Goodbye MAIS

bulldoghair

Jul 9, 2013
How would they categorize them into what division? Is it still solely on the number students, or because it’s a private school does it include an added metric?

DawgieDust

Nov 6, 2017
They didn't compete too well in MAIS, maybe moving to MHSSA will benefit them on the field too.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I wish they had done this when my daughter played basketball for Oak Hill. We traveled all over the state playing games. I know it may sound like I'm being hyperbolic, but when we parked the van at the end of that season of her senior year, the odometer was in a 90,000-mile range. It was state-of-the-art in those days. It had OnStar and a DVD player. My daughter is about to have her 40th birthday (don't tell her I told you this) this September, and she is now a substitute teacher here in Texas with two kids. The travel costs should be a lot less.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
I wish they had done this when my daughter played basketball for Oak Hill. We traveled all over the state playing games. I know it may sound like I'm being hyperbolic, but when we parked the van at the end of that season of her senior year, the odometer was in a 90,000-mile range. It was state-of-the-art in those days. It had OnStar and a DVD player. My daughter is about to have her 40th birthday (don't tell her I told you this) this September, and she is now a substitute teacher here in Texas with two kids. The travel costs should be a lot less.
1000001895.jpg

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
So it begins!

Reactions: Studentdawg06

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Didn't Hartfield academy try doing that several years ago and fail?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Didn't Hartfield academy try doing that several years ago and fail?
It’s not so much a failure as it was that their focus changed twice in a short span and it seems that it’s worked out for them.

University Christian (née Brandon Academy) was a Class A MAIS school that went to the MHSAA for two years.

In their second year in MHSAA, they rebranded and announced they were moving back to MAIS— and they did as a AA school.

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
How would they categorize them into what division? Is it still solely on the number students, or because it’s a private school does it include an added metric?
Article says they expect to be in 3A.

I see a total school enrollment is 975. How many do they have in HS?

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
My oldest son just turned 40. Our boys played sports at Heritage so I’m guessing that you and I crossed paths many times during our kids high school years. Yes, it was a lot of traveling but also the best years of my life. The grandkids are blossoming in sports now so if I live long enough I may get to relive those special moments with the next generation.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
My oldest son just turned 40. Our boys played sports at Heritage so I’m guessing that you and I crossed paths many times during our kids high school years. Yes, it was a lot of traveling but also the best years of my life. The grandkids are blossoming in sports now so if I live long enough I may get to relive those special moments with the next generation.
Grandkids are not big on basketball right now; in fact, they're not big on any sports at all. It's early, though.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
There is a rumor that a proposal has been made to combine the remaining five 6A schools with district 2 and 3 5A schools to form one 16 school conference. Again, it's a rumor but it has been told to me by more than one person from different schools. I have also heard if that happens, East Rankin and Brookhaven Academy indicated they would go the MHSAA route. Take that for what you will.

Dogdazey

Nov 16, 2012
There is a rumor that a proposal has been made to combine the remaining five 6A schools with district 2 and 3 5A schools to form one 16 school conference. Again, it's a rumor but it has been told to me by more than one person from different schools. I have also heard if that happens, East Rankin and Brookhaven Academy indicated they would go the MHSAA route. Take that for what you will.
I'm betting more rumor than fact...just in that East Rankin isn't about to go the MHSAA route. I don't believe they have the heart to play the poor disgruntled Pelahatchie's and Puckett's of the world. They could definitely compete in girls basketball and maybe softballl, but not the OTHER sports.

Reactions: Lettuce

patdog

May 28, 2007
I can't imagine the 5A schools agreeing to that. Maybe as a scheduling alliance, but the ones that are willing to play the 6A schools are pretty much already doing that anyway.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I can't imagine the 5A schools agreeing to that. Maybe as a scheduling alliance, but the ones that are willing to play the 6A schools are pretty much already doing that anyway.
agreed. No way that is even remotely being discussed as a possbility

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Did you buy the van new when she started her freshman year and those 90,000 miles were driven because of her 4 years of HS basketball games?

dawgstate

Jul 25, 2013
I’ve heard something like this

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I’ve heard something like this
This is definitely being discussed. I’ve ever seen a playoff format for one of the sports which would encourage a team to lose their first game so they can compete in a lower bracket.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012
You likely heard correctly. However I don’t see how this is sustainable for several reasons. Many of the smaller 5A schools aren’t going to put up with getting their teeth kicked in every year. There is also likely to be some movement with the 6A schools too. The Jackson metro won’t be able sustain a student population necessary to support Jackson Academy, St Joe, MRA, Hartfield, and Jackson Prep along with the smaller academies.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Years ago, public schools were broken up into groups. You had the Little Dixie. I believe it had Canton, Brandon, Forrest Hill, Clinton and others. Then you had the bigger schools grouped and smaller schools grouped. It worked and people were happy. Little Dixie champs were the state champs for that group.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
This is definitely being discussed. I’ve ever seen a playoff format for one of the sports which would encourage a team to lose their first game so they can compete in a lower bracket.
That won’t work.

Even UEFA got away from eliminated Champions League teams going down to compete in that season’s Europa League.

Studentdawg06

Oct 1, 2023
You likely heard correctly. However I don’t see how this is sustainable for several reasons. Many of the smaller 5A schools aren’t going to put up with getting their teeth kicked in every year. There is also likely to be some movement with the 6A schools too. The Jackson metro won’t be able sustain a student population necessary to support Jackson Academy, St Joe, MRA, Hartfield, and Jackson Prep along with the smaller academies.
I think it will, because there are a ton of people who went to Madison Central sending their kids to MRA now. Same for NWR/Brandon and Hartfield.

