Gun Restoration

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
Any recommendations for a good gunsmith? My mom gave me an old Hopkins and Allen double barrel break action shotgun that was owned by my grandfather that is around 120-years old. It is in pretty good shape, but needs some work and re-bluing. I plan to get it restored and give it to my son as a family heirloom type deal (since his great-grandfather bought it). I know how to Google, but thought I’d start here in hopes that someone has a good recommendation.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
Borthwick Ballistics. Guy is outside Sturgis in the middle of nowhere. His passion is antique weapons and has worked on guns from the revolutionary war period.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Any recommendations for a good gunsmith? My mom gave me an old Hopkins and Allen double barrel break action shotgun that was owned by my grandfather that is around 120-years old. It is in pretty good shape, but needs some work and re-bluing. I plan to get it restored and give it to my son as a family heirloom type deal (since his great-grandfather bought it). I know how to Google, but thought I’d start here in hopes that someone has a good recommendation.
Leave it alone other than to get it into working condition. I let my Dad talk me into letting him redo (he was good at it) the appearance of an old shotgun he bought for me. It cut the value in half.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Leave it alone other than to get it into working condition. I let my Dad talk me into letting him redo (he was good at it) the appearance of an old shotgun he bought for me. It cut the value in half.

I would tend to agree with this. Re-bluing will kill the value unless you're not interested in the money. I toyed with the idea on a couple of my great grandfather's shotguns but decided to keep them as they are.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I know a guy in southwest Mississippi I could put you in touch with. I think he's good, but don't have any first-hand experience with his work.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
That’s good advice, thank you. It is in good condition and the only “broken” part is the spring on the break action lever. It’s not rusted and I just assumed re-bluing would help the value (not that I’m looking to sell it). I was hoping that a good gunsmith would guide me on what I should do. Thanks again.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Concur with doing as little as possible to it, especially if he may want to display it one day. You don't want it looking like a new shotgun, you want it to look 120 years old. As far as monetary value, it is probably not going to have a great deal of value not matter what you do, but as an heirloom/display piece, you want it as original as possible. At least this is what Rick from Pawn Stars would tell you.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
That’s good advice, thank you. It is in good condition and the only “broken” part is the spring on the break action lever. It’s not rusted and I just assumed re-bluing would help the value (not that I’m looking to sell it). I was hoping that a good gunsmith would guide me on what I should do. Thanks again.

if it's not rusted, can't imagine a good gun smith suggesting bluing a shotgun that old. That's awesome. Hope he can fix the "broken" part for you. Good luck. Post of photo.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017

I would highly recommend Borthwick Ballistics. Talking to him when I took an 870 for him to work on he mentioned he hated when people brought in antique guns and wanted to change them up to look new or modern. He will talk to you and answer all of your questions and recommend what would be best. His number is 662-251-1832.

Indognito

May 27, 2016
If you have the gun repaired mechanically but leave the original patina on the gun then future generations can see it as your grandfather used it. To me that's a valuable heirloom with memories intact.

SwampDawg

Feb 24, 2008
Concur with doing as little as possible to it, especially if he may want to display it one day. You don't want it looking like a new shotgun, you want it to look 120 years old. As far as monetary value, it is probably not going to have a great deal of value not matter what you do, but as an heirloom/display piece, you want it as original as possible. At least this is what Rick from Pawn Stars would tell you.
I also concur. I inherited a Colt Lightning .38 revolver, made in early 1900s, from my father. He was not a gun guy, so I have no idea when or where or why he bought it. It is worn and used, both panels on the birdshead grip are worn smooth in the middle. If it could talk ...

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I would highly recommend Borthwick Ballistics. Talking to him when I took an 870 for him to work on he mentioned he hated when people brought in antique guns and wanted to change them up to look new or modern. He will talk to you and answer all of your questions and recommend what would be best. His number is 662-251-1832.
I talked to Zak earlier and am going to ship it to him. Super nice guy (we talked for 20-mins) and he wants to look at it before recommending what he thinks is needed to restore while keeping it authentic.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login