Halftime of the Arkansas game...

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Yet we have people on this board downright giddy at the thought of re-hiring The Dopester to re-live Halloway up the middle on 3rd and long.
I don’t think people are calling for Dan because they think he’s an elite coach. It’s that he’s a lot better than what we have now and likely better than anyone we could get.

Reactions: eckie1 and ckDOG

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Mullen explained how smart Millroe is for taking all those sacks instead of trying to make something out of nothing. 🤔

Guess Will Rogers is a football genius then!
The majority of the time people say Will is one the ground in the fetal position he knows he is about to get sacked so he wraps the ball up and falls down to keep from fumbling. Because he knows that's a problem. When they say he throws the ball in the stands he sees nobody open and is also about to get sacked but has time to get rid of it.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
I would rather take the chance that Arnett figures it out than bring Mullen back.
I get that, but the counterpoint would be that “Arnett figuring it out” likely means getting us back to the level Mullen had us. And if that is true, why not just re-hire the guy who has already proven he can do that?

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
I don’t think people are calling for Dan because they think he’s an elite coach. It’s that he’s a lot better than what we have now and likely better than anyone we could get.
The Dopester was a good coach and at times a great coach. Unfortunately the times he was a great coach coincided when he was trying his best to get out of Starkville. Between the salary we provided and the salary and buyout from Flarda, Dopey Dan now has F You type money and is currently being paid well by ESPN. If we hire him back, we are getting the 2013 or 2016 version of the Dopester, not the 2010 Mullen.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
The Dopester was a good coach and at times a great coach. Unfortunately the times he was a great coach coincided when he was trying his best to get out of Starkville. Between the salary we provided and the salary and buyout from Flarda, Dopey Dan now has F You type money and is currently being paid well by ESPN. If we hire him back, we are getting the 2013 or 2016 version of the Dopester, not the 2010 Mullen.
I’d like to think people are smarter than this, but I’m always disappointed.

So you think Dan only tried hard in the years he wanted to leave and that’s why he was good? He just woke up in 2014 thinking, “Man, I gotta get out of this place. Time to lock in”. And it had nothing to do with the prior 3+ years of recruiting and developing a Heisman Trophy candidate QB, one of the best WRs in school history and a future All Pro DL?

Man, I sure am glad he got the itch to leave!***

Reactions: Jacknut and CEO2044

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I’d like to think people are smarter than this, but I’m always disappointed.

So you think Dan only tried hard in the years he wanted to leave and that’s why he was good? He just woke up in 2014 thinking, “Man, I gotta get out of this place. Time to lock in”. And it had nothing to do with the prior 3+ years of recruiting and developing a Heisman Trophy candidate QB, one of the best WRs in school history and a future All Pro DL?

Man, I sure am glad he got the itch to leave!***
Not sure where you’re getting any of that from his post. What I read was that Dan was on the verge of getting us to the next level, but wasn’t interested in making it happen due to his job shopping. His career imploded, but he sure as hell made a **** ton of money thanks to a former male cheerleader we all know.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
So you think Dan only tried hard in the years he wanted to leave and that’s why he was good?
No, you common minded dummy. He was known for wanting to get out while playing our front office for raises every year. Whoring himself out for Maryland for fudge sake. There was no reason for our Egg Bowl loss in 2012. His best team ever in 2014 got crushed against a team led by Bo Dirt on one leg. And don’t even get me started on his 2017 Egg Bowl shiitshow where we lost even though we were 14 point favorites.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
No, you common minded dummy. He was known for wanting to get out while playing our front office for raises every year. Whoring himself out for Maryland for fudge sake. There was no reason for our Egg Bowl loss in 2012. His best team ever in 2014 got crushed against a team led by Bo Dirt on one leg. And don’t even get me started on his 2017 Egg Bowl shiitshow where we lost even though we were 14 point favorites.
I hate to break it to you, but when you win you’re gonna get calls from other schools. It has always happened and always will.