I think JA is in the most perilous situation if the Jackson-area private schools.

militarydog

Nov 9, 2012
I think it will, because there are a ton of people who went to Madison Central sending their kids to MRA now. Same for NWR/Brandon and Hartfield.

I think JA is in the most perilous situation if the Jackson-area private schools.
I could see that. Unfortunately the base of students near JA is dwindling. It would be a tougher situation for the community because JA is such an anchor for that area of Jackson.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Late to this, but the rumor about the 16-team MAIS upper division is true - as a rumor. Its been shot down. That's why PCS is going the MHSAA route - they can't compete with the Jackson Metro teams and its hindering their mission as a growing school in Hattiesburg.

Another rumor is Madison St. Joseph is inquiring about going back to the MHSAA. They have had a rough time in their short time as an MAIS 6A school. The MAIS continues to try to court Northpoint, who competes in the TSSAA. That would help the problem, but travel is a huge concern. I've heard the current Northpoint board is more open to it than previous boards - but it won't happen unless there is a massive realignment in the MAIS.

MHSAA is incompetent and antiquated and MAIS is struggling. Quite a problem we have in high school sports in our state.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Late to this, but the rumor about the 16-team MAIS upper division is true - as a rumor. Its been shot down. That's why PCS is going the MHSAA route - they can't compete with the Jackson Metro teams and its hindering their mission as a growing school in Hattiesburg.

Yep. They don’t get to compete against enough Pine Belt area schools which makes PCS seem strange locally.

Being more involved locally and not as much travel costs is a no brainer move.

Another rumor is Madison St. Joseph is inquiring about going back to the MHSAA. They have had a rough time in their short time as an MAIS 6A school.

Have not heard this but am not surprised.

Didn’t MSJ say that Hartfield was recruiting and then Hartfield got out of it?

If so, that could play a role too.

The MAIS continues to try to court Northpoint, who competes in the TSSAA. That would help the problem, but travel is a huge concern. I've heard the current Northpoint board is more open to it than previous boards - but it won't happen unless there is a massive realignment in the MAIS.

Exactly.

No one wants to be in the same district as the Metro Jackson schools because of travel.

Cenla and Central Private left several years ago. Fayette Academy left years before to go to the TSSAA.
MHSAA is incompetent and antiquated and MAIS is struggling. Quite a problem we have in high school sports in our state.

I’d argue that MAIS is also antiquated.

I suspect what MAIS will have only a 5-team top classification for 2025-27 — and that’s if Madison St. Joseph stays.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I suspect what MAIS will have only a 5-team top classification for 2025-27 — and that’s if Madison St. Joseph stays.

I have friends on the board or heavily involved at the Big Four. They know its a problem to win a state championship essentially against three other teams. Unfortunately there are no good solutions in the MAIS. The 16-team was floated and almost immediately got major pushback from everyone outside the metro so it was scrapped.

Tennessee has separate public/private but the same organization oversees. Mississippi would never do that.
Alabama has the privates intermingled with the publics with some recruiting rules and an enrollment index, as well as a sport-specific bump up rule.

A unique problem in Mississippi is many of the smaller MAIS schools cannot achieve SACS or SAIS accreditation. The MAIS serves as the schools' accrediting body which allows them to distribute diplomas. We think of the MAIS as a sports association, but for 65% of the MAIS, its how they keep the doors open.

Alabama also has the AISA, which is similar to the MAIS. They are down to 39 schools, all tiny segregation academies or church schools. 31 play football.

AISA has nine schools playing Class A (8-man)
12 schools in Class AA
10 schools playing Class AAA

Last edited:

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I have friends on the board or heavily involved at the Big Four. They know it’s a problem to win a state championship essentially against three other teams. Unfortunately there are no good solutions in the MAIS. The 16-team was floated and almost immediately got major pushback from everyone outside the metro so it was scrapped.
So the obvious solution is this:

Don’t award a state championship to the winner of the district or have playoffs.

Simply call the winning teams the District 1-AAAAAA (or whatever) champions

Yeah, it’s a bad idea but it’s probably a lesser bad idea than many of the others mentioned.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Did you buy the van new when she started her freshman year and those 90,000 miles were driven because of her 4 years of HS basketball games?
We bought it the summer that she started her junior year. I think it had like 30 or 40,000 miles on it. It seems like we were on the road the entire basketball season.

We did not want to go to private school, but we had no choice considering what the county schools were. They had not passed accreditation in over ten years. The bad thing was we were only no more than a mile from the city limits. I have heard that it was a different world than it is now.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
None of the Big Four have the stomach for going MHSAA but they know something has to give.

To me, the least bad option is for the privates to join the MHSAA with no enrollment index but a sport specificcompetitive index. If a team finishes state semifinalist or better two consecutive years, that team is bumped up a class. Within a few years, the programs like JA Volleyball and Prep Baseball will be playing 7A where they would be competitive.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Alabama also has the AISA, which is similar to the MAIS. They are down to 39 schools, all tiny segregation academies or church schools. 31 play football.

AISA has nine schools playing Class A (8-man)
12 schools in Class AA
10 schools playing Class AAA

And merger ain’t a possibility for the same reasons PCS is leaving MAIS.

There are a lot of AISA schools that have closed up shop or moved to AHSAA in the past several years.

I expect the rest of the larger AISA schools to eventually join AHSAA.

Maybe Patrician or South Choctaw might be the only ones to consider a MAIS move.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
None of the Big Four have the stomach for going MHSAA but they know something has to give.

To me, the least bad option is for the privates to join the MHSAA with no enrollment index but a sport specificcompetitive index. If a team finishes state semifinalist or better two consecutive years, that team is bumped up a class. Within a few years, the programs like JA Volleyball and Prep Baseball will be playing 7A where they would be competitive.
That’s the obvious eventual endgame.

Do they all jump together or does a school go first?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login