Help with ESPN+ (Xfinity users)

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I tried (for about 30 seconds) to watch the bball game last night. The app kept telling me the game was behind the ESPN+ paywall.

Was it?

Is there anything in place, other than public backlash, to keep ESPN from putting live SEC content behind the ESPN+ paywall?

Last edited:

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
It's my understanding that you have to have a television package that contains ESPN/ESPN+ access in order to view most streaming content on ESPN. I had to sign in with my YoutubeTV account to watch. It also requires me to do that to watch most football games that are streaming.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I have Xfinity and it gives me access to SECN and all the games. So I thought. Usually, it works. But not last night.

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
I have Xfinity and it gives me access to SECN and all the games. So I thought. Usually, it works. But not last night.
Yeah, I think you're right there.
ESPN+ is different than ESPN3, apparently - hard to keep up with all the streaming services.
Just realized, I've got ESPN+ access through our Disney+ bundle I think.

Xenomorph

Feb 15, 2007
What device?... The ESPN app is devious. It sometimes purposely hides the SEC+ option and tries to make you go through an ESPN+ subscription.

If you're on Apple make sure the app is updated. Last night I didn't have the option to choose my tv provider until immediately after I updated. Also if you're on Apple.. make sure you go to Settings/(scroll way down)TV Provider and make sure you've got the right one selected. I use YT TV and last night mine was still set to DirecTV so it wouldn't let me log in.

Finally... regardless if you're on Roku, iOS, etc.. make sure you're clicking on the SEC+ broadcast and NOT the ESPN+ broadcast. Sometimes they're side by side.. in other apps you click on what you want to watch and then choose which broadcast.

I'm a minor expert at this because I have multiple 80 year old people in my life who think I must be the love child of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates when it comes to fixing their streaming issues.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
I was trying to access it through my Xfinity cable box. I have reminders setup so when something MSU related comes on, I can automatically tune to it. Last night was the first time it paywalled me. Sounds like it could be a Xfinity software issue. Curious if it's intentional.

And I agree with you about the ESPN app being devious on where to