Gregg Ellis Twitter Thread

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
Is it safe to say that Ellis is not a big John Cohen fan based on his Twitter thread on the coaching search? Mentioning that there should be no egos in the search and that he isn’t applying because he is not a yes man and is willing to speak up? What happened with him and MSU?

Bully1972

Jan 2, 2020
I believe he formerly held the position as a SID at MSU.l Before that seems like he was at the Tupelo Daily Journal.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Gregg knows college basketball as well as anybody in this state outside of former coaches. I don’t think he necessarily dislikes Cohen but he’s passionate about MSU basketball and is sick of seeing the program not succeed like it can.

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Let's not act like he's some beloved State figure. Right or wrong, He rubs a lot of people the wrong way.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I'll preface by saying I like Gregg.

However, I get perturbed when people use the "You guys dont know how hard this staff works. They're watching video when players are in bed. blah blah blah...." as an excuse. EVERY coaching staff does that at this level. It comes up every time any team fires a coach and it is stupid.

Whether the coaching change is right, wrong or indifferent, these stupid excuses dont need to be voiced.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I don't think it was any kind of excuse - I took it more as he was just being polite to Howland & his staff.

But I think he's also saying don't fire Howland just to 17 up and hire another Rick Ray or Joe Moorhead.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Gregg is always measured. I tend to subscribe to what he says about our bball program. He's just throwing out generic clichés to soften his take. Its the PR in him doing that. His overarching message is correct.

Yeti

Feb 20, 2018
John isn’t the sharpest that’s become apparent…he doesn’t get a pass because of baseball….. it’s not big time at many schools. I’m willing to call it now, assistant coach from a high level or mid major head coach we know nothing about. The new coach will not come from the list that’s Jorts page is putting out….Vic knew the score

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I don't think it was any kind of excuse - I took it more as he was just being polite to Howland & his staff.

But I think he's also saying don't fire Howland just to 17 up and hire another Rick Ray or Joe Moorhead.

I get what you and he are saying but in fairness to rick ray, howland and ray have the same number Of NCAAT wins…

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
John wasn't put in his position because he was the "sharpest". This should be evident to everyone by now.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

If we don't know who our basketball coach is for next season, then Cohen already 17ed up this process. I can't believe he fired Howland based on agents saying their client would be interested after his experience with the baseball search. Surely we have a deal more or less hammered out at this point.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login