Great article on the Athletic about Leach and MSU going forward...

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
Really good. I do love how in 2023 someone still called Leachs Air Raid “speedy”
When he had the players to run it at full blast, it was speedy. We didn't have those players, so he slowed it down. The offense still worked pretty well all things considered.

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Won't let me read....and the ad won't let me out unless I sign up. So had to back out of the Athletic article all together. I will never read anything from the Athletic.......ever! They lost me as a potential customer for pulling stuff like that.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Man, Arnett has done and said all the things you would have hoped he would have done up to this point. His perspective and approach is great, and fits nicely for MSU too in his common sense, blue collar approach. Now its time to win games because if he does not do that, the rest dont matter....
That's true Moorhead said a lot of the right things early. Well except pool day during two a days like high school and making fitz a vertical passer

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I really like this quote from Barbay.

“The common sense piece is let’s figure out who our best 11 players are and what they do well, how to get them in those situations and matchups.”

We will see if it actually happens, but it would be a nice change from Don sticking with the same old players

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I really like this quote from Barbay.

“The common sense piece is let’s figure out who our best 11 players are and what they do well, how to get them in those situations and matchups.”

We will see if it actually happens, but it would be a nice change from Don sticking with the same old players
It’s been 5 years and we’re on our third head coach since Mullen, maybe let’s let this grudge die?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
They are guaranteed to b itch if we get stopped running on 3rd and 2 if the slot receiver is slightly open.
I predict we will shatter all and any records for second-guessing and bitching about our offense. If he does well, it will be because CML trained the offensive players. If we struggle, we will re-examine every play repeatedly and gripe that we either need to RTGDB or pass it more. It will make the length of our political threads look minuscule.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
It’s been 5 years and we’re on our third head coach since Mullen, maybe let’s let this grudge die?

Yeah maybe it’s just a “time heals all wounds” thing for me but I’ve gotten over my beef with Mullen too.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Yeah maybe it’s just a “time heals all wounds” thing for me but I’ve gotten over my beef with Mullen too.

I'm the same way. He's still a smart as s yankee douche just like he was when he was here but I don't have anything against him OTHER THAN, he should have stayed one more year and then left

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
I'm the same way. He's still a smart as s yankee douche just like he was when he was here but I don't have anything against him OTHER THAN, he should have stayed one more year and then left
I still don’t love the guy. I think he was a great coach for us, I was bitter when he left and glad it didn’t work out at Florida. I feel like he’ll get another shot if he wants it and I guess wish him success.
I just found it odd for IBMD to call out Dan specifically on this issue instead of contrasting him with Leach.

Along the same vein, I remember when Mullen was hired and he was asked about his “system,” he talked about tailoring it to the players he has rather than trying to force guys into an offense they weren’t suited for. That was such a welcome change from Croom and the West Coast Offense. Man we’ve come a long way.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Along the same vein, I remember when Mullen was hired and he was asked about his “system,” he talked about tailoring it to the players he has rather than trying to force guys into an offense they weren’t suited for. That was such a welcome change from Croom and the West Coast Offense. Man we’ve come a long way.

Then Sloe Joe brought his offense in and we were back to trying to force a square peg into a round hole.

campshelbydog1116

Oct 27, 2022
I still don’t love the guy. I think he was a great coach for us, I was bitter when he left and glad it didn’t work out at Florida. I feel like he’ll get another shot if he wants it and I guess wish him success.
I just found it odd for IBMD to call out Dan specifically on this issue instead of contrasting him with Leach.

And Mullen gave us our best offenses in school history by a very wide margin.

Reactions: mcdawg22 and patdog

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Based on my Gut Instincts which have had not so good results due to my STATE Homerism, I genuinely think our overall potential is being underestimated. I'm expecting something special and unexpected this year. And ill keep saying the same every year till I get it right.

Reactions: The Fatboy

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Mike Leach was known mostly for being a quirky guy with an innovative offense. But he doesn’t get nearly the credit as he should for being able to build and run a program. He was excellent at it. His players never got in trouble, they were disciplined and he instilled that mindset in his assistant coaches. That’s why so many of them have gone on to be successful head coaches themselves. Arnett learned from one of the best their is in creating a great program culture so hopefully he can keep it going.

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
Mike Leach was known mostly for being a quirky guy with an innovative offense. But he doesn’t get nearly the credit as he should for being able to build and run a program. He was excellent at it. His players never got in trouble, they were disciplined and he instilled that mindset in his assistant coaches. That’s why so many of them have gone on to be successful head coaches themselves. Arnett learned from one of the best their is in creating a great program culture so hopefully he can keep it going.
Agree completely and did so as the utter antithesis of the modern football world. How a quirky, frumpy, kinda grumpy old man connected with today's players and staff was interesting to watch. There were any number of instances that could have sent things sideways over the past 3 years and never heard a peep from the players or organization. Funny as well that for as disciplined as the organization was, he was about as undisciplined as they come but it somehow still translated. Truly one of one.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I remember a Road Dawgs meeting prior to his first season and someone asked, “Coach, are we gonna have a good quarterback this year?”

Mullen said “I hope so, but if not, we won’t use a QB.”

I always kinda wanted to see that. Lol.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login