Hal Mumme

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Ive always wondered, mostly from his show with John Bond during his time at Belhaven and JSU, why he was never an option on staff at MSU when Mike got hired. I’ve heard some of you guys allude to some reason but never say it. I can’t help but notice Mike’s career went one direction, and Mumme’s went the other. So, what gives?

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Mumme got Kentucky into some pretty serious NCAA trouble which caused him to be fired. He never again got a major D1 coaching job after that. It’s like he was blackballed from major coaching jobs.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Social Media Popcorn GIF by Travis

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018
Mumme got Kentucky into some pretty serious NCAA trouble which caused him to be fired. He never again got a major D1 coaching job after that. It’s like he was blackballed from major coaching jobs.
Like what? I’ve never heard this

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
In four seasons, Mumme went 20-26 overall and 10-22 against SEC play. While Kentucky faced more than three dozen recruiting violations and was banned from postseason play in 2002, on top of losing 19 scholarships over the three subsequent seasons, Mumme did not receive any individual sanctions.

Reactions: patdog

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
In four seasons, Mumme went 20-26 overall and 10-22 against SEC play. While Kentucky faced more than three dozen recruiting violations and was banned from postseason play in 2002, on top of losing 19 scholarships over the three subsequent seasons, Mumme did not receive any individual sanctions.
He may not have received any individual sanctions, but those were heavy crippling sanctions that tanked Kentucky’s program for several years. His record wasn’t good enough for another major school to take a chance on a coach with those kind of sanctions on his resume, even if he wasn’t sanctioned individually.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
He was terrible at Belhaven. 8-32 in four seasons. New coach came in and has gone 3-2 (2020 shortened season), 7-3 and 8-2 with two conference coach of the year awards. Their two losses last year were by one score.

Reactions: preacher_dawg

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
So he’s useless even as a position coach or coordinator or analyst??
Useless? Probably not. But I don't think there is anything he particularly brings to the table that we can't get elsewhere. I may be wrong, but I don't think he's some x's and o's genius that struggles with other parts of coaching. I think he's just a mediocre coach.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Ive always wondered, mostly from his show with John Bond during his time at Belhaven and JSU, why he was never an option on staff at MSU when Mike got hired. I’ve heard some of you guys allude to some reason but never say it. I can’t help but notice Mike’s career went one direction, and Mumme’s went the other. So, what gives?
Mumme's record at Kentucky wasn't really that great. Sure they lit up the scoreboard and threw for a ton of yards, but his best season they went 7-5. They never scored less than 31 in a win, with three blowouts, but the other four wins were by margins of 2, 3, 4, and 5 points. They could score points in buckets but they couldn't stop anybody with a pulse.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Care to elaborate or is this message board top secret negative ******** like everything else you post?
I thought this was common knowledge. The dude is crazy. And a drunk. Funny guy though and brilliant football mind.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login