Good time to bring out a Lou Holtz quote

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
On expectations:
"When I first started, everybody said they just wanted us to be competitive. That first season in 1986 we went 5-6 and lost five games by a total of 14 points. But people said, 'No, when we said competitive, we meant we want you to win.'
"So the next year we were 8-4 and played in a New Year's Day bowl. But they said, 'No, when we said we want you to win, we meant win them all.'
"So the next year we did win them all. We went 12-0 and won the national championship. But they said, 'No, you don't understand, we meant we want you to win big.' "

Glad to hear fans are consistent everywhere. I am disappointed in this season, as many here are. Not ready to blow it up. I still question the approach of some of our hitters. I do hate the 2 strike chest bump. It now belongs with the Black unis. Bump your chest after you get that guy in from 3rd with less than 2 outs. I want to see the adjustments and bounce back before I condemn the coaches.

Muttley

Aug 22, 2012
Definitely agree on the chest bump. I've been waiting on the bounce back all year and it's been like trying to bounce a basketball with no air in it. I'll still be watching every game though.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
On expectations:
"When I first started, everybody said they just wanted us to be competitive. That first season in 1986 we went 5-6 and lost five games by a total of 14 points. But people said, 'No, when we said competitive, we meant we want you to win.'
"So the next year we were 8-4 and played in a New Year's Day bowl. But they said, 'No, when we said we want you to win, we meant win them all.'
"So the next year we did win them all. We went 12-0 and won the national championship. But they said, 'No, you don't understand, we meant we want you to win big.' "

Glad to hear fans are consistent everywhere. I am disappointed in this season, as many here are. Not ready to blow it up. I still question the approach of some of our hitters. I do hate the 2 strike chest bump. It now belongs with the Black unis. Bump your chest after you get that guy in from 3rd with less than 2 outs. I want to see the adjustments and bounce back before I condemn the coaches.

Spot on. Completely ok to be disappointed with this season. I’d imagine Lemonis would tell you he’s disappointed too.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Booking my tickets to Hoover for our play in to the Eugene Oregon regional

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think you misquoted him. I think it actually began like this:

"When I firth tharlted..."

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021

ArcherSPS

Aug 22, 2012
When I firsth startedth, everybodyth said they justth wantedth us to be competitiveth. That firsth seasonth in 1986th we went 5-6th and lost fiveth gameth by a total of 14 pointh. But peopleth said, 'No, whenth we said competitiveth, we meanth we want youth to win.'
"So the next yearth we were 8-4 and playeth in a New Yeath Dayth bowth. But they said, 'No, whenth we said we wanth youth to win, we meant win them all.'
"So the next yearth we did win them allth. We went 12-0 and won the nationath championshipth. But they said, 'No, youth don't understanth, we meanth we wanth youth to win bith.' "

Stateforlife77

Jan 3, 2021
The bounce back you are waiting on isn’t there. Lost 3 tremendous leaders from last year. Sims was the fire this year. Lost him. It’s either a quality you have or you don’t. Unfortunately even if sims was still playing we maybe have 2 more wins tops. Absolutely no clutch hitting at all. And the bullpen is giving up runs in droves. Honestly I think Kohn should move to Saturday slot followed by smith. Preston auger Friday. Cade and everyone else Sunday. Leave Yeager at leadoff

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login