HB169

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
Makes it aggravated assault to hit an umpire. Use to be a charge of simple assault.

Has this been an issue that required a bill? I haven't heard of any instances in state.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Also getting less and less in numbers. I know MHSAA had to move games from Friday to Thursday due to lack of officials so a crew could work Thursday and Friday.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Makes it aggravated assault to hit an umpire. Use to be a charge of simple assault.

Has this been an issue that required a bill? I haven't heard of any instances in state.

If the penalty would otherwise be simple assault, I'm not sure making umpires a protected class is going to pass muster. That said, I don't know how they have as many as the do at the high school and lower level - if a person wants to be that much of a masochist there's far easier ways.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Obviously means everything else is in good shape and just tending to a little minor tying up of some loose ends. Great isn't it ? ****

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Refs and Umps make a lot more money doing the Travel Baseball and Basketball Tournaments than working High School Games. An Ump can make an easy $400-600 cash a weekend working a USSSA Tournament.

Last edited:

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Imagine being so ****** at your job that you require special legislation to deter people from beating the hell out of you.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Imagine thinking it's OK to beat the hell out of people who don't perform like you think they should.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
If the penalty would otherwise be simple assault, I'm not sure making umpires a protected class is going to pass muster. That said, I don't know how they have as many as the do at the high school and lower level - if a person wants to be that much of a masochist there's far easier ways.

You pretty much just have to rely on people wanting to do it because you're not going to pay them enough to make it worthwhile. Our local soccer league is struggling. Younger ages have refs that are young and inexperienced reffing games by themselves rather than with two linemen. Ideally the young ones would be acting as lineman for a head ref that is at least in high school and ideally an adult. Really need to start asking parents to ref, but they are already have enough trouble getting enough parents to coach because most of the parents that would be good candidates for coaching are sucked up into travel ball of one form or another and don't want to coach rec.

BoomBoom.sixpack

Aug 22, 2012

That bill needs work. The text of the bill (adds umpire to list of people that qualify for aggravated sentencing, ie extra penalty upon conviction) does not match the summary of the bill (change offense for such from simple assault to aggravated assault). So by the text simple assault on an umpire would still be simple assault, just with a higher fine, ditto for aggravated assault.

Also, I would think you'd need to say umpire, referee, or other staff etc.

Aug 23, 2012
Yeah

But working 10-12 games a weekend on a hot July 04 weekend ain't all peaches and cream.

Refs and Umps make a lot more money doing the Travel Baseball and Basketball Tournaments than working High School Games. An Ump can make an easy $400-600 cash a weekend working a USSSA Tournament.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login