Hailey Van Lith

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
At ls-who, she was out of place. A step in the wrong direction.
Was it a step in the wrong direction?
She transferred and took on a role that say her shoot less and playmake more.

I ask the question because multiple times now I've read the claim that transferring was a mistake, and the justification is that she scored less. Well yeah she scored less, but she shot less too. Her role changed.
Her team made it to the Elite8 and lost to Clark...which is exactly what happened the year prior at Louisville.

She didn't win a championship, but it sure doesn't seem like it was a clear case of going in the wrong direction.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Was it a step in the wrong direction?
She transferred and took on a role that say her shoot less and playmake more.

I ask the question because multiple times now I've read the claim that transferring was a mistake, and the justification is that she scored less. Well yeah she scored less, but she shot less too. Her role changed.
Her team made it to the Elite8 and lost to Clark...which is exactly what happened the year prior at Louisville.

She didn't win a championship, but it sure doesn't seem like it was a clear case of going in the wrong direction.
So she did no better with an allegedly better team. I do think LSU was a bad fit for her. She was a star last year. This year, she’s just one of LSU’s guards.

Reactions: L4MANDW

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I watched her quite a few times this year. She was definitely not a good fit at LSU. They desperately needed a good playmaker. A Morgan William type. She is not that.

I'm honestly not very impressed with her. I mean, if she's interested in State I'd be happy to have her, but I don't think she comes in and makes a huge difference.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So she did no better with an allegedly better team. I do think LSU was a bad fit for her. She was a star last year. This year, she’s just one of LSU’s guards.
Yeah, it just didn't seem like a step in the wrong direction to me. Lateral step, I guess?

She knew she would be asked to shoot less and decided to give it a go. She shot less and assisted more. She made it to the Elite 8.
And if she did all that despite it being a bad fit, that's even more impressive.
Just not sure why it's viewed as her going in the wrong direction, even though they didn't win the championship again. They got paired with Iowa...that's tough. Get in a different region and they play an easier Elite8 match up.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
The fact that she is transferring after just one season kind of shows that she feels she wasn’t a good fit at LSU. She will probably command a lot of NIL money, so the chances of her coming here are next to nothing.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Yeah, it just didn't seem like a step in the wrong direction to me. Lateral step, I guess?

She knew she would be asked to shoot less and decided to give it a go. She shot less and assisted more. She made it to the Elite 8.
And if she did all that despite it being a bad fit, that's even more impressive.
Just not sure why it's viewed as her going in the wrong direction, even though they didn't win the championship again. They got paired with Iowa...that's tough. Get in a different region and they play an easier Elite8 match up.
In an era where stars make big money with NIL deals, I would’ve expected her to go somewhere she would be the star, if her goal was to make money. If her goal was to win a championship, it’s hard to argue LSU was a bad choice. It just didn’t work out.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
In an era where stars make big money with NIL deals, I would’ve expected her to go somewhere she would be the star, if her goal was to make money. If her goal was to win a championship, it’s hard to argue LSU was a bad choice. It just didn’t work out.
If she wanted to win a championship, the best bet would have been to go to South Carolina, but I'm not sure if Dawn would have wanted her.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Didn’t LSU win the championship in 2023?
Yes, but they weren't the best team in the nation or even the conference. Sometimes, in a one game takes it all situation, the best team doesn't win it all. South Carolina was the best team last year and is the best team this year. If you are looking to go to next year's champion, I would still take South Carolina. And I would take them this year too.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
We must define “best” differently
I'll ask you these questions then - when they played straight up, who won? Who was favored? If they would have played in the finals, who would have been favored?

As I said - in one game anything can happen and the best team doesn't always win the tournament.

To put it another way - we beat UK in the SEC tournament in 1996. They went on to win the NCAA tournament that year. Who was better?

In this case, UK was better. But why did we win? The answer to that is what I just stated - in one game anything can happen.

To compare USC and LSU - just look at their overall records to determine who was better overall.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
I'll ask you these questions then - when they played straight up, who won? Who was favored? If they would have played in the finals, who would have been favored?

As I said - in one game anything can happen and the best team doesn't always win the tournament.

To put it another way - we beat UK in the SEC tournament in 1996. They went on to win the NCAA tournament that year. Who was better?

In this case, UK was better. But why did we win? The answer to that is what I just stated - in one game anything can happen.

To compare USC and LSU - just look at their overall records to determine who was better overall.
Take a deep breath, Ms Staley. I said it would be hard to argue that playing for LSU was a bad choice if a player wanted to win a championship. I thought that coach’s and school’s recent history would be hard to argue against as a good candidate for winning a championship. I was clearly wrong. It is apparently an easy way to start an argument.

Last edited:

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
^ this. Way better said than how I have phrased things so far in this thread.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
She wasn’t up for that Mulkey Motivation!*****
Discovery Channel Wow GIF by Discovery

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
The fact that she is transferring after just one season kind of shows that she feels she wasn’t a good fit at LSU. She will probably command a lot of NIL money, so the chances of her coming here are next to nothing.
Hell, they even had her running around throwing the race card for the rest of them. Cannot be a good situation there at all, not to mention the smell of corndogs on everyone.

Reactions: FlotownDawg

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I didn't realize she was from Cashmere, WA. That's Chelan County, Washington which is probably one of the coolest place most people on SPS have never heard of...

Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 9.33.41 AM.png
Screen Shot 2024-04-05 at 10.44.09 AM.png

TXDawg.sixpack

Apr 10, 2009
Is she a shooting guard, if so, make a run at her. We could use another 3-pt shooting threat.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Anyone saying they wouldnt take her is an idiot. Right at 2,000 career points and 729 of those her last year at Louisville. Leadership and poise and knowledge of Purcell and comfort to go along with her experience with Mulkey.

There is no scenario where we wouldnt be better with her here.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Anyone saying they wouldnt take her is an idiot. Right at 2,000 career points and 729 of those her last year at Louisville. Leadership and poise and knowledge of Purcell and comfort to go along with her experience with Mulkey.

There is no scenario where we wouldnt be better with her here.

I hope she comes to Starkville and I hope you're right.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login