Gordo or Reform, Alabama strike Again

MeridianDog

Sep 3, 2008
If I understand the guys on the ESPN broadcast, Binghamton stayed in Tuscaloosa last nigh after their weekend games there and then were bringing the team over from T-Town to Starkville today when they were stopped for speeding in either Gordo or Reform, AL (DUH). Getting the speeding ticket taken care of caused them to be late for the 6:00 pm starting time.

I guess their driver should be happy they didn't shoot out the tires on the bus or put the entire team in jail until they paid the ticket. I wonder what the fine for a Baseball team bus speeding is. I figure about $200.00 - $300.00. Maybe the left field lounge guys will feed their team after the game to help them recover some of their trip losses.

I am one of those old farts, who drives at 20mph through both Gordo and Reform. In fact, I drop that low three or four miles before reaching the city limit sign. I won't whine about the reason why I do that.

Last edited:

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Gotta be the top speed trap in the nation.

I just wonder what Alabama state politician from there is trying to keep up their only revenue source, and has sabotaged the 82 bypass around both for so long that in 25 years its still like only halfway done.

MSUDawg25

Jan 21, 2010
Poulan is notable for its police department's speed trap tactics from 2006 to 2012.[4][5][6] In 2009 Poulan's small police force generated nearly $900,000 from fines and fees, a number comparable to a city 30 times its size and due to the charges and fees being more than most cities. The per capita revenue from fines and fees is $1,019.15.

I stand corrected

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
FYI Hugh’s Burner Phone….

Reform police pulled over ABC 33-40 storm chasers. During a tornado outbreak. I **** you not.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Selmer TN cops use the camera tickets, they are terrible too. Their team arrived tonight in a MSU bus so may have been Everitt getting the ticket but you'd think he would know about them by now

Last edited:

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
My last name isn’t Shanarah, but I don’t think those camera tickets are viable in TN any longer.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
FYI Hugh’s Burner Phone….

Reform police pulled over ABC 33-40 storm chasers. During a tornado outbreak. I **** you not.

It wouldn't surprise me. I do not speed through there I don't care what's going on. I've shot past highway patrol in the median at over 90mph during major outbreaks and they never looked my direction. I could be about to be run over by a wedge and I don't speed through Reform.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Yeah I never understood why they didn't bypass that town. In my day it was a rite of passage to get caught at least once in the Gordo/Reform AL 82 radar trap. I not only got a ticket in but passed a field sobriety test so I got a purple ticket

Last edited:

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
My last name isn’t Shanarah, but I don’t think those camera tickets are viable in TN any longer.

They were a few months ago. I got one in November in Memphis. I saw the camera, but the choice was either barely run the light or slam on the brakes in a rainstorm with an 18 wheeler behind me.

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Yeah, that whole saga has been pretty eye-opening.

If the media had gotten ahold of things just a little bit earlier, I suspect the state would've incarcerated a sitting mayor and taken over the town. Luckily for them, some folks on the council had realized they'd gone too far, and they were able to create a believable "uhh, yeah, we've been looking into that" narrative even though a lot of illegal police activity was still happening.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Brookside PD has an interesting way of spending all that cash, also. They’ve got several military transport type vehicles out front of the police station, and a giant “police rescue” combat-looking vehicle that set them back more than $400,000. (I’d post a photo but don’t see the option on mobile).

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016
They were a few months ago. I got one in November in Memphis. I saw the camera, but the choice was either barely run the light or slam on the brakes in a rainstorm with an 18 wheeler behind me.
I live in TN. If you get a camera ticket in TN. Throw it in the trash. Ive gotten about a half-dozen and they will send you a ticket and a warning to pay the ticket. Wad them up and toss it into file 13.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Not sure - Brookside, AL was probably leader in clubhouse until it was uncovered

https://www.birminghamtimes.com/202...g-scandal-leads-to-police-chiefs-resignation/

If you notice they talk about fines and 'forfeitures'. I am sure that is the oft abused civil asset forfeiture statues where essentially if you get stopped for a traffic violation and you have a large amount of cash on you the cops can claim that they believe it is drug money and just take it with little to no due process. It is almost impossible to get it back. It is a BAD IDEA to travel with lots of cash on you.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yep. They don't even have to charge you with a crime, much less convict you. But if you can't prove you got the money from a legitimate source, you forfeit it. No way that should stand up to a 4th Amendment or 8th Amendment challenge.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
There aren’t speed traps quite like that but it amazes me the three entry ways into the state that I am used to on state highways are that way. 98, 45, and 82 are all 2 lane for several miles until you hit the MS line then it’s instantly 4 lane. At least the Saraland bypass is being worked on.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
I know this may be before all you were born but back in the day, 60's & 70's before Hwy 45 was opened up around Tupelo the most active speed trap around was Verona, Mississippi. There are other notable small towns participating in these money makers but Verona had a reputation for writing the most tickets in the State back then.

Big Sheep81

Feb 24, 2008
Had to go get a truck with a load of equipment released in Golden Meadow one night at 230 in the AM. Supply boat was tied up and idling at Port Fouchon. Driver woke me up and said he couldn't leave until the fine of $185 was paid. IN CASH. This was in the early 80's Fortunately I had cashed a pay check that day. Took me 1 1/2 hours to get down there. Paid the fine, no receipt given. He was doing 26 in a 25 zone. Thank God they built a by-pass on the back side. You could do 35 on it.

Only redeeming quality in Golden Meadow was Dufrene's bakery. Bread and pastries to die for.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
I can't believe no one has mentioned Louisville, Ms. I'm pretty sure that tickets were their only source of income for years. In 4 years at State in the 85-89 time frame, I never with through there without seeing a cop.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I can't believe no one has mentioned Louisville, Ms. I'm pretty sure that tickets were their only source of income for years. In 4 years at State in the 85-89 time frame, I never with through there without seeing a cop.
Every 2 lane state highway in MS is a speed trap.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
In about 1988, MDOT took away the City of Louisville's gravy train by removing the City's authority to set the speed limit on 25/15 within the city's municipal boundaries. That move effectively shut down the city's speed trap.

rem101

Jan 22, 2008
Yep - they got me coming through St Landry Parish a while back. Luckily my wife is part coon-***, so her family friend called the DA, claimed I was his dumbass cousin from MS and I paid a parking ticket fine instead.

lanceharbor7

Feb 24, 2008
I immediately thought of Ferriday, La, knowing Refrom/Gordo is murderers row. The home of Jerry Lee Lewis, Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggert had the state raise the speed limit from 25 mph to 35 mph because the state owned the roads and everyone bitched except the city government.

The stretch from Ferriday Louisiana to Raville on LA hwy 425 will rival the slickest of slug trails

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login