Have we ever had a 50% takeover of our own stadium?

ExtremeDog

Apr 8, 2003
Last night was the first time I can ever remember such a thing happening. And before people blame the faculty, those seats that were purchased were unsold season tickets that anyone can buy for any game. And those seats that you can purchase for single games are on both sides of the stadium.

our new AD has work to do. Season ticket sales must improve.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Last night was the first time I can ever remember such a thing happening. And before people blame the faculty, those seats that were purchased were unsold season tickets that anyone can buy for any game. And those seats that you can purchase for single games are on both sides of the stadium.

Its similar to what you see in the NFL. Fans like to take road trips and with tickets so readily accessible on secondary markets, its obviously much easier to plan a trip. Georgia football is hot right now and with the ridiculous way the SEC schedules football games (and their unwillingness to change it), its been 12 years since UGA played in Starkville. Easy to circle that one when planning for 2022 road trips.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Georgia is probably the best traveling NCAA Football Program right now. If you remember when they played Notre Dame a couple of years ago they took over that stadium. This was actually probably a great weekend for Starkville Restaurants and Businesses because I guarantee you they spent more money in Starkville than MSU fans would have.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The vast majority of UGA fans can’t get tickets to a home game. Traveling is their best bet.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004

There was not a 50% takeover of our own stadium. Liberally maybe 25% but that's probably high. There were a lot of them, more than usual, sure, but there was a lot of maroon on the east side, the red just stood out more.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
it was not 50%. Where you get that?
My empirical data backs that up. I'm on the west side lower level, and the east side was damn close to all red and black. There were enough red shirts sprinkled among us on our side to bring the Georgia numbers up a bit as well. The upper deck of the east side was probably 60% full, maybe. Of that, I'd guess 95% were Georgia folks.

I've been coming to State games since the times when the lower deck on the east side was the only deck on the east side, and I've never seen that many opposing fans in our stadium, not ever, not even close.

Thank you to whatever season ticket holder sold theirs in Sec. 2 to this buffoon and his mates, BTW.

IMG_7741.jpeg

Jan 31, 2012

I was shocked by how empty bell island was and the area around Bost. A normally robust tailgating area was dead. Part can be blamed on the weather but it was definitely who we were playing. So those folks who skipped the game sold their tickets on Stub Hub and Jawja fans snatched them up.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008

Uga fans travel. They wanted to go to starkvegas. Many have not had the opportunity because of the schedule. Uga fans will also pay through the nose for tickets. That is one fanbase that could have done what they done.

Johnnie Come Lately

Nov 4, 2022

It was pretty damn close when Ole Miss played in Starkville in 2003. We have such a friendly disposition with the Rebels that our fans were happy to let them have their tickets.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
1986 and 1988 v Bama. I remember State had temporary bleachers in the south endzone. Where the rail cars are sitting now. Our team ran out between bleachers full of crimson and white pompoms.

I recall one game in the mid or early 90s LSU filled their lower section and 3/4 of the west upper deck.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My empirical data backs that up. I'm on the west side lower level, and the east side was damn close to all red and black. There were enough red shirts sprinkled among us on our side to bring the Georgia numbers up a bit as well. The upper deck of the east side was probably 60% full, maybe. Of that, I'd guess 95% were Georgia folks.

I've been coming to State games since the times when the lower deck on the east side was the only deck on the east side, and I've never seen that many opposing fans in our stadium, not ever, not even close.

Thank you to whatever season ticket holder sold theirs in Sec. 2 to this buffoon and his mates, BTW.

View attachment 260983
I was 2nd row west side upper deck on about the 42 yard line, and I could see everything. They did not have 50% take over. Yes a lot of GA fans but no more than Alabama fans when they come. Plus, it's been 12 years, so they took opportunity.

I also want to take opportunity to thank all those GA fans for supporting our institution and the city of Starkville.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigmo1011
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login