Gotta feel bad for Scott Frost …

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
and Nebraska.
I think he’s a good guy and probably a good coach but man they’ve had some damn bad luck. 21 one possession losses in his tenure!
I’d like to see them win 7-8, 9 games and maybe we get a chance to play them in a bowl.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
He lost when he did that onside kick up 11. Gave Northwestern all the momentum

Sep 12, 2013
I heard an interesting story about him pulling a backup QBs scholarship without the player knowing, and the player got a bill in the mail talking about the first payment and it blindsided him.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I heard an interesting story about him pulling a backup QBs scholarship without the player knowing, and the player got a bill in the mail talking about the first payment and it blindsided him.

If true - not cool but that sounds a little fishy to me.
Sounds like a butt hurt player and maybe some internal mis-communication?

Sep 12, 2013
If true - not cool but that sounds a little fishy to me.
Sounds like a butt hurt player and maybe some internal mis-communication?

I have no idea if true or not. Was def second hand info. Came from a younger guy who was HS teammates with the said player. And yea could be someone was supposed to tel him but didn’t. Who knows.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
I'm surprised he has survived this long but gone are the days where Nebraska is on top. They like many other schools are trying to bring back the past but football has changed. They have no shot.

was21

May 29, 2007
Dan Mullen kind of hinted that it's a lack of confidence thing that is contagious...commentating at the ESPN half time..he said it without saying it. Damn, I miss that guy. He's still a winner regardless of what some folk say. He liked us alright...just ego driven.

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
I wish we would go out to Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan and get about 2-3 big OL every year.
You can’t tell me that we can’t bring some Top OL from those areas to StarkVegas during recruiting, show them a great time with some cute southern girls, great weather and take ‘em to Cheers, The Landing, The Club, etc,
(Dave’s, Hobies, Two Brothers, Bin 612 and all of Cotton District) and we can’t close those guys?!?!
I’ve always thought we should recruit the MidWest heavily for OL.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The coach before Osborne was no slouch either. Bob Devaney won 8 Big 8 titles & 2 national champions in 11 years. The truth is the game & recruiting has changed & the changes don’t favor a school like Nebraska at all.

tired

Sep 16, 2013
Yeah I didn’t understand the move from Fl to Neb. He had it made, & Neb ain’t what it used to be. He was building a national brand and surrounded by a lot of talent. Dumb move.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
I wish we would go out to Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan and get about 2-3 big OL every year.
You can’t tell me that we can’t bring some Top OL from those areas to StarkVegas during recruiting, show them a great time with some cute southern girls, great weather and take ‘em to Cheers, The Landing, The Club, etc,
(Dave’s, Hobies, Two Brothers, Bin 612 and all of Cotton District) and we can’t close those guys?!?!
I’ve always thought we should recruit the MidWest heavily for OL.

Seriously!

Let's put somebody in northeastern Iowa and have him find us at least 2 offensive linemen every year to sign from that area (Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin).

Surely that would be doable.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
The coach before Osborne was no slouch either. Bob Devaney won 8 Big 8 titles & 2 national champions in 11 years. The truth is the game & recruiting has changed & the changes don’t favor a school like Nebraska at all.
My question is ….. what really changed? They’ve always had to go to TX, CA and FL for skill talent. I understand why they aren’t recruiting lights out now, but how did they succeed way back when?

They can build facilities and come up with NIL like anyone else. So why were they attractive back then? On TV more? Bc if it was Tom Osborne then they can recreate that again.

“Things changed” isn’t a good enough explanation. Demographics of Nebraska are no different now than they were in 1990.

wdawg44

Jun 4, 2014
Nebraska loaded up on prop 21 players during a time that it doing so was frowned upon at most universities. They also had some really good coaches.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Reading that I can't help but see how short sighted people are. Guess he never saw nick saban and Alabama coming. He probably couldn't image the monster the sec would become and the ole huskers would be a lower tier program in big 12 snd then the big 10

Dawgtini

Aug 13, 2007
and Nebraska.
I think he’s a good guy and probably a good coach but man they’ve had some damn bad luck. 21 one possession losses in his tenure!
I’d like to see them win 7-8, 9 games and maybe we get a chance to play them in a bowl.

