Got a question, an OT one

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Why do some of you spit so much vile at one another when disagreeing? Why can't you just say, this is my opinion, and have thoughtful discussions, instead of calling someone out for having a difference of opinions? Seems a bit elementary and immature. Just curious.
A few of you guys go at each other like it matters. It's a message board that is taken way too serious by some of yous.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
It's a puzzle. Either a lot of people on the internet lack the integrity to be the same person online as in person, or the world is full of some class A jerks that I fortunately don't routinely run into in my everyday life.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Anonymity + 100% virtual communication + variance in sports knowledge + emotional investment in the team’s success = MEET ME AT THE SOUTH FARM TO WHOOP YOUR SORRY *** FOR BEING WRONG ON THE INTERNETS

Also I believe in general that too many people have never gotten their *** kicked and there is a false sense of how well we can defend ourselves. Just watch a few road rage compilations on YouTube and you’ll probably come away with the same conclusion. It’s similar to web communication. People think they can be a jerk in their vehicles and nothing will happen. The car protects them like the computer screen and they don’t know the person they are screaming at, brake checking, flipping off, etc.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
The mod who posts as goat knows that assholishness generates board traffic and eyeballs.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Why do some of you spit so much vile at one another when disagreeing? Why can't you just say, this is my opinion, and have thoughtful discussions, instead of calling someone out for having a difference of opinions? Seems a bit elementary and immature. Just curious.
A few of you guys go at each other like it matters. It's a message board that is taken way too serious by some of yous.

Maybe we spit vile because your opinion is just 17ing stupid, and you're 17ing stupid and we're right and your and dubmass.**

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It’s funny because Nextdoor is waaaay worse than here. I had a job where I got to know a lot of people in my community and I’m very good with names. There are 2 posters that constantly go after each other on the site and I know them both from them frequenting my former workplace. They are both Alabama fans and used to joke around with me as a State fan and talked to each other on several occasions, chatting each other up. I don’t think they have any idea who the other person is when they are blasting each other on the keyboard.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

Because of human nature. Because the veil of anonymity for both the sender and receiver removes the social consequences of being a jerk. People say things to people on message boards they would NEVER say to their face, not because they might get their butt kicked, but because people don't want to be known by name as a jerk and also its different saying something to a human being directly instead of a 'handle' on a computer screen. It is the modern day equivalent of driving a car where many people scream and curse at other drivers for daring to subject them to the smallest inconvenience. Many of the same people will act like a jerk on the road and then are mortified when one day they find out they did it to someone who knows them.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
I’m surprised someone as big as him doesn’t have a couple of IP addresses.

IP address is 4 sets of numbers. Surely that can fit all of HD6

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I had to get off that vile cesspool. According to some people on there I am as bad as Joseph Mengele for trapping feral cats that were screwing around with my old dog.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I like to think that most people don't take much of this seriously, just having fun and blowing off a little steam.

And, in person, they're salt of the earth types with the existential dread of any real State fan; and, deeper down, are run-of-the-mill ticking 17n time bombs.

Viva la revolucion! and Hail State!!!

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Facebook and Myspace were completely different until about 2005 when people over the age of 30 started using social media... As soon as our employers, grandmothers, and pastors joined social media, it no longer became a place where you can safely tell a friend who you disagree with to eat a dong...

It's the greatest part of SPS. Small enough a community where you don't have to worry about anyone outside our bubble to hunt us down, dox us, and then cancel us. Yet big enough, where you can have such a diversity of thought that you can argue about anything at anytime.... That and boobies on Wednesday and Friday.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
Because of human nature. Because the veil of anonymity for both the sender and receiver removes the social consequences of being a jerk. People say things to people on message boards they would NEVER say to their face, not because they might get their butt kicked, but because people don't want to be known by name as a jerk and also its different saying something to a human being directly instead of a 'handle' on a computer screen. It is the modern day equivalent of driving a car where many people scream and curse at other drivers for daring to subject them to the smallest inconvenience. Many of the same people will act like a jerk on the road and then are mortified when one day they find out they did it to someone who knows them.

^^^ this ..... I know on sensitive issues I prefer to go to my customer / client's office and deal face to face in person as opposed to an argument over the phone or e-mail ..... face to face is just a different dynamic

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
But what if you’re big enough to whoop someone’s *** in real life too?**. Asking for a friend.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Johnson86-1 and I had an exchange in the State Park thread. I expressed an opinion and some concerns he took some level of exception to. After trading a couple posts, I realized I made some assumptions based on either faulty reasoning or incomplete information, maybe a little of both. I ended up changing my mind, acknowledging my ignorance and amending my position after the exchange. Life somehow went on.

I miss meaningful and reasonable debate, since it seems more rare now, and thus, more valuable.

No one knows everything. The truly wise ask more questions than has answers. Doubling down on arrogance is hilarously foolish to me. Name calling, while fun, only makes opponents dig in their heels.

If you're the smartest person in the room everywhere you go, reasonable, observant people already know you're wrong. Go ahead and rebuild some respect by owning your ignorance.

That said, I stay out of the crypto currency threads. While I don't know anything about it, I know it's stupid, ********.

Cheers.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Nothing is better therapy than arguing a dumbass point that doesn't really matter with a bunch of other dumbasses.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I had to get off that vile cesspool. According to some people on there I am as bad as Joseph Mengele for trapping feral cats that were screwing around with my old dog.

Twitter is the real anonymous cess pool.

But as Chappell said. It's not a real place.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Because if you disagree with me you are the evil spawn of Satan. **

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
How is Twitter worse? There's verified accounts on twitter and you choose what tweets or comments you look at.

Grove Sh*tter

Aug 25, 2014
Facebook and Myspace were completely different until about 2005 when people over the age of 30 started using social media... As soon as our employers, grandmothers, and pastors joined social media, it no longer became a place where you can safely tell a friend who you disagree with to eat a dong...

It's the greatest part of SPS. Small enough a community where you don't have to worry about anyone outside our bubble to hunt us down, dox us, and then cancel us. Yet big enough, where you can have such a diversity of thought that you can argue about anything at anytime.... That and boobies on Wednesday and Friday.

JLS for 17ing President

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The twitter mob will come after you from anonymous screen names and ruin your career and your life because of an opinion you have and you can have a real verified account. That's how it's worse. Here I don't think anyones career or anything like that has been ended because of post here or posters posting here. I don't think sixpackers are canceling other sixpackers

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

What were you doing with the cats after you trapped them?

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Well, the jerk store called, they're all out of you.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020
I agree. It’s too bad threads about COVID and inflation have to be locked. Seems like we should be able to discuss the most important issues facing society.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login