Help me understand the LA Rams.....

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They are basically sort of the has-been All-Stars, just put together to win now. They have been from Cleveland to LA to St. Louis and back to LA and they share a stadium with the damn Chargers (San Diego's freaking team). Said stadium epitomizes everything about American luxury. All these celebrities at the game last night, none of them were even paying attention or care at all. I mean the name doesn't even make sense. It's like they are the new age money team but just don't really have any appeal at all.

That was the most meh Super Bowl win I've ever seen. The biggest story was Donald, Stafford, Kopps and McVay, which is cool for them, but there's just nothing else there.

There was just no tribalism at all, which is what makes sports great. It was like a big damn cartoon. I may be the only one who thinks of such things.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Look like the crowd gave the big middle finger to the mask mandate and the 500.00 fine for not wearing them. I will give credit there.********

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
They are basically sort of the has-been All-Stars, just put together to win now. They have been from Cleveland to LA to St. Louis and back to LA and they share a stadium with the damn Chargers (San Diego's freaking team). Said stadium epitomizes everything about American luxury. All these celebrities at the game last night, none of them were even paying attention or care at all. I mean the name doesn't even make sense. It's like they are the new age money team but just don't really have any appeal at all.

That was the most meh Super Bowl win I've ever seen. The biggest story was Donald, Stafford, Kopps and McVay, which is cool for them, but there's just nothing else there.

There was just no tribalism at all, which is what makes sports great. It was like a big damn cartoon. I may be the only one who thinks of such things.

I thought it was a pretty good game.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
They went all in on win-now mode and it paid off. I’m sure there will be a time in the near future when their roster is a bit of a mess (they haven’t had a 1st round pick since 2016 and won’t until at least 2024). But this strategy produced at least one championship so I’m sure they will take it.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012

You're right I'm also starting to think pro sports may be mostly about money

patdog

May 28, 2007
They've been in LA out of their 75 years of existence. The Cleveland or St. Louis Rams just doesn't sound right at all.
It was a pretty good and exciting game. Definitely one of the better Super Bowls.
Who gives a crap about the celebrities or other fans in the stands (or commercials or halftime show)? I'm watching the game and couldn't care less about all that irrelevant crap.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Has been all stars? They have the best defensive lineman, cornerback, and wide receiver in the NFL.

And let's talk about the QB... He was the fastest quarterback to reach 20,000, 30,000 and 40,000 career passing yards. At 33 years old he already ranks 12th all-time in both passing yards (49,995) and touchdowns (323). #4 all time passing yards per game (274) and #5 already in 4th quarter comebacks (34), despite wasting 12 years in football Hell. Now Stafford has a Superbowl ring his first year out of Detroit...

We have been sleeping on Stafford... He's tough as nails, has a rocket arm, hot wife, and proved he can win it all.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
NFL is like most companies today. Their focus is always on getting NEW customers and that leads them to take old customers for granted. That causes some loss but they think they can stay ahead in the long run and maybe they can. Sports doesn't seem to rely on building loyalty as it once did. It is hard with player movement in today's leagues. You just don't have your "guys" like it was in the past. It is actually more like College sports has always been due to the limited time you have players.

My personal example when I knew fandom is different than it used to be is when I went to a Grizzlies game back in the Grit Grind days. I grew up going to Nets and Knicks games and we were there to watch Basketball. I went to games in the Hump when I was at school and watched Basketball. I went to Mets games to watch Baseball and see what I couldn't see with the camera that only followed the ball. This Grizzlies game was so loud and relentless during what should have been down time, I felt tired by the end of the game. I never got a chance to catch my breath. They wanted to keep your heart rate up the entire time. Basketball was only part of the show. They want those fans that come to the event along with those that come to the game. But when The Rock does his thing, he is interfering with the game. 40 minute halftime shows interfere with the game. Fireworks, flashing lights and loud music interfere with the game. So when the game gets too interfered with, I lose interest.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
They've been in LA out of their 75 years of existence. The Cleveland or St. Louis Rams just doesn't sound right at all.
It was a pretty good and exciting game. Definitely one of the better Super Bowls.
Who gives a crap about the celebrities or other fans in the stands (or commercials or halftime show)? I'm watching the game and couldn't care less about all that irrelevant crap.
Well, they started in Cleveland, soooo.....

But we already hashed that out. I know not all names makes sense, but here it's just another in a long line of things that make this Super Bowl uneventful.

But I do agree the game was good, and it was entertainment - but sports can be so much better than ONLY that. I think most people walking around today have just accepted this soulless and/or cynical existence, but I'm holding out as long as humanly possible.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
NFL is like most companies today. Their focus is always on getting NEW customers and that leads them to take old customers for granted. That causes some loss but they think they can stay ahead in the long run and maybe they can. Sports doesn't seem to rely on building loyalty as it once did. It is hard with player movement in today's leagues. You just don't have your "guys" like it was in the past. It is actually more like College sports has always been due to the limited time you have players.

My personal example when I knew fandom is different than it used to be is when I went to a Grizzlies game back in the Grit Grind days. I grew up going to Nets and Knicks games and we were there to watch Basketball. I went to games in the Hump when I was at school and watched Basketball. I went to Mets games to watch Baseball and see what I couldn't see with the camera that only followed the ball. This Grizzlies game was so loud and relentless during what should have been down time, I felt tired by the end of the game. I never got a chance to catch my breath. They wanted to keep your heart rate up the entire time. Basketball was only part of the show. They want those fans that come to the event along with those that come to the game. But when The Rock does his thing, he is interfering with the game. 40 minute halftime shows interfere with the game. Fireworks, flashing lights and loud music interfere with the game. So when the game gets too interfered with, I lose interest.
That's a great summation. And this makes me thankful we still have college baseball which has largely lived outside of commercialization - for now.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
LA sports have long been about the elites and showing off like it's an awards show. Common people can't afford to go to stuff like that.

Just look at the crowd last night. Elites doing their thing not abiding by any of the mandates in LA County. Doesn't apply to them. When I finished my masters degree I had a few groups wanting me to stay and work LA. I said wouldn't any way. I'm not wealthy or social elite enough to live there. The people saying fu to the mask mandate are the same politicians and celebrities pushing masks in schools in LA.

As far as the game it was okay. Not as much offense as we saw in afc playoff games but at least it was a close game that came down to last drive.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
I today's era of 51-42 scores in college football games, I'm liking games where the offense has to actually struggle some and work for their points more and more.

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
Has been all stars? They have the best defensive lineman, cornerback, and wide receiver in the NFL.

And let's talk about the QB... He was the fastest quarterback to reach 20,000, 30,000 and 40,000 career passing yards. At 33 years old he already ranks 12th all-time in both passing yards (49,995) and touchdowns (323). #4 all time passing yards per game (274) and #5 already in 4th quarter comebacks (34), despite wasting 12 years in football Hell. Now Stafford has a Superbowl ring his first year out of Detroit...

We have been sleeping on Stafford... He's tough as nails, has a rocket arm, hot wife, and proved he can win it all.

Stafford is the only reason I cared about this game. That and all the insufferable Bengals fans that have sprouted up around town the last two weeks. The dude deserved to play for a winner and I'm glad he got his.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Stafford is the only reason I cared about this game. That and all the insufferable Bengals fans that have sprouted up around town the last two weeks. The dude deserved to play for a winner and I'm glad he got his.

Agree 100%. Better than seeing Brady in another one.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Look like the crowd gave the big middle finger to the mask mandate and the 500.00 fine for not wearing them. I will give credit there.********

I would give more credit if a sizeable majority of those in attendance didn't probably support mask mandates for other people.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login