Happy "Ode to Billy Joe" Day to all who celebrate

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I did a deep dive into her history years ago. A true American and Mississippi original. Had her fingers in everything, even owned a piece of the Phoenix Suns.

Married 3 times and not one of them hit two years. The first one to the guy behind Harrah's lasted 4 months. Basically been living completely anonymously I think in Memphis for over 40 years...

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
She also was the original singer who also wrote Fancy that Reba McEntire made into a huge hit.

Reactions: Dawgg

OldVideoGuy

Jun 25, 2021
Anybody ever figure out which bridge she wrote the song about? Was discussing earlier and I know the only one I'm aware of is the one on I-22 right before New Albany and that sure ain't it.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Anybody ever figure out which bridge she wrote the song about? Was discussing earlier and I know the only one I'm aware of is the one on I-22 right before New Albany and that sure ain't it.

Supposedly it was an old wooden bridge near Greenwood (Money is probably right) that collapsed in 1972.

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
Damn-now I’ve got that stupid song of hers playing in my head (it is a stupid song, you must admit it) for the rest of the day. Personally, I don’t give a 17 about Billy Joe McAllister and/or the “Tallahatchie Bridge”. I didn’t give a 17 about it in the 1960’s and I give a lot less of a 17 in 2024. All that said-I definitely would have hit it back in those days. I would have hit it hard, too lol

• Angry
Reactions: AROB44

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Damn-now I’ve got that stupid song of hers playing in my head (it is a stupid song, you must admit it) for the rest of the day. Personally, I don’t give a 17 about Billy Joe McAllister and/or the “Tallahatchie Bridge”. I didn’t give a 17 about it in the 1960’s and I give a lot less of a 17 in 2024. All that said-I definitely would have hit it back in those days. I would have hit it hard, too lol
Beer Ok GIF by Busch

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Agree with all this, except the stupid song part. It was played to death back in the day, but I still remember the first time I heard it as a kid on the way to school in the 70's.

It's a great song.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
The bridge filmed for the movie was actually on the Yazoo - south of Greenwood a few miles. Talk about old rickety/scary MS bridges to cross back in the late 70's? That 17'er was #1 for me.

Robbie Benson was Billy Joe in that movie. That dude was everywhere for a few years there. Haven't thought about him in a long long time.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Along the same lines of local singers, have any of you heard that young lady from Starkville that was on American Idol? I anticipate great things from her on the singer/songwriter circuit.

L4MANDW

Feb 21, 2018
Humble beginnings in Chickasaw Co, Woodland, MS.

Actually happened across this pod listening to another this morning. Tremendous songwriter, interesting life story.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login