Has Calipari coached his last game at Kentucky?

Coach Cal’s status:

• He gone.

• officially on the hot seat in 2024-25

Results are only viewable after voting.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
If the fans have any say he’s gone. But the ones writing the check…. Who knows?

Reactions: Mr. Cook

OldVideoGuy

Jun 25, 2021
In this era of transfers/NIL, Cal is antiquated with his team building philosophy. You have to stock the roster with transfers as well as several top 100 prospects at a place like Kentucky. Coach K changed his philosophy toward the end and Cal better do the same.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I see some similarities in Cal/Kentucky and Saban/Alabama . The NIL kinda 17ed up both of their playhouses. Both are much better coaches when they have tremendous advantages talent wise (duh) and the NIL made it harder to hoard talent like they did in the past.

Reactions: Pilgrimdawg

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
Less than half a Jimbo. They can afford it.
I don’t care if they can afford it or not, that’s a lot of money being moved along with trying to get a name in there to replace him. I wonder how much will be deferred ?

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I has resulted in some strong memes and twittering

I think they’ll part ways. Once you get to that point, it’s hard to come back from ledge.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I see some similarities in Cal/Kentucky and Saban/Alabama . The NIL kinda 17ed up both of their playhouses. Both are much better coaches when they have tremendous advantages talent wise (duh) and the NIL made it harder to hoard talent like they did in the past.
Whoever that is with their arms around Kate is hoarding talent too.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I know UK fans aren't happy, but he's finished 3rd, 3rd, and tied for 2nd in the SEC that past three years. The tournament record is awful, but there is some luck involved in that.

He's certainly not worth what he is paying them, but they are very unlikely to do better by firing him, and certainly not be enough that it can justify shelling out $30M+ for him to not coach.

For comparison, Bruce Pearl finished 7th in the league last year. He's the second highest paid coach in the SEC. Rick Barnes finished 5th. Granted they did finish 1st and 2nd the year before, but it's not like there are all these coaches clearly passing Calipari by.

He's certainly not going to be as good in the NIL era, but he's still put together three good regular seasons in a row. As bad as it must suck to choke the way they have the past three years, I'd still go another year before I assume choking is who his teams are versus just a combination of NIL catching upt o him and some bad luck.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I know UK fans aren't happy, but he's finished 3rd, 3rd, and tied for 2nd in the SEC that past three years. The tournament record is awful, but there is some luck involved in that.

He's certainly not worth what he is paying them, but they are very unlikely to do better by firing him, and certainly not be enough that it can justify shelling out $30M+ for him to not coach.

For comparison, Bruce Pearl finished 7th in the league last year. He's the second highest paid coach in the SEC. Rick Barnes finished 5th. Granted they did finish 1st and 2nd the year before, but it's not like there are all these coaches clearly passing Calipari by.

He's certainly not going to be as good in the NIL era, but he's still put together three good regular seasons in a row. As bad as it must suck to choke the way they have the past three years, I'd still go another year before I assume choking is who his teams are versus just a combination of NIL catching upt o him and some bad luck.
So, no SEC titles to go with only 1 NCAA win in 3 years. That's not good enough at Kentucky. But it'll have to be because of the contract.

Reactions: johnson86-1

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
KY dropping officially $23M/year on basketball alone for that trash... much more than that unofficially.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Agree. But seems it would be easier to adapt in basketball. And Cal is no stranger to sleazy crootin. I mean he rebuilds the roster every year. So unless he just doesn’t want to change, I could see him turning it around.

I mean what is UNC and Kansas doing that Kentucky can’t?

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Who is they?
Starting with the folks that help fund the $8+ a year he's paid would be a good starting list. You suggesting they are house poor? I suppose that could be true but I doubt UK couldn't raise that kind of cash if it's related to basketball.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
Just another coach that NIL has caught up to them. We all know Cal and Ky were buying players just as Bama had been doing in football for a long time. Now that buying players is legal and everybody is in on it it’s biting into their dynasties. I cry no tears for them.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Starting with the folks that help fund the $8+ a year he's paid would be a good starting list. You suggesting they are house poor? I suppose that could be true but I doubt UK couldn't raise that kind of cash if it's related to basketball.
Calipari has alienated himself from most - if not all - of Kentucky‘s heavy hitters.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Can't imagine Cal would take the money and run. Out of character for him. He's never done that, ever

olblue

Mar 11, 2018
Can't imagine Cal would take the money and run. Out of character for him. He's never done that, ever
I doubt he’s interested in a discount. And it’s going to be hard to find enough people willing to give ~$34MM to someone they don’t like.

Reactions: onewoof
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login