He is our Rocky Felker in a way. Hate the admin and fans won't see how the landscape of college football has changed and give him some more time. They're a decent team in a really difficult area/situation. He is a good coach but trying to revive a mummy.

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
and Nebraska.

i will never feel bad ( for job related issues) for a guy making 40-$100k salaries per year and was making 50 per year last year.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
i will never feel bad ( for job related issues) for a guy making 40-$100k salaries per year and was making 50 per year last year.

Based upon my quick research, Scott Frost has made $4-5 million per season at Nebraska since 2018. Thus, he is very likely in pretty good financial shape.

I don't feel bad for him either.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

patdog

May 28, 2007
Demographics haven’t changed. But culture has changed a lot. The game of football has changed a lot. You can’t win with big farm boy OL, a power running game, and only about 15 passes per game. TV exposure has changed. Nebraska isn’t one of the few places you could play & be in TV more than once per year. The ability to cover up players’ crimes has changed a lot. It’s just a very different era that doesn’t suit Nebraska’s demographics as well as the old era did.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
CFP Reddit tweeted that if Frost won 50 games in a row, he’d still have a worse record than Pelini. That is jarring.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I love seeing Nebraska lose. I just can’t help it. I worked for a company headquartered in Hastings, NE for 10 years. The arrogance of those Nebraska fans really does remind you of Alabama fans. The people I worked for owned several luxury suites in the stadium at Lincoln. Big money donors, and Tom Osborne was on the company board of directors. I met Dr. Osborne several times-he is a fine person and a true gentleman. I even met Bob Devaney at a couple of company functions over the years. The problem is that Nebraska people still see their program as on equal footing with Alabama, but they simply are not the same caliber. They have to recruit Florida, Texas and California for skill players. They have an abundance of corn-fed boys to play the offensive line positions, but that is really the only thing they have going for them. I spent a month in Hastings/Grand Island Nebraska and I never saw a single African-American person during my time there. I am in no way a racist person, but common sense and experience tell me that most skill position players (RB, WR type players) are not corn-fed white boys. Nebraska has to go south and west to find those players. If you go on a recruiting visit to Lincoln, NE during the fall or winter you will encounter unpleasant weather. The cold weather starts in October and lasts well into March. I was there many times during the winter over the years when the temperatures didn’t get above 0 degrees Fahrenheit for weeks at a time, and blizzard conditions persisted for weeks as well. You get a boy from south Florida or Texas up there on a recruiting trip in October or November that weather is a huge disadvantage for the University of Nebraska. I absolutely hated going up there every year during the first week in December for our annual sales meeting. It’s like going to Siberia. Nebraska made a lot of hay back in the days when they could sign partial qualifiers and they got a lot of good players by signing those kids and paying them under the table. Those days are long gone. Now, this NIL **** may help them some, but the weather hasn’t changed. When you are freezing your *** off, I don’t care how much they are paying you-it’s still a tough sell. I don’t think that Scott Frost can survive there for long in spite of his “favorite son” status with the big money people there. Their expectations based upon their past history are pretty overinflated.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
My question is ….. what really changed? They’ve always had to go to TX, CA and FL for skill talent. I understand why they aren’t recruiting lights out now, but how did they succeed way back when?

They can build facilities and come up with NIL like anyone else. So why were they attractive back then? On TV more? Bc if it was Tom Osborne then they can recreate that again.

“Things changed” isn’t a good enough explanation. Demographics of Nebraska are no different now than they were in 1990.

Admission requirements changed.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yeah I didn’t understand the move from Fl to Neb. He had it made, & Neb ain’t what it used to be. He was building a national brand and surrounded by a lot of talent. Dumb move.

You realize he played football at Nebraska, right? Definitely agree he could have gotten a better job, but I suspect that was really the job he wanted.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Nebraska was ALL Tom Osborne apparently. Hard to believe just how bad they went down after he retired and they will never be what they once were.

Wrong, there was a loophole in the scholarship rules that allowed lots of extra players under Osborn. Think of Vandy baseball but unlimited to any instate player then fill roster.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login