Article Greg Sankey: SEC is last conference where ‘name actually means something’ - Nick Schultz

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
This is a good article if you missed it. I like the angle of what Sankey said.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I still kinda think the B1G has a good brand, with now adding the Rose Bowl schools.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I still kinda think the B1G has a good brand, with now adding the Rose Bowl schools.
I agree that the Big Ten has a good brand, but I think what Sankey is saying here is that the SEC was able to maintain its identity while still making some solid acquisitions. Sure, the Big Ten added 4 of the top Pac-12 schools, but did that really add anything to their brand? Texas and OU are bigger brands than the four of those combined and the SEC didn't have to abandon its geographic footprint, abandon its equal revenue sharing model, or create severe logistical issues for its members' athletic departments to add them. It also restored the Texas-Texas A&M rivalry.

The Big Ten gave up its geographic identity for the sake of two brand names (and threw a lifeline to two sort of brand names) and will have teams flying 5+ hours for conference games. The SEC added 100 miles to its farthest distance between schools.

And if you want to just take that quote completely out of context and take an originalist interpretation of the words Sankey said, it still holds true:
The teams in the Southeastern Conference are in the contiguous Southeastern part of the United States.
The Big Ten has more than 10 teams.
The Big 12 has more than 12 teams.
The Pac-12 has less than 12 teams.
The Atlantic Coast conference has landlocked teams and teams on the west coast.
Conference USA only covers 8 states and none north of Kentucky or Virginia.
The American only covers 10 states and none west of Texas.
The Mid-American Conference has teams in New York and Massachusetts.
The Sun Belt Conference has teams in Virginia and West Virginia, which are not in the Sun Belt.
The only other one I can't really fault is the current Mountain West. All their teams are in Mountainous and/or Western regions.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login