HC Candidates – Risk vs Reward

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
There has been much discussion about various potential HC candidates to replace Arnett. But what I’m really interested in is this board’s general ideas regarding what type of coach we should hire. I’m not talking about specifics like scheme, recruiting prowess or anything like that. Rather, would you prefer a candidate with a low floor but high ceiling or high floor but lower ceiling. Normally, I would always prefer the higher risk of a high ceiling coach. But given the current state of our program, I could see the argument for perhaps a “boring” hire that will at least stabilize us. I have separated potential candidates into these two groups.

Which of the two groups would you prefer to make the hire from if you had to choose between them?

Low Floor/High Ceiling - Limited or no head coaching experience, but have had success either as a coordinator or in short stint as HC. Examples:

Jeffy Lebby – OC Oklahoma
G.J. Kinne – HC Texas State
Kendal Briles – OC TCU
Jon Sumrall – HC Troy

High Floor/Lower Ceiling - Successful HC experience, but have their own limitations and could be considered boring hires. Examples:

Gus Malzahn – HC UCF
Dave Clawson – HC Wake Forest
Tom Herman – HC FAU
Dan Mullen

Again, these are just examples and not a fully inclusive list of all potential hires. There are a few candidates that don’t quite fit into either box such as Chadwell, Leipold, Elko, Stoops, etc. These would each be fantastic hires in my opinion, but might not be within our reach. Putting them to the side for the purpose of this exercise.

Last edited:

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Give me Lebby, Briles or Herman. Barring that, Mullen. The rest don't inspire.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
You are missing the most important candidate, thus your list is invalid

patdog

May 28, 2007
Right now we need a high floor coach, preferably one with a high ceiling too. If we miss on a potential low floor coach, we going to be staring at another 2001-2008 or 1980s stretch of misery.

HailStout

Jan 4, 2020
We really cannot roll the dice on a coordinator
Right now we need a high floor coach, preferably one with a high ceiling too. If we miss on a potential low floor coach, we going to be staring at another 2001-2008 or 1980s stretch of misery.
we need someone with head coach experience.

Last edited:

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
Why no Clay Helton on the second list?
As I mentioned it is not an all inclusive list. We could sit here all day and throw out other names. I just included some examples. The question is about what type of candidate should we hire between the two group options.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
As I mentioned it is not an all inclusive list. We could sit here all day and throw out other names. I just included some examples. The question is about what type of candidate should we hire between the two group options.
No, I think your list is very good and inclusive. Chadwell and Leipold aren't coming without breaking the bank. The only two I'd add to your list are Willie Fritz and Helton. I don't think we will hire a coordinator without HC experience.

Reactions: StateCollege

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
No, I think your list is very good and inclusive. Chadwell and Leipold aren't coming without breaking the bank. The only two I'd add to your list are Willie Fritz and Helton. I don't think we will hire a coordinator without HC experience.
For sure. Those two are certainly fit that mold. Fritz's age worries me, turns 64 in April. Not sure if he would be under consideration due to that.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For sure. Those two are certainly fit that mold. Fritz's age worries me, turns 64 in April. Not sure if he would be under consideration due to that.
Also checkout Fritz's record from 2016-2012, that worries me. Toolame wasn't playing SEC West competition during that time, they played pretty equivalent competition. I'm concerned his success last year and this year is due to a generational QB.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Let's go get Kliff Kingsbury, he hits both categories. Been a head coach at P5 (and the pros) is still a young guy (44), brings an updated Air Raid which, when it was working well, was a lot of fun. And he's stuck at USC twiddling his thumbs right now.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Let's go get Kliff Kingsbury, he hits both categories. Been a head coach at P5 (and the pros) is still a young guy (44), brings an updated Air Raid which, when it was working well, was a lot of fun. And he's stuck at USC twiddling his thumbs right now.
From what I've read, he hates recruiting. Don't know if this year's role at USC has changed his mind on that.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
He was 35-40 in 6 seasons at Texas Tech. I know that was largely because of terrible defense, but still. He feels like a less successful Mike Leach.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login