Green Bay vs. Philadelphia- Mississippi State representing

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
That sucks that they don't say Miss State. Why say Yazoo High School ? Slay said his high school also.
That’s where he grew up… probably has lots of friends and family that still live there and means something to them to hear Yazoo High get a shout out. I was in Yazoo just last weekend and saw lots of Eagles hats and shirts. Can’t imagine that was the case before Cox was in the NFL.

Reactions: chuckster.sixpack

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
That’s where he grew up… probably has lots of friends and family that still live there and means something to them to hear Yazoo High get a shout out. I was in Yazoo just last weekend and saw lots of Eagles hats and shirts. Can’t imagine that was the case before Cox was in the NFL.
Ok, I'll give Cox a pass. What are Smith and Slay's reasons? What pisses me off is I don't think I've ever heard an OM player say their high school name. Not that it's a big deal, just saying...

Eta- MSU had a lot more to do with getting them there than their high school did. And, why couldn't they say their high school name first and then MSU?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cantdoitsal

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Ok, I'll give Cox a pass. What are Smith and Slay's reasons? What pisses me off is I don't think I've ever heard an OM player say their high school name. Not that it's a big deal, just saying...

Eta- MSU had a lot more to do with getting them there than their high school did. And, why couldn't they say their high school name first and then MSU?

Its always a let down when regular, ole college grads realize that good old State U doesn’t mean nearly as much to theit favorite coaches and players.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
That sucks that they don't say Miss State. Why say Yazoo High School ? Slay said his high school also.
Fletcher Cox started it as a tribute to his High School coach, Kyle Wallace, who had a fatal heart attack at roughly 40. The coach was instrumental in getting him to State.

Here's a quote from an interview he did and anyone getting angry about him not saying State will just have to be angry:

Why do you say Yazoo City High School in your Sunday Night Football intro?

"So many reasons why. So many reasons. The number one reason is that it's just a tribute to my high school coach (Kyle Wallace) that died. He means so much to me. And number two, again, it goes back to me being a role model and wanting to say Yazoo City High School so maybe one middle-school-aged student is seeing that and when they hear 'Fletcher Cox, Yazoo City High School,' it's like, 'Wow, he really went to Yazoo City High School.' That's just one of the biggest things. I love my alma mater, I love Mississippi State University, but at the same time I want the kids in Yazoo City to see that one of their peers, someone from Yazoo City, is playing in the NFL."

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Fletcher Cox started it as a tribute to his High School coach, Kyle Wallace, who had a fatal heart attack at roughly 40. The coach was instrumental in getting him to State.

Here's a quote from an interview he did and anyone getting angry about him not saying State will just have to be angry:

Why do you say Yazoo City High School in your Sunday Night Football intro?

"So many reasons why. So many reasons. The number one reason is that it's just a tribute to my high school coach (Kyle Wallace) that died. He means so much to me. And number two, again, it goes back to me being a role model and wanting to say Yazoo City High School so maybe one middle-school-aged student is seeing that and when they hear 'Fletcher Cox, Yazoo City High School,' it's like, 'Wow, he really went to Yazoo City High School.' That's just one of the biggest things. I love my alma mater, I love Mississippi State University, but at the same time I want the kids in Yazoo City to see that one of their peers, someone from Yazoo City, is playing in the NFL."
So this is why he hates State? **

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I wonder how many other NFL Players say their H.S. as opposed to where they went to college.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I’m sure they all do it because they want to recognize their hometown, I like it. Don’t see a problem with it. It would be cool if they had enough time to shout out both but I don’t have a problem with hometown over college.

Someone posted below a quote from Cox on why he says Yazoo and it makes a lot of sense.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
My wife was passively listening to the game last night. She doesn't know who Fletcher Cox is (yeah, my bad there). When he said, "Yazoo City High School", she looked at me and said, "Did that guy just say his high school." I said, "yes", but was too embarrassed to tell her he was from MSU.

I think there's two kinds of fan takes on MSU players saying their high school--those that it upsets and those that pretend it doesn't upset.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login