Grilling fish for Crazy Cotton

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
Earlier thread was locked. But in there was an innocuous question about cooking fish on a gas/charcoal grill posted by Crazy Cotton. Yes Crazy, you can grill fish on an open grill or fire. You need a basket like the one here.

https://www.amazon.com/ORDORA-Portable-Rustproof-Stainless-Accessories/dp/B081CKP211

It holds the fish together for you. I have no idea if this is a good one or not, it's just the first link I come to when I google fish grilling basket.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I grill reds, snapper, trout, flounder etc all the time, I just use tin foil with no issue. I brush the fish in melted butter before I season and it’s no problem.
Blackened in a skillet is the best way to me though. Same process but I like it blackened over grilled

Last edited:

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Same here, punch some holes in a piece of foil that's bigger than your fillets so the juices can drip and add that smoked flavor and you can use the excess to fold over and flip the fillets. I have 2 baskets but never use them

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I also like soaking a cedar plank and putting the fish directly on it. Works really well with salmon.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Educate me on grill grates please, I don't get them? I don't have flare up problems unless I'm using plain ole cheap ground beef, which is never. For me, "grill marks" are the most oversold term in outdoor cooking because they add nothing, just ask a blind man. So other than prevent flare ups and add worthless "grill marks" what do they add? For my favorite Weber Kettle that cost under $200 these grates are $150? I'm not opposed if there's something I'm missing but that sounds like a lot of gimmick to me

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have still never caught a red. I have wanted to try one that way for a while now.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
First, grill marks are not color. They are flavor (Maillard reaction). If you don't agree with that, we can't have this conversation. Secondarily, they hold heat much better so you get a better cook. 3rd, they have a flat side so you can do fish, bacon, etc. You can just about do anything a Blackstone will do except rice and eggs. Lastly, when cooking on the grooved sides, the drippings hitting the grill do add significant grilled flavor to the food.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Best redfish recipe...on the halfshell in a foil boat, add pats of butter to the top of the fillet, sprinkle it with McCormick Salad Supreme, cover that with thinly cut slices of lemon. That butter and seasoning does something special to redfish. Damn good.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
I'll say it again...Grillgrates. https://www.grillgrate.com/

The grill I inherited in this house we moved to is basically that. Sheet of metal between the flame and grate. They call it infrared which is ridiculous, but it cooks pretty good.

I don’t step outside cooking steaks any longer. I’m reverse sear pretty much all the time. Oven/cast iron

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login