Happy Independence Day

Aug 3, 2019

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I always liked this John Kennedy quote on Thomas Jefferson

"This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

Speaking to a group of men who were thought to be some of the finest minds in the world at the time he had assembled at the White House.

Happy 4th !

Last edited:

Dawgtruc

Sep 8, 2018
I just rewatched the John Adams HBO series from '08 on DVD.

Great stuff. 7 episodes. Easy binge.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I like that series, but the historical inaccuracies do drive me nuts especially when they weren't necessary.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I always watch Gettysburg since the final battle was fought on the Fourth of July. I find a little something different every time I've watched it it's still one of the best movies I have ever seen about the Civil War.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Interesting.....I always watch Gettysburg the first of July, too. But the final battle was fought on the 3rd, not 4th. It is a very good movie.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I always watch Gettysburg since the final battle was fought on the Fourth of July. I find a little something different every time I've watched it it's still one of the best movies I have ever seen about the Civil War.

Did you know the Chamberlain's had a third brother at Gettysburg? Also Tom was not the Forest Gump of Gettysburg. Also Colonel Adelbert Ames who Chamberlain replaced as Colonel of the 20th main, his character was in Gods and General, became Governor of Mississippi.

Last edited:

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Have you guys ever been to Gettysburg? To me, the 20th Maine, even though praised, still doesn't get the adulation they deserve. They talk about Maine having the high ground but really the large, powerful states like Michigan, New York and Pennsylvania had the high ground of Little Round Top. Maine was more down in the saddle which was only a slight rise comparatively. There's even a plaque there, I think from New York, stating how 'they' stopped the attack on Little Round Top. Really? New York was positioned on a high, almost vertical rocky cliff with no cover below for the attackers. They were probably in the safest place within 10 miles of Gettysburg.

DawgsOnTheWing

Sep 26, 2012
Yes, about eighteen years ago. I highly recommend it if you have the chance. Back then they offered a cassette tape narration you could play during your driving tour, which was nice.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login