Happy Bobby Bonilla Day Everyone!

BonzoGoesToCollege

Aug 24, 2012
There’s only 1 other GM/POBO in MLB idiotic enough to sign a player to such a ludicrous contract and that would be that bow tie wearing douche bag named John Mozeliak. He is a proven, incompetent dumbass. I wish he was my boss. I coulda retired 15 years ago.

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
There’s only 1 other GM/POBO in MLB idiotic enough to sign a player to such a ludicrous contract and that would be that bow tie wearing douche bag named John Mozeliak. He is a proven, incompetent dumbass. I wish he was my boss. I coulda retired 15 years ago.
Sounds like they bought an annuity, that would cover this, and free up funds to move onto other players. (Way Back then).
So, it is a nonevent to them.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
It was a win-win for the mets.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Almost every team in baseball has players with similar contract deferments. Some are much worse than Bonilla's. But we talk about his because it was the first one.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
No. It was a win-win cash-wise. What the did with the cash is another thing entirely….
Here's what they did with the cash:

- they freed up payroll to trade for Mike Hampton.
- they went to the world series in 2000, with Mike Hampton winning the NLCS MVP.
- when Mike Hampton left for Colorado in free agency, they got a compensatory draft pick.
- with that draft pick, they selected David Wright.

It worked out well for the Mets.

Reactions: paindonthurt

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I'm not sure how MLB contracts work, but in NFL they have to escrow the entirety of contracts. So like when a QB gets a $200 million contract, it has to be in an escrow account.

Which is why, if he continues on his trajectory, Joe Burrows is almost certainly leaving Cincinnatti - they simply ain't gonna have the scratch to front the entire thing.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login