wife of the guy who owned IRBY electric. I think Gov Hailey pardon her.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
I mean good for the players but I didn’t feel sorry for them before.
I guess I get your point… However, a guy I played high school ball with is now in the MLB but it wasn’t that long ago he was living in Casper, Wyoming with 5 Dominicans in a small apartment. After rent was paid, they would pool their money to buy a large bag of rice and 4 whole chickens to boil and eat on each week.
Not a very fun lifestyle.

The last I looked, the average minor league player makes $5k-$15k per season. The MLB can do better and the players deserve better.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
I guess I get your point… However, a guy I played high school ball with is now in the MLB but it wasn’t that long ago he was living in Casper, Wyoming with 5 Dominicans in a small apartment. After rent was paid, they would pool their money to buy a large bag of rice and 4 whole chickens to boil and eat on each week.

The last I looked, the average minor league player makes $5k-$15k per season. The MLB can do better and the players deserve better.
They are choosing that life style. They have lots of other options.

Deserve has nothing to do with it.

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
They are choosing that life style. They have lots of other options.

Deserve has nothing to do with it.
Okay, William Munny. Of course. Everyone makes a choice as to what they do for a career. The MLB brought in 10.8 Billion dollars in revenue last year. I think they can afford to break off more than what a garbage man makes for their minor league players.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Okay, William Munny. Of course. Everyone makes a choice as to what they do for a career. The MLB brought in 10.8 Billion dollars in revenue last year. I think they can afford to break off more than what a garbage man makes for their minor league players.
I bet there are things you can afford to do that you don’t.

Msuirondawgs

Mar 18, 2023

Exactly. Minor league players without a big signing bonus are basically making nothing and living in a ****** place a lot of times shared with others just to get by. Im happy for them getting more money 100%

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
News Flash:
MLB is a *business*. They are in business to make money. As long as there are people willing to work for what is being offered, that’s what they will receive.

It’s a similar situation to Commercial Aviation. People spend thousands and thousands of dollars to get an Airline Transport Pilot certificate (required to fly for any airline) but the jobs that are open to them initially are flying corporate aviation or with regional airlines making a very low salary compared to pilots who fly for major air carriers. After years at this level, only then do they get a chance to *interview* for a job with the majors where they can *eventually* make the big bucks (not at first even then). It’s not certain that they will make it to the majors but this is the career path process.

I know this because I have a brother nearing retirement as a FedEx Pilot and a son who is currently a captain with a regional airline. That’s the path my brother followed and the same path my son is currently on.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
it’s fortunately like $55-65kish now on average. The 60 hours is probably about right for the year for specialties with more hospital rotations, but it can definitely be more like 80ish for some. Clinic rotations often aren’t too bad but some programs will pair them with call. My intern year was 65 per week on average, and I think I was making $56k. I remember when Portland announced the $15/hr minimum wage, I went and looked at the OHSU intern salaries because I knew the general surgery people were pushing 80/wk. They were making like $13/hr. Below minimum wage in Portland.

Anon1664516582

Sep 30, 2022
My luck I would die my last week of the internship. I believe two interns got killed in auto accident in Jackson involving the wife of the guy who owned IRBY electric. I think Gov Hailey pardon her.
I went out with her for a while when she worked for Governor Fordice.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
You mean they have to work hard before making tons of money? What a drag
As a doctor, I feel obligated to respond to this. Are there super rich doctors? Hell yeah there are. I eat lunch with them daily and hear them ***** about their beach house and deep sea fishing boat not being big enough. That isn’t the majority of doctors. Not to say we are on street corners begging for money, but the days of every doctor making it rain ended in the 80’s. That stereotype continues however. I spent 4 years in college and four years in medical school. I then spent 3 years in residency followed by 3 years in fellowship. By that point I had well over 100k in student loans and was making basically minimum wage. Once I finished I made about the lowest you can make as a physician while I built my practice up for multiple years. I was in my 40’s before I started making a comfortable, not extravagant, lifestyle. I still have over 70k in student loans. I have a good life and I am not complaining, but Bill Gates I am not

I will never understand in a country that prides it’s self so much for the “people who work hard deserve to be rewarded” creed why it is still so popular to villainanize doctors for making money .

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
As a doctor, I feel obligated to respond to this. Are there super rich doctors? Hell yeah there are. I eat lunch with them daily and hear them ***** about their beach house and deep sea fishing boat not being big enough. That isn’t the majority of doctors. Not to say we are on street corners begging for money, but the days of every doctor making it rain ended in the 80’s. That stereotype continues however. I spent 4 years in college and four years in medical school. I then spent 3 years in residency followed by 3 years in fellowship. By that point I had well over 100k in student loans and was making basically minimum wage. Once I finished I made about the lowest you can make as a physician while I built my practice up for multiple years. I was in my 40’s before I started making a comfortable, not extravagant, lifestyle. I still have over 70k in student loans. I have a good life and I am not complaining, but Bill Gates I am not

I will never understand in a country that prides it’s self so much for the “people who work hard deserve to be rewarded” creed why it is still so popular to villainanize doctors for making money .
You replying to me? I never criticized Dr’s for making lots of money. I hope they do. I was mocking the idea that people think dr’s or anyone shouldn’t have to pay their dues before making good money.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
You replying to me? I never criticized Dr’s for making lots of money. I hope they do. I was mocking the idea that people think dr’s or anyone shouldn’t have to pay their dues before making good money.
Sorry, wasn’t meant to be aimed at you. Just picked one out of the doctor thread. Then I kind of got rolling and came a bit unhinged. My bad

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login