Happy 93rd Birthday, Gene Hackman

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
What's your favorite Gene Hackman movie? I'll go with Crimson Tide.

Not long ago I saw his last flick Welcome to Mooseport, with Ray Romano. Not terrible.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Little Bill Daggett : First off, Corky never carried two guns. Though he should have.

W.W. Beauchamp : No, no, he was, he was called "Two-Gun Corcoran."

Little Bill Daggett : Yeah well, a lot of folks did call him "Two-Gun" but that wasn't because he was sporting two pistols. That was because he had a dick that was so big it was longer than the barrel of that Walker Colt that he carried. And the only "insultin' to a lady" he ever did was to stick that thing of his into this French lady that Bob here was kind of sweet on.

[Little Bill is telling Beauchamp the real story of English Bob's gunfight]

Little Bill Daggett : You see, the night that Corky walked into the Blue Bottle, and before he knows what's happening, Bob here takes a shot at him! And he misses, 'cause he's so damn drunk. Now that bullet whizzing by panicked old Corky, and he did the wrong thing. He went for his gun in such a hurry that he shot his own damn toe off. Meantime Bob here, he's aiming real good, and he squeezes off another, but he misses, because he's still so damn drunk, and he hits this thousand-dollar mirror up over the bar. And now, the Duck of Death is as good as dead. Because Corky does it right. He aims real careful, no hurry...

W.W. Beauchamp : And...?

Little Bill Daggett : BAM! That Walker Colt blew up in his hand, which was a failing common to that model. You see, if old Corky had had two guns instead of just a big dick, he would have been there right to the end to defend himself.

W.W. Beauchamp : Wait a minute. You mean that, English Bob killed him when he didn't even have...?

Little Bill Daggett : Well, old Bob wasn't goin' to wait for Corky to grow a new hand. No, he just walked over there real slow - 'cause he was drunk - and shot him right through the liver. Pop!

Little Bill Daggett : [correcting W.W Beauchamp] Eyewitnesses?

W.W. Beauchamp : Yes, sir.

Little Bill Daggett : Like the Duck himself, I guess.

W.W. Beauchamp : The Duke.

Little Bill Daggett : Duck, I says.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012

Not long ago I saw his last flick Welcome to Mooseport, with Ray Romano. Not terrible.
I liked Absolute Power with Hackman and Clint Eastwood. Underrated movie.

The Royal Tenenbaums was great.

He was terrific in the John Grisham movie The Chamber.

Fun fact: he was the voice of Lowes commercials for about ten years.

One of our best and most underrated actors.

ETA: How can I forget The Replacements?

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Mississippi Burning, because scenes were filmed at my elementary school at night while we were there. Some kids got to meet the actors.
Oh Brother Where Art Thou’s concert scene was also filmed in the auditorium.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
Hoosiers has already been named but Bat 21 is a great little Vietnam survival flick and it’s based on a true story.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
What was the movie where some filming went on in Cleveland, MS? I heard there was a jerk actor who demanded a fine restaurant close things off for he and his enteourage one night but Hackman did something totally A$$ opposite out of respect for the locals and the the bidness owner. Hackman's a genuine good dude in real life.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Young Frankenstein, The French Connection and Unforgiven are tops. Enemy of the State and Uncommon Valor were a couple I liked but I can't remember him turning in a bad performance. Even the Poseidon Adventure.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021

Hoosiers as coach Norman Dale........Outstanding movie.........BTW, does Jimmy Chitwood have any eligibility remaining? He's the missing piece for Jans.........

Jul 5, 2020

Unforgiven is sublime.

Royal Tenenbaums; he's having a great time playing the role and it shows.

French Connection.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I thought he was good in The Firm. But It's hard to say what is my favorite....he was good in so many films.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
Can't believe noone has mentioned Enemy of the State yet. That was great too. I watch The Replacements almost every time I see it on tv.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012

I can't pick one. He was the most versatile actor in Hollywood along with Tom Hanks. Chrimson Tide, Unforgiven, Hoosiers and The Replacements he was excellent.

Reactions: dorndawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
93?! How the 17 did he jump to 93?

...and then I realized I haven't seen him in anything new in probably 20 years.
Getting old is a trip.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login