Grizz trade for Marcus Smart

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Some fans on here...so happy or angry about the trade?

Smart in place of Jones seems like a win.

Smart was, by all accounts, a stable presence in the Celtics locker room, an intelligent player, a respected leader, and a good representative for the franchise.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Now that we'll be without Ja for the first quarter of the season this is huge. Interested to see how he and Ja will play together

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Probably my least liked player in the league. Hope it works out for Grizzlies.

MSF87

Sep 29, 2022
This was absolutely out of nowhere, but I like it. They were going to move Jones either way, they gave up two 1st round picks that will both likely be later in the round (unless the Warriors have a bad season), and Smart is on a team-friendly contract for everything he brings. It's a solution to two problems at once: who starts in place of Ja, and who replaces Brooks' perimeter defense.

It also allows them to start the lineup of Smart, Bane, Kennard, JJJ and Adams. That's both of the reigning DPOY's, and two of the best 3-point shooters in the league. Defensively I don't think they could have had both Jones and Kennard in the lineup. Not sure what the starting 5 looks like upon Morant's return, but there's plenty of time to figure that out.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm ok with it. It's not overwhelming or underwhelming. It's just whelming. I'm just proud to see that the Grizz have evolved beyond being a place for other franchises to dump bad contracts and cash.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Seems a little pricey but personnel wise he makes a ton of sense. Can play PG or the Brooks role but with better contribution on offense. I think the fans will end up liking him much in the same way they did with TA9. Gritty emotional player. Even went to Okie State...

Reactions: Dawgg

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006

Smart was, by all accounts, a stable presence in the Celtics locker room, an intelligent player, a respected leader, and a good representative for the franchise.
Not a trade that I was expecting, but we needed a PG, leadership, and defense, and Smart brings all those things to the table in one package.

I hate that Tyus got shipped off to Washington, but he just has one year left before becoming a FA, and I'm not convinced that any legit contending team is going to bring him in as their starting PG. He's solid, but there's a reason that he's been a career backup.

Anyway, considering the circumstances, I'm pleased. Still need a dependable wing and someone behind Adams at the 5 though. JJJ playing help defense alongside a center like Adams is money, but JJJ having to actually fill in it at 5 can turn into a train wreck at times.

Reactions: Dawgg

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012

He’s streaky as a scorer ….but constantly hustles and possesses dawg in the tank ….I See it being a Nice fit

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Major difference between Tony Allen & Smart:

Smart has played over 20,000 minutes at age 29 when acquired by Grizzlies

Allen played roughly 6,500 minutes at age 29 when acquired by Grizzlies

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login