Happy 3-2 15th Anniversary

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Today marks the 15th anniversary of the game that set football back decades. I was there to watch this debacle in all its magnificent glory. We created a whopping 116 yards of offense that day behind our gunslinger Wesley Carroll. I'm thinking we need to dedicate a statue by the Junction Johns for this grand achievement.

• Sad
Reactions: horshack.sixpack

biodawg

Mar 3, 2008
NEZ aluminum bleachers. That night did me a lot of good. That night I realized that it did me no good to get mad about the outcome of a sporting event. Ever since then, sure, I might be ornery for an hour or two after a loss, but I don’t get mad anymore. Except maybe Kentucky in 2018. I was mad as hell after that game.

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
Today marks the 15th anniversary of the game that set football back decades. I was there to watch this debacle in all its magnificent glory. We created a whopping 116 yards of offense that day behind our gunslinger Wesley Carroll. I'm thinking we need to dedicate a statue by the Junction Johns for this grand achievement.
That game didn't bother me because the defensive efforts were great. I frankly wish games were lower-scoring than they are now. Today, we have what I refer to as, "basketball on grass." Ridiculous scores. Football wasn't originally intended to produce such scoring. Defense seems to be a lost art, due I think to the intentional and frequent change of rules, in the belief that it will make for more TV money. One of the worst such changes has been the excessive relaxation of the offensive holding rule for OL's, which I believe has been changed more than once over the years, to negate the success of DL play.

MagnoliaHunter

Jan 23, 2007
That game didn't bother me because the defensive efforts were great. I frankly wish games were lower-scoring than they are now. Today, we have what I refer to as, "basketball on grass." Ridiculous scores. Football wasn't originally intended to produce such scoring. Defense seems to be a lost art, due I think to the intentional and frequent change of rules, in the belief that it will make for more TV money. One of the worst such changes has been the excessive relaxation of the offensive holding rule for OL's, which I believe has been changed more than once over the years, to negate the success of DL play.
Don't forget those ridiculous gloves that they allow receivers to wear. They are so sticky if you had those and socks made out of the same material you could climb walls. They're why you see so many one handed catches. They are MUCH more effective than the old stickem that they outlawed.

Reactions: MSUDOG24

STATEgrad04

Mar 3, 2008
Thats one of the hottest games I can ever remember being at. Not sure what the actual temp was that night, but I just remember the stands were packed and the air was stagnant...and the shittee performance. It was just miserable all the way around.

Reactions: onewoof

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
NEZ aluminum bleachers. That night did me a lot of good. That night I realized that it did me no good to get mad about the outcome of a sporting event. Ever since then, sure, I might be ornery for an hour or two after a loss, but I don’t get mad anymore. Except maybe Kentucky in 2018. I was mad as hell after that game.
If you saw a guy who looked too old to be a student with greying hair, smashing his cowbell into the bleachers. That was me. That is where I was sitting. Right in front of our only score of the night.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014

I meant to do a "laugh" and not a "like"...
One of the good things about living in Texas (well, there are none now, but 15 years ago...) is that most of the time, I could avoid harassment if we had a crappy day. The 2 exceptions were this game, and Maine. Maine was on a Saturday...
This atrocity HAD to be on a Thursday! So I go into the office on Friday, and first thing in the morning, was greeted by a Bama coworker who just said "So, 3 to 2, huh?" All I could do was laugh, and confess to staying up too late because I watched the whole stupid thing.

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
I think I remember our punter putting on a clinic in that game. I recall him booting one for like 13 yds and backing that up with a 20 something yarder the next attempt. Just a shat show all around!

Reactions: onewoof

was21

May 29, 2007
Croom still sucks. Hopefully, he will never be invited back for any occasion. He dissed Mississippi State the entire time he was there.

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I think I remember our punter putting on a clinic in that game. I recall him booting one for like 13 yds and backing that up with a 20 something yarder the next attempt. Just a shat show all around!
He may have had some short ones, but I also remember him pinning Auburn inside the 10 yard line about three times. One of those times led to the safety. That’s why it made absolutely no sense for Croom to go for it on 4th and 15 from midfield with 4 minutes to go in the game. Plan should’ve been to pin them deep and then try to get a turnover, which Auburn already had about four in the game. But Croom had a “gut feeling” to go for it, ran a terrible play where two of our receivers ran into each other trying to catch the ball and gave it to Auburn at midfield. Lo and behold, two plays later Auburn fumbled it back to us, but instead of having the ball inside the 20, we had it on our own 40, and Henig promptly threw a pick to end the game. Just a great night of football

Last edited:

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
He may have had some short ones, but I also remember him pinning Auburn inside the 10 yard line about three times. One of those times led to the safety. That’s why it made absolutely no sense for Croom to go for it on 4th and 15 from midfield with 4 minutes to go in the game. Plan should’ve been to pin them deep and then try to get a turnover, which Auburn already had about four in the game. But Croom had a “gut feeling” to go for it, ran a terrible play where two of our receivers ran into each other trying to catch the ball and gave it to Auburn at midfield. Lo and behold, two plays later Auburn fumbled it back to us, but instead of having the ball inside the 20, we had it on our own 40, and Henig promptly threw a pick to end the game. Just a great night of football
If there’s one thing I know, it’s that Croom’s gut feelings were never anything more than bad gas

• Haha
Reactions: FlotownDawg

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Just looking at the stats for the game will make you weep.
MSU had 116 yards of total offense, gained six first downs, was 0-14 on third down and 0-3 on fourth down. Also shanked a 35 yard field goal about 30 feet left.
Auburn did gain 315 total yards but lost three fumbles and missed a 21 yard field goal. Was 3-16 on third down and had 12 penalties for 94 yards.
All in all, one of the worst SEC games ever played.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I forgot that the 2 points came off a penalty. State didn't even tackle the ball carrier in the endzone.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I meant to do a "laugh" and not a "like"...
One of the good things about living in Texas (well, there are none now, but 15 years ago...) is that most of the time, I could avoid harassment if we had a crappy day. The 2 exceptions were this game, and Maine. Maine was on a Saturday...
This atrocity HAD to be on a Thursday! So I go into the office on Friday, and first thing in the morning, was greeted by a Bama coworker who just said "So, 3 to 2, huh?" All I could do was laugh, and confess to staying up too late because I watched the whole stupid thing.
You couldn't turn it off. I couldn't leave. One more bad play by Auburn that goes our way and we could have won. You can't leave a game close like that. You have to endure the entire ******* thing.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
I think the big change there was. . . remember this one if you remember football in the 70s and 80s? Illegal use of hands. Offensive players used to have to block pretty much handless. . .essentially with their forearms.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login