If Arnett stays and is successful, you think he’s gonna hang up the phone on other programs? Get real

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yet we have people on this board downright giddy at the thought of re-hiring The Dopester to re-live Halloway up the middle on 3rd and long.
Say what you want, but any Mississippi State fan who wouldn't take the whole of Dan Mullen's career here over the whole of any other coach we've had in the last 60 years is an idiot.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Watching Peyton Manning for all those years, I was always impressed how he just threw the ball away if the play wasn't there. I understand why Mahomes, etc., don't do that, they can move and make things happen, but for an immobile QB, just throw the ball out of bounds at the first hint of pressure.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Yeah there's way too much revisionist history going on with Dan among this fan base.
Thank you. He had one “special” season, which still wound up being a tease and a giant disappointment in the end. His list of underachievements and blown opportunities in those 9 years is a mile long….and contrary to popular belief, started in Year 17ing one.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Thank you. He had one “special” season, which still wound up being a tease and a giant disappointment in the end. His list of underachievements and blown opportunities in those 9 years is a mile long….and contrary to popular belief, started in Year 17ing one.
He gets so much credit for getting that 6/7 wins every year by the poor ol' Mithippi Thate crowd who loves to reminisce about the good old days when we were getting skull dragged by Mississippi Southern. The reality is he was in the right place at the right time....he came in when expectations were at an all-time low thanks to his incompetent predecessor, the 12 game schedule was a relatively new thing, and it was really easy to get bowl eligible, even with a losing SEC record. He won exactly two big games in his tenure - both in 2014 (Auburn and A&M). He lost every other big game he ever played in. Most of the time, we looked unprepared in those games. He gets credit for doing "what nobody else ever did here" but the reality is he didn't do anything special. Any coach with a pulse could've matched that and many could have done better.

We need to stop settling for mediocrity. And when we have periods of crappiness, we need to stop looking back favorably at the days of medocrity.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
He won exactly two big games in his tenure - both in 2014 (Auburn and A&M). He lost every other big game he ever played in.

I’d dispute whether those were truly even big games. Auburn - maybe, but they finished 8-4 and barely ranked. It was a much bigger game in the moment than it was in reality. That A&M team went 7-5 and went to the Liberty Bowl. I’d put the 2009 and 2013 Egg Bowl wins above both of those.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Mullen explained how smart Millroe is for taking all those sacks instead of trying to make something out of nothing. 🤔

Guess Will Rogers is a football genius then!

Most qbs are taught that. The whole mobile qb is a false narrative.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I’d dispute whether those were truly even big games. Auburn - maybe, but they finished 8-4 and barely ranked. It was a much bigger game in the moment than it was in reality. That A&M team went 7-5 and went to the Liberty Bowl. I’d put the 2009 and 2013 Egg Bowl wins above both of those.
At the time, the Auburn game was #3 vs #2. Easily the biggest game in this program's history, and it's not close. The A&M game was the first ranked opponent after reaching #1. The perfect opportunity to Mississippi State things and we didn't. Those two stand above the rest by a large margin. How they finished the year doesn't matter because we had something to do with that. And I probably don't need to remind anyone how we ended that year too.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Danny Dbag decided to leave us and told AD he had done all he could do here.

Michael Biehn Wtf GIF by GritTV

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
He gets so much credit for getting that 6/7 wins every year by the poor ol' Mithippi Thate crowd who loves to reminisce about the good old days when we were getting skull dragged by Mississippi Southern. The reality is he was in the right place at the right time....he came in when expectations were at an all-time low thanks to his incompetent predecessor, the 12 game schedule was a relatively new thing, and it was really easy to get bowl eligible, even with a losing SEC record. He won exactly two big games in his tenure - both in 2014 (Auburn and A&M). He lost every other big game he ever played in. Most of the time, we looked unprepared in those games. He gets credit for doing "what nobody else ever did here" but the reality is he didn't do anything special. Any coach with a pulse could've matched that and many could have done better.

