Have you ever noticed the ball is always placed on the Hash Mark.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Regardless where the play stops, where a penalty puts it. It is always on the hash mark. I have been trying to see if they are moving it forwards or backwards to get it to the as mark.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Regardless where the play stops, where a penalty puts it. It is always on the hash mark. I have been trying to see if they are moving it forwards or backwards to get it to the as mark.

Yes, I've noticed this too.

Not sure why refs do this. Maybe it's easier to mark off penalties when the ball is on the hash?

Also, it permits refs to more easily declare that a first down has been made. For example, if, after a play, the ball is marked on the hash that is exactly 10 yards from where it was on first down, then there's no need to measure for the first down.

I think the refs start marking the ball more precisely (e.g., between hashes) when the offense is near the goal line (inside the 10-yard line).

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
One of the NFL referee analysts talked about that a few weeks ago. When they mark the ball for a first down they put it on the nearest hash mark. That makes it easier to determine first downs or illegal forward pass penalties since it’s right on a hash mark.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login