gotta give Southern a bit of credit for this move.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
all of Southern's games are actually on SATURDAYS this year. amazing concept.

2008 Southern Miss Football Schedule
Date (Day) Opponent Site
Aug. 30 (Sat.) Louisiana-Lafayette Hattiesburg, Miss.
Sept. 6 (Sat.) at Auburn Auburn, Ala.
Sept. 13 (Sat.) at Arkansas State Jonesboro, Ark.
Sept. 20 (Sat.) Marshall* Hattiesburg, Miss.
Sept. 27 (Sat.) Open
Oct. 4 (Sat.) UTEP* (Homecoming) Hattiesburg, Miss.
Oct. 11 (Sat.) Boise State Hattiesburg, Miss.
Oct. 18 (Sat.) at Rice* Houston, Texas
Oct. 25 (Sat.) UAB* Hattiesburg, Miss.
Nov. 1 (Sat.) at Memphis* Memphis, Tenn.
Nov. 8 (Sat.) at UCF* Orlando, Fla.
Nov. 15 (Sat.) East Carolina* Hattiesburg, Miss.
Nov. 22 (Sat.) Open
Nov. 29 (Sat.) at SMU* Dallas, Texas

if Germans then I am 0 for 2 today.

ChatGPT

Apr 24, 2006
If we had that schedule, none us would give a **** about college football and wouldn't go to any games. Donations would be slim, and attendance would suck. There wouldn't be three message boards for you to post on, and there certainly wouldn't be pictures of shirtless 18 year old guys for you 'analyze.'

So who gives a **** if we could beat ten of those teams.

Hanmudog

Apr 30, 2006
Which reminds me, I hope Byrne puts a stop to this 6 home games a year crap. With a twelve game schedule, it is not too much to ask fans to shell out for one more home game.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
but do we continue to recruit telling players they will be in the SEC and then do a switcharoo and play those crappy teams? i realize there is a lot more to it but we generally go after different athletes. there are exceptions of course.

i am not giving southern an excuse to lose with that schedule but the comparison isn't as easy as you make it out to be.

Apr 16, 2006
Sadly, it is subject to change due to TV schedule. But the rumor is that the AD told ESPN to stuff it when they wanted the Boise State game on a Tuesday night. I can live with Thursday nights games. The other weeknights are ridiculous.

usmsci

Feb 26, 2008
after what ESPN pulled in our bowl game last year we basically in so many words told ESPN to stick it where the sun dont shine. some will talk less money this year because no ESPN games but who cares. we have a new expansion,new coach and pretty much a whole new feeling on campus regarding USM football.. and we want butts in the seats. We also have a contract with CSTV which is a sportscast station that is growing every year and continuing to get more exposure. I am sure we will be on CSTV for at least a couple of those.

Put butts in the seats first, get the fanbase excited to play on Saturdays where people can actually attend the games instead of Sunday afternoons, win some games, go to a championship game, maybe even the Liberty bowl and THEN and only THEN workout a reasonable TV schedule with other networks to show some games. I think, regardless whether you are an eagle or bulldog fan or whoever you root for, we can all agree on this concept. This is what fans wanted, besides just getting rid of bower.

Now they(the fans) got what they want. Time for the fans to step up. Whats amazing is that even after half our games being on mid-week tv including 2 sundays in a row and including a thanksgiving dreary cold and windy saturday game we almost beat last years attendance average. This year we have sold more season tickets by January than we have ever had -- that is by the time the spring game rolls around which is good news.

As for the schedule dont worry about that. Next year we have LSU and we have rotations of Tennessee(twice i think), Auburn again, Penn State, Virginia Tech and others, a few of those years( i think 2009) will have 2 of those teams in the same year. This is a good year for us to revitalize the fan base, get a good step with totally new coaching, new facilities and new everything. i can live with it.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
we wouldn't consistently attract the caliber of athlete we do now, thanks to playing in the SEC, so we wouldn't win 10 of those games for long.

patdog

May 28, 2007
You're right Sesh. I think there was a football game hidden in all the fellating of Bower, but I'm not completely sure about that. Funny, in all that time they didn't once mention that Bower's record has gotten worse as his conference has gotten easier or the number of convicted manslaughterers and rapists he's signed in the past few years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Quote:_________________________________________________a few of those years( i think 2009) will have 2 of those teams in the same year._________________________________________________
I think one of those games per year is great for y'all, but two is too many. If I were a USM fan, my ideal schedule would be:

8 CUSA games
1 big-time road game (or a 1-for-2 or home-and-home if you can swing it)
1 Div. I-AA home game
2 home-and-homes vs. mid-majors

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I would like to see less games at 2 PM. I realize TV times dictate some of this but that is not the always the case. Why in the hell would we want to play at 2 o'clock if we aren't on television? The worst reasons I have received when bitching about this after the game is over while sitting at my tent watching the masses exit the junction at 6 PM are:

1. The elderly fans want it early because it gets cold in the evenings

2. A lot of people don't want to have to spend the night so they wouldn't come it if was late

3. We have always done it that way (my response always includes a rule 17 in these situations)

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login