We need to stop settling for mediocrity. And when we have periods of crappiness, we need to stop looking back favorably at the days of medocrity.
Everyone says don’t settle for mediocrity and “there goes the poor ol' Mithippi Thate crowd” until it’s time to hire a coach and reality hits.

No matter what mindset you have, we aren’t an attractive job. It’s a simple, unfortunate fact.

2018: Came down for Moorhead and Jeremy Pruitt

2020: Turned down by Napier. Offered Joe Judge, could have ended up with Todd Grantham before Leach came out of nowhere.

If the job comes open again, what does “not settling for mediocrity” look like? Another highly regarded OC/DC with no HC experience and hope for the best? A G5 HC left over after bigger programs take their pick? Please enlighten me.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
That was a very very bad Michigan team though. They barely got bowl eligible and was in the midst of coach transition.
It was more fun for me to know we beat their fans down more than the team, they thought it was going to be a cake walk for them. Damn bunch of grown men wearing kids football jerseys, never seen that many of them in one spot doing it before or since

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
1. Dan built a solid program but was terrible at personally recruiting face-to-face.
2. Dan did well at picking QB but was average to poor at OL.
3. Dan talked a great game to the press but made bonehead decisions during the game, especially clock management.
4. Dan signed or developed some of the best players we ever had, but he also played less talented players in favor of established players because they had seniority. He wasn't big on giving somebody new a chance.
5. Dan started strong during his last few seasons but disappeared in November. I can't for sure say what happened, but it seemed like he was concentrating more on where he might find a more significant job than finishing the one he presently had.
6. Dan has the MSU buyout money plus the money that Florida paid him and then paid him to leave, so why would he come back to coaching when he has a new gig with ESPN?

The last thing is that we have not done well and other people have not done well bringing a coach back once they left. I think they look at Dan as a security blanket and it reminds me too much of Ron Polk coming back from Georgia. Everybody got excited because we were bringing back the man who built the program. it didn't work at all.

Reactions: knock him out john

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
We know what we are getting. We had some really good years with him.

Reactions: patdog

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Everyone says don’t settle for mediocrity and “there goes the poor ol' Mithippi Thate crowd” until it’s time to hire a coach and reality hits.

No matter what mindset you have, we aren’t an attractive job. It’s a simple, unfortunate fact.

2018: Came down for Moorhead and Jeremy Pruitt

2020: Turned down by Napier. Offered Joe Judge, could have ended up with Todd Grantham before Leach came out of nowhere.

If the job comes open again, what does “not settling for mediocrity” look like? Another highly regarded OC/DC with no HC experience and hope for the best? A G5 HC left over after bigger programs take their pick? Please enlighten me.
Dan Mullen part daux would be a perfect example of settling for mediocrity. We can do better. And I don't want to hear about coaching candidates in 2017 and 2019. That was a failure of leadership targeting bums. There were and always are good candidates to be had.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
At the time, the Auburn game was #3 vs #2. Easily the biggest game in this program's history, and it's not close. The A&M game was the first ranked opponent after reaching #1. The perfect opportunity to Mississippi State things and we didn't. Those two stand above the rest by a large margin. How they finished the year doesn't matter because we had something to do with that. And I probably don't need to remind anyone how we ended that year too.
You don’t even have the basic facts right. We didn’t reach #1 until beating Auburn, the week AFTER aTm.

I don’t even care about y’all’s dumb argument. Just pointing out your lack of research. Other posters may want to keep this in mind in the future when they get hit with a full bore baseless drebin attack.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Dan Mullen part daux would be a perfect example of settling for mediocrity. We can do better. And I don't want to hear about coaching candidates in 2017 and 2019. That was a failure of leadership targeting bums. There were and always are good candidates to be had.
We can get anyone we want.**

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
“At the time” are the key words, because of a false narrative that Auburn was actually an elite team. But the season played out and the truth came out. Mullen didn’t suck in big games because he was uptight. He just never could put a good game plan together against teams with equal or better talent. But that Auburn team was neither….and that’s a big reason we pulled it out.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login