Have to finish the season 4-1 now to secure a bid

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
I think the only loss we could afford would be at Missouri. At OM and home against SC are games against bad teams we have to win just to hold position. Home against A&M will be tough but we’re going to have to win a tough home game. At Vandy to close the regular season will be huge. Vandy is much improved and a win in Nashville is never easy. Tonight was a very tough loss but there is still a path to the tournament if we keep winning.

Aug 22, 2012
Agreed. We will be favored in the games against Ole Miss, SC, and Vandy (I think). Have to get 1 of the 2 against AM and Mizzou. Win 4 of 5 and a game in the SEC tourney and I think that should do it.

Those wins against Marquette and TCU are going to pay BIG dividends if we can take care of business down the stretch, Not baseball season yet.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
If we don’t make the tourney it will be because we just dug ourselves too big a hole with the 1-7 start. I still feel like we are playing well even after the loss tonight, but that’s not an easy stretch to close the year at all. All of those games are toss ups at worst, but winning 4 of 5 with three of those games being on the road may be a tall order.

Reactions: drumrcraig

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
If we don’t make the tourney it will be because we just dug ourselves too big a hole with the 1-7 start. I still feel like we are playing well even after the loss tonight, but that’s not an easy stretch to close the year at all. All of those games are toss ups at worst, but winning 4 of 5 with three of those games being on the road may be a tall order.
This is spot on. If we go 4-1 I will be surprised Texas A&M is battling for the conference title. Missouri is really tough at their place and Vandy is a mirror image of our team. They dug a big hole but now they are winning games. Their center is awesome.

I'm hoping for a 3-2 finish. I hope that our last game being at Sandy will make us more comfortable in the tournament But that is still a ways away.

Reactions: knock him out john

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Proud of the guys for fighting back after falling behind 13 in the 2nd half.

Would have liked to see what would have happened if they had called traveling at the end. Loved seeing Jans get after the refs.

That being said, we were beaten on the boards. 18-7 UK on offensive rebounds. Even after the traveling no call, we forced a missed shot and failed to get the rebound.

Glad we beat Arkansas. This doesn’t kill us. No one said we had to go 2-0 vs Arkansas and Kentucky to have a shot. We have less margin for error now. We have to beat Ole Miss.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
We’re headed towards a tough matchup in Nashville. I’m really hoping we can avoid playing in the opening round, and grab a higher quality W in the second round. Maybe a FL or Ark.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I keep seeing all these comments about how badly we were beaten on the boards. It was definitely a big deal, but was it a shock?

The guy in the middle for UK was the consensus National POY last year and averaged 15 boards a game.

15!!!

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
We’ve all seen this before. The only way we secure a bid is to win the conference tourney. How many times has the selection committee left us sitting on the wall when they decided to dance with others?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
We’ve all seen this before. The only way we secure a bid is to win the conference tourney. How many times has the selection committee left us sitting on the wall when they decided to dance with others?
Maybe 4-1 and a couple tournament wins would take care of that?

The Georgia and Florida losses are our undoing.

Those games are a big reason why I’ve said I wouldn’t consider us until we were one game below .500 in conference play.

Up until the Arkansas game, I considered State a good bad team (not that we’re horrible but there are loads of room for improvement) that took advantage of lack of good scouting against us in the early non-conference schedule.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
what about 3-2 then 2 or more in the SEC Tourney?

That’s a no margin for error & no cinderellas in other conference tournaments scenario.

5-0 and finishing the regular season at 10-8 in conference play takes away many of the Cinderella scenarios.

But they wouldn’t need to do that if they hadn’t lost to Georgia & Florida.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
That’s a no margin for error & no cinderellas in other conference tournaments scenario.

5-0 and finishing the regular season at 10-8 in conference play takes away many of the Cinderella scenarios.

But they wouldn’t need to do that if they hadn’t lost to Georgia & Florida.
I would think 5-0 takes ALL Cinderella Scenarios out of play even if we go 1 and done in the SEC Tourney. All teams have at least 2 WTF losses on their schedules it seems. We just gotta deal with them hopefully by handling what's left.

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
I think the only loss we could afford would be at Missouri. At OM and home against SC are games against bad teams we have to win just to hold position. Home against A&M will be tough but we’re going to have to win a tough home game. At Vandy to close the regular season will be huge. Vandy is much improved and a win in Nashville is never easy. Tonight was a very tough loss but there is still a path to the tournament if we keep winning.

I'll say this, if we play like we did last night, we have a good chance in all our remaining games.

UK played better last night than they have in many games this season.

4-1 is not likely, but it's very doable.

And it's the best way to ensure a bid.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'll say this, if we play like we did last night, we have a good chance in all our remaining games.

UK played better last night than they have in many games this season.

4-1 is not likely, but it's very doable.

And it's the best way to ensure a bid.
This. I'm just basing my predictions and thoughts on gut feeling for now because I don't take the time to study the technical analytics like many here do and their info is awesome that keeps people like me reading this board. I really appreciate shortcuts allowing me to not do things I don't wanna do. And I understand you've alway got to watch out for those teams who sucked all year in their not too important conferences get hot in their tourney. But my gut is telling me if we go 3-2 then win 2 or more in our tourney we're in.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Something to watch as it pertains to the SEC Tourney, as of today we would be the 11 seed and have to play on Wednesday. We’re a full game behind Arkansas and Georgia and don’t control our destiny even if we win out.

That said, 6 thru 11 in the league are currently separated by two games. We’ll likely settle in somewhere in that range, the hope is that it’s toward the upper end.

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I get that we played hard, relentless basketball last night. The effort was valiant.... but we are NOT a tournament team. Not even a one-and-done tournament team.
Realistically to go cold for as long as we did last night with our offense (which we've done throughout this entire season) and to get destroyed on the glass by THAT Kentucky team, is not indicative of a team that gets an invite to the big dance.
Would be great to go 4-1 and MAYBE get in. Just don't see it happening. It's a pi$$er.
Nevertheless we have had a strong season for a first year coach and a team with no consistency on offense and no real offensive talent.
I will be happy if we make the Dance and disappointed with the NIT but as of today ---
I'm already resigned.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
I can't handle this stress. I'm just moving on to baseball and if we get into the NCAAT then great

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I get that we played hard, relentless basketball last night. The effort was valiant.... but we are NOT a tournament team. Not even a one-and-done tournament team.
Realistically to go cold for as long as we did last night with our offense (which we've done throughout this entire season) and to get destroyed on the glass by THAT Kentucky team, is not indicative of a team that gets an invite to the big dance.
Would be great to go 4-1 and MAYBE get in. Just don't see it happening. It's a pi$$er.
Nevertheless we have had a strong season for a first year coach and a team with no consistency on offense and no real offensive talent.
I will be happy if we make the Dance and disappointed with the NIT but as of today ---
I'm already resigned.
Negative Waves.jpg

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm already resigned.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm already resigned.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I'm already resigned.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I'm already resigned.
Did you miss the five previous games where we looked like every bit of a tournament team?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
At least we have a shot. Four to five weeks ago our chances looked meh.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
"All I see is 3 wins"****

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login