Heat and HS Football

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I thought i read that start times had been pushed back to 8pm? I've heard (2nd reports) the Eupora game started at 7.

Eupora's QB went down during the game, reportedly from the heat.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Listening to some reports on the radio this week, and it seems as if times can be pushed back so as long as both schools playing agree to it...its not a blanket mandate across the state.

Reactions: greenbean.sixpack

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Listening to some reports on the radio this week, and it seems as if times can be pushed back so as long as both schools playing agree to it...its not a blanket mandate across the state.
Talked to a coach from Canton last night and their game against Velma Jackson is at 7 tonight. Feels like it should have been a mandate rather than counting on coaches to agree. I can 100% see a prideful coach not wanting to look "weak", or thinking his team is in better shape and has an advantage, and thus not agree to push to 8PM. Don't know that it has happened, but my experience in football indicates that it is possible unless coaches have changed dramatically over the years...

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I graduated in 85, so my memory may be faulty, but I think we didn't return to school to near labor day and we didn't play our first game until after than (so it may have been as late as the second week of Sept before our first game).

Last edited:
Reactions: peewee.sixpack

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Talked to a coach from Canton last night and their game against Velma Jackson is at 7 tonight. Feels like it should have been a mandate rather than counting on coaches to agree. I can 100% see a prideful coach not wanting to look "weak", or thinking his team is in better shape and has an advantage, and thus not agree to push to 8PM. Don't know that it has happened, but my experience in football indicates that it is possible unless coaches have changed dramatically over the years...
You're spot on.

The kids are warming up at 6, so they are already good and hot before the game starts. It's hard to keep up with losing that much sweat. no matter how much one hydrates.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I graduated in 85, so my memory may be faulty, but I think we didn't return to school to near labor day and we didn't play our first game until after than (so it may have been as late as the second week of Sept before our first game.
Back then a lot of the schools didn't have air conditioning (mine included), which is why they started later. But football always started around labor day as I recall.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Back then a lot of the schools didn't have air conditioning (mine included), which is why they started later. But football always started around labor day as I recall.
We always started school the week before Labor Day. Seems like first game was the Friday after Labor Day.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Hell it was 106 heat index at my house at 10 last night. Did some stuff outside at 9 it was still pretty humid

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Game times are moved back to 7 this year from 730. But the MHSAA put out some really strict heat conditions for practice now using a wet bulb. Basically, you can bet that if it’s 96+ and little breeze, you ain’t practicing. There’s zones with the bulb for full practice, 2 hour max in shell, 1 hour with no equipment, and no practice at all. A lot of teams have been practicing after 6pm because of this or before school.
Not surprisingly, these rules don’t apply to games though. Gotta make that money

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I graduated in 84 and played football. I don't remember heat being an element factored into any decision. They just made you drink more salted Gator Aid. Remember those salt tablets? That crap didn't work.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
I graduated in 85, so my memory may be faulty, but I think we didn't return to school to near labor day and we didn't play our first game until after than (so it may have been as late as the second week of Sept before our first game).
You recall correctly. First day of school was Tuesday after Labor Day. First football game that Friday night.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
In my neck of the woods, they've canceled practices and postponed games that occur from 10am-7pm. All the HS games are starting 30-45 mins later than usual. Pregame stuff was canceled too.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Games between teams located fairly close (think metro Jackson teams) shouldn't be an issue starting an hour later but for teams traveling a long distance it makes a big difference. If I was a coast team playing in central ms an extra hour may make me think twice about starting an hour later based on what time you would make it back.

• Angry
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's kinda nuts because I think this heat is a legit reason to cancel some things or move times. I'm very acclimated to it but I'm not going to go on a rant about how we're soft.....we all know that, it's the reality. So, it's a serious concern out there. But we choose to plow through things like this. There were schools practicing all kinds of sports yesterday at like 3 pm, in the heat of the hottest day on record.

Meanwhile, if it thunders a little bit, we cancel all activities for 2 days.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Games between teams located fairly close (think metro Jackson teams) shouldn't be an issue starting an hour later but for teams traveling a long distance it makes a big difference. If I was a coast team playing in central ms an extra hour may make me think twice about starting an hour later based on what time you would make it back.
Late night vs dead kid...

Aug 22, 2012
You guys will love this one. I have a friend that is in the radio business for the last 40 years. For years the MHSAA dictated kickoff times to keep the Jackson TV stations happy. Told him the tv stations wouldn’t have enough time to get highlights on by 10 if we didn’t have 7 pm kickoffs. No organization needs a thorough audit worse than MHSAA. Or course you would have to find out who they answer to first…..

WGWFA

Oct 12, 2021
What if we started having a midnight madness version of high school football? Or, what about 9pm starts?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You guys will love this one. I have a friend that is in the radio business for the last 40 years. For years the MHSAA dictated kickoff times to keep the Jackson TV stations happy. Told him the tv stations wouldn’t have enough time to get highlights on by 10 if we didn’t have 7 pm kickoffs. No organization needs a thorough audit worse than MHSAA. Or course you would have to find out who they answer to first…..
Assuming normal weather, what exactly is wrong with this?

boxmann

Oct 7, 2013
I had relatives who went to Eupora, I've been to dozens of games at that field. Alway brought my own chair and sat on the hill in the (west?) end zone. That was 20ish years ago. There were some great Eupora v Ackerman games back then.
Ya gotta get there early with your chair to get them premium hill spots 😂

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Been in high school coaching for the last 2 decades along with being the devil, and any coach that thinks like your are describing should be immediately fired. Just my two cents.

Leeshouldveflanked

Nov 12, 2016
Yep In the 80’s Games would start the Friday after Labor Day. Also we only got hose water during practice, if we got any water at all.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
I do have an early 80’s perspective on what a coach is…
Did not mean to imply that you were wrong, but being a coach has changed dramatically from the salt tablet days from legal liability to just a better understanding of safe practices stand points. To me it has always been simple, and this does not apply to a particular era. If you are doing anything that puts your players' safety at risk that could be avoided, then you should be shown the door. Winning is important. Having a advantage is important. But not as important as a kid's life, given that less than 3% of the kids that ever put on a high school helmet will go to college or make a living playing ball.

Last edited:

00Dawg

Nov 10, 2009
Here in Alabama, almost everyone has delayed tonight's games 30 minutes. They would push more, but apparently AHSAA has a mandatory stop time where you can't keep playing past something PM (I think they said 11?), and have to resume on Saturday.

Reactions: aTotal360

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
What if we started having a midnight madness version of high school football? Or, what about 9pm starts?
Starkville HS had Midnight Madness on the 12th, they had a shooting about 12:30 a.m. somewhere on the campus. Nothing good happens after midnight........

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
MHSAA has rules this year for the heat... but it's only for practice. Not games.

https://www.wapt.com/amp/article/mh...ng-student-athletes-safe-in-the-heat/44653641

Has football been canceling any practices?

I know golf has canceled many practices but they held a tournament in Jackson, Wednesday.
In GA, stoppages come down from GHSAA guidelines. Everyone goes off of wet bulb readings. It’s a better indicator than heat index. All the coaches have to record field level, wet bulb readings before they conduct a practice. To make it worse, we have turf fields. Our fields are awesome but, it’s hotter than the 7th level of hell on them right now. A few weekends ago, some private lacrosse club was practicing in the middle of the day on the fields. They had sprinkler/mister system set up. One of the coaches temped a black line on the field at 138 degrees.

Reactions: Maroon13

was21

May 29, 2007
Probably wait until one of the players dies, then they'll mandate it.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
View attachment 390893
People act like it wasn't hot in 1980. Video games and cell phones make kids pussies these days. That water hose water kept us going. Then we walked home after practice.
Since 1980 was 43 years ago, perhaps you can forgive the 20 million who are too young to remember that, and forgive the 180 million who werent even born yet.

You gonna break out some comment about the Korean War next?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login