Happy 50th Birthday "Dark Side Of The Moon"

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
From a Commercial & Wide Expansive Range of audiences and radio stations with decades of Longevity and Success, the Greatest Album of all time. If stranded on a desert isle, it would be in my first group of only 3.

This one really makes you think once you get to age 60.

Last edited:

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
I have this very album. Yes, I said album. It is 50 years old. It is in album form because 50 years ago there was no such thing as digital music. I think I may even have a 50 year old turntable around here somewhere. I wonder if it would still work. It is belt drive, not the new-fangled (for then) direct drive, so the belt may be rotted with age by now.

Good times

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
I Still put it on after a mentally exhausting day at work.
Gets me mellowed out.

I was just a wee lad when my big brother introduced me to this masterpiece.
Before he dropped the needle in the groove I was skeptical, because all of their albums prior to Dark Side were of the strange psychedelic variety. The results were life-changing.

Aug 22, 2012
So my user name forces me to chime in. Dark Side is possibly the best concept album of all time. As for Pink Floyd work, Wish you Were Here has the best collection of independent singles that together actually made a damn good concept album in itself….although it was less a concept album than a message album. For the true Floyd fan Wish You Were Here was its tribute to Syd Barrett. If I’m allowed five albums for the rest of my life, these two are in that group. Let me think on the other three….,that may be a great offseason thread in itself.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

Grove Sh.tter

Sep 30, 2022
There was an excellent documentary about the making of wish you were here on vh1 years ago. I think you can probably find it on YouTube. They cover everything from actually setting the guy on fire on the album cover to Roy Harper lurking around the studio and then singing on have a cigar.

At one point during production, Syd walked in 50 lb heavier than the last time they'd seen him with all his hair including his eyebrows shaved off, which made it into the wall movie, of course.

If you like Floyd, I highly recommend it.

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Both are at the top of the heap for me. Headphones and Floyd were made for each other. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is on a level all it's own. Dark Side may have sold more but I concur with Bruce. Wish You Were Here to me is the greatest album ever produced.
Now I think I'll stop, chill a bit and mind meld with the cosmic purveyors of rock and roll.

Reactions: DawgsGoneWild

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Both are at the top of the heap for me. Headphones and Floyd were made for each other. Shine On You Crazy Diamond is on a level all it's own. Dark Side may have sold more but I concur with Bruce. Wish You Were Here to me is the greatest album ever produced.
Now I think I'll stop, chill a bit and mind meld with the cosmic purveyors of rock and roll.
The transition from Have a Cigar to Wish You Were Here on headphones is so cool.

Reactions: MaxwellSmart

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I have the album too but it’s not in my top three. Led Zeppelin ZOSO is a better album to me. If I had to pick only three albums to keep it would be Led Zeppelin’s ZOSO, Lynard Skynards One More From The Road, and The Eagles LIVE. I know the last two are live albums but they both spent a lot of time on my turntable. I could substitute Hotel California for The Eagles but I’d have to think about Skynard a little bit.

msstatelp1

Aug 21, 2012
I have the album too but it’s not in my top three. Led Zeppelin ZOSO is a better album to me. If I had to pick only three albums to keep it would be Led Zeppelin’s ZOSO, Lynard Skynards One More From The Road, and The Eagles LIVE. I know the last two are live albums but they both spent a lot of time on my turntable. I could substitute Hotel California for The Eagles but I’d have to think about Skynard a little bit.
Had One More From The Road on cassette and literally wore it out. Great album.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
From a Commercial & Wide Expansive Range of audiences and radio stations with decades of Longevity and Success, the Greatest Album of all time. If stranded on a desert isle, it would be in my first group of only 3.

when this is in the music library you KNOW the kids are smoking**

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Oh, by the way……. Which one’s Pink?

Both DSOTM and WYWH are great albums, hard pressed to pick the best. Even though the album artwork was an inspiration for my avatar, I never cared much for Animals as a complete work. The Wall is interesting, and I think Comfortably Numb is some of Gilmore’s best solo work.

DawgsGoneWild

Sep 25, 2012
If any of you have the chance to see the Black Jacket Symphony perform Dark Side of the Moon, it’s incredible. They are actually playing it in Shreveport in May.

Thumbs Down

Sep 29, 2022

New York Yankees Reaction GIF by MLB

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
This album was released the year I was born. It's not in my top five personal favorites, but it's a damn good album and should be in any rock fan's collection.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

Top 5 soundtrack of all time***

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
It was released 3 weeks before I was born. I saw Pink Floyd in the Superdome in the mid 90s and they played the whole album, which I didn't own at the time. I realized it was a masterpiece. Now I own the album, and cd. They are not my favorite band, I'm more of a blues,jazz guy, but it's just about perfect.
Side note, roger waters is a dick.
Later got infatuated w the Dark Side of Oz, or rainbow, with all the connections if you watch Wizard of Oz , timed w the album. It's probably coincidence, but it's really fun to listen and watch.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login