Harder for Auburn to win in 2023 than it was for Ole Miss to win in 2014

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
The narrative that it will be easier for Freeze to win at Auburn with more resources and better players really isn't true and 2023 and beyond. Here's why:

1) NIL parity and non-parity with SEC schools. It's no longer "creative recruiting tatics". It's money with NIL deals. Georgia, Bama, Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee are putting big deals out for players. NIL allows for just about any SEC school sign several good 1st string players. Georgia and Bama seem to have the most comprehensive "players benefits packages", but A&M and LSU are putting in millions. And Tennessee is anteing up for key players as well. I see Auburn more on the tier where Tennessee is at now, vs where Georgia and Bama are at. So, best case is you find a way one year to beat Bama, Georgia is waiting to dismiss you quietly. And I would not be suprised to the Texas add some 8 figure rosters soon. The point is that Auburn will have to go "all in" in a way they have not ever had to before. The jump from 7 figures to 8 figures is a big one. You can't get a Cam Newton any more for $180K.

2) With 8 figure rosters comes immediate expectations. You get 1 year, maybe 2 before the dissent starts to snowball. Especially if "mid tier" SEC teams beat you, which will happen for Auburn over the next 2 seasons. As well as Saban whooping your @SS 2-3 years in a row.

3) Money over motivational speeches. How close are we, or we already there, where key players have performance deals to get paid for key wins. Same point, money is how it would happen, no the old ball coach stirring up the hearts of the fellas. Like what they used to get to sign they give for a key win. That's motivation. Buy momma a house type motivation. Yes I love Jesus too but show me the money.

4) Gloves off negative recruiting and social media. It's not going to be pretty and it will be constant. Already happening and it will amplify all the issues that arise from losing games.

Reactions: QuadrupleOption

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
The narrative that it will be easier for Freeze to win at Auburn with more resources and better players really isn't true and 2023 and beyond. Here's why:

1) NIL parity and non-parity with SEC schools. It's no longer "creative recruiting tatics". It's money with NIL deals. Georgia, Bama, Texas A&M, LSU, Tennessee are putting big deals out for players. NIL allows for just about any SEC school sign several good 1st string players. Georgia and Bama seem to have the most comprehensive "players benefits packages", but A&M and LSU are putting in millions. And Tennessee is anteing up for key players as well. I see Auburn more on the tier where Tennessee is at now, vs where Georgia and Bama are at. So, best case is you find a way one year to beat Bama, Georgia is waiting to dismiss you quietly. And I would not be suprised to the Texas add some 8 figure rosters soon. The point is that Auburn will have to go "all in" in a way they have not ever had to before. The jump from 7 figures to 8 figures is a big one. You can't get a Cam Newton any more for $180K.

2) With 8 figure rosters comes immediate expectations. You get 1 year, maybe 2 before the dissent starts to snowball. Especially if "mid tier" SEC teams beat you, which will happen for Auburn over the next 2 seasons. As well as Saban whooping your @SS 2-3 years in a row.

3) Money over motivational speeches. How close are we, or we already there, where key players have performance deals to get paid for key wins. Same point, money is how it would happen, no the old ball coach stirring up the hearts of the fellas. Like what they used to get to sign they give for a key win. That's motivation. Buy momma a house type motivation. Yes I love Jesus too but show me the money.

4) Gloves off negative recruiting and social media. It's not going to be pretty and it will be constant. Already happening and it will amplify all the issues that arise from losing games.
To be clear, Freeze had some of his own really nice recruiting classes on the 2014 team. He will have zero on the 2023 team. He is going to crush it at Auburn.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
To be clear, Freeze had some of his own really nice recruiting classes on the 2014 team. He will have zero on the 2023 team. He is going to crush it at Auburn.
I'll believe it when I see deeper pockets at Auburn than other SEC schools. Highly doubt it

patdog

May 28, 2007
I'll believe it when I see deeper pockets at Auburn than other SEC schools. Highly doubt it
Agree the gap between Auburn and Georgia, LSU, Bama, A&M and Florida is just getting bigger.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I'll believe it when I see deeper pockets at Auburn than other SEC schools. Highly doubt
Auburn has been all in for a long time. If money is all that may hold them back then that won’t be an issue.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Nutts 2011 class was the foundation of Freezes teams, HUGE Miss by Danny after our 2010 season

but no doubt the 2013 class added

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Auburn has been all in for a long time. If money is all that may hold them back then that won’t be an issue.
5 years ago yes. Today? 22 players? 44 players? No way

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I also think the Cadillac dynamic has the potential to get really awkward sooner than later.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
5 years ago yes. Today? 22 players? 44 players? No way
They will not have an issue getting players. They have always been fine when money was how you got players. Why is this different? Plenty of good players to go around for those type programs. And Cadillac was the first hire.

patdog

May 28, 2007
They have 9 4 stars despite having a coach everyone knew would get fired for a long time.
Their recruiting class is ranked 10th in the SEC. Bama has 5 5* and 15 4* and UGA has 1 5* and 18 4*.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Their recruiting class is ranked 10th in the SEC. Bama has 5 5* and 15 4* and UGA has 1 5* and 18 4*.
Yeah. It’s terrible by their standards. Harsin didn’t understand recruiting and has been a lame duck for a while. And they still have 9 4stars. Thats my point.

QuadrupleOption

Aug 21, 2012
There is no NIL Parity. The stronger got stronger and the weaker got weaker.
True, but EVERYONE is in the game now. Rather than having some boosters paying players under the table, they can all throw money into the same NIL and coaches can identify players they really want. If nothing else, we can force up the price and make those big boy teams overpay for players.

Reactions: patdog

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
We hate it but Freeze is going to do well in Auburn. There’s a good chance he will beat State at home next year if they can get a QB. It will be easier for them to rebuild a team. His program building is questionable, the Ole Miss program fell apart very quickly.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
There is no NIL Parity. The stronger got stronger and the weaker got weaker.
This isn’t true
Texas A&M never recruited as this level and were never really “strong”

schools like atm are making schools like Bama have less talent. This means schools like Msu have an actual chance against schools like Bama.

Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login