Has Jim Ellis retired yet?

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
I’ll be driving during tonight’s game and was hoping to listen to a concise commentary rather than a Joe Biden esque portrayal.
If he hasn’t, is it possible to listen to a Charlie/bart broadcast without streaming video?

Reactions: Predestined

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Jim has been on the regular baseball call. I've heard him, 2 of the 3 games., Radio.

Last edited:

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
He’s still going and it’s a midweek so that probably means you get Polk as well tonight.

Not sure how much longer Jim wants to keep doing it, I know he’s always been a big runner and is typically someone who’s in good shape and health. I kinda thought he may call it a career after 2021, would’ve been a poetic ending, I hate that he’s had a couple of bad teams to call for in some of his last few years. Can’t imagine he stays at it a ton longer though.

Not sure on the succession plan either, I’m sure it will be either Neil or Bart but not sure which.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
Not sure on the succession plan either, I’m sure it will be either Neil or Bart but not sure which.

I like Jay Powell's Color commentary when he joins. I have no clue on his professional or family situation (other than him casually mention coaching during a game) or if he wants to get into broadcasting at all. I just enjoy his insights.

Reactions: Predestined

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I like Jay Powell's Color commentary when he joins. I have no clue on his professional or family situation (other than him casually mention coaching during a game) or if he wants to get into broadcasting at all. I just enjoy his insights.

I’m sure Jay would stay on as color commentator but I can’t seem him becoming the main play by play guy.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
I’m sure Jay would stay on as color commentator but I can’t seem him becoming the main play by play guy.

Not what I was implying. I doubt he'd want to do that anyway. I was just mentioning it as far as continuing to welcome him on.

Thebulldogcountry1

Nov 6, 2022
I grew up listening to Jim, and I always thought it would be hard to replace him. When Bart started joining him years ago, I was impressed and assumed he would take over at some point.

Now that Bart does TV, I'm not so sure going back to radio would be very appealing. At this point, you have to wonder about the future of radio broadcasts. I'd be curious to know how many listeners the average baseball radio broadcast has.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
For some reason I can't help but imagine that I'm listening to Jeff Foxworthy when I hear Jay Powell call a game. And I hope now that you have read this it happens to you too and you hear it the same as I do and can suffer along w/ me

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I wish they’d let Neil Price join him on broadcasts here and there. I’ve heard Neil say baseball is his favorite to broadcast

I’ve always assumed it’s Neil’s job to turn down once Jim retires, but doing all three sports is a tough schedule, not sure if Neil wants to do that or not. But yes, Neil is very good at baseball.

Another possibility if Bart were to take Jim’s place would be maybe Neil starts taking some of the SECN+ duties. You see it with other schools sometimes, like Eli Gold doesn’t do Bama baseball radio but he will call some of their home games for TV.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
To each his or her own I guess, but it strikes me that the type of weenie who doesn't like Jim Ellis calling a Mississippi State baseball game is probably the same type of dude who believes Texas Roadhouse is the best restaurant on earth.

TNDawg1

Oct 21, 2023
I love Jim and have so many memories of being different places hearing him call baseball games. There are times where I don’t know what in the hell just happened though.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I listened to about half the Friday game with Jim and Polk. As knowledgeable as Ron is, I really don't like when he does color.

Jim is showing the typical signs of a broadcaster near the end but still calls a good game IMO. He missed a pitch here or there and was way late anytime he had to announce a new name but all in all not bad for game 1 of the season.

I'll always love listening to him though because it brings back so many great memories from the past.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
To each his or her own I guess, but it strikes me that the type of weenie who doesn't like Jim Ellis calling a Mississippi State baseball game is probably the same type of dude who believes Texas Roadhouse is the best restaurant on earth.
TR is the best restaurant on Earth. If they would close those crappy Logan's, we would get more of them

Reactions: PK Dawg

Puppychow

Nov 5, 2014
Had the pleasure of playing a round of golf with Jim. A true gentleman.

In golf, guys tend to discuss their situation if it’s something interesting. For example, “Got a big tree limb up top. May have to go around. What do you think?

With Jim it’s “Well, I have this three footer for par. Noticing a slight left right and could gain speed at the end. Grain taking it the opposite direction. Did I tell about the time John Daley faced a similar situation? He’s way better than I so I’ll take that approach. But, we still have the wind to account for. Which way is the lake?”

It’s just in his blood to discuss details of everything he sees and does. I was quite entertaining once I caught on to what he was doing. I doubt he even realizes he’s doing it.

Gonna miss Jim when he’s gone.

PK Dawg

Jul 17, 2022
I will admit (half an inning in) that Jim is a little sharper than he has been in the past. Hope he can maintain this lucidity until somebody more superior from a more recent generation takes over.

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
I will admit (half an inning in) that Jim is a little sharper than he has been in the past. Hope he can maintain this lucidity until somebody more superior from a more recent generation takes over.
Jim IS THE VOICE of Mississippi State Baseball as was Jack Cristil for football.
When he’s gone, it will be another sad day and a reminder that our youth is a distant memory but a memory nonetheless. And for most, many fond memories we will forever cherish and hopefully pass along to the younger generation that may not have had a chance to experience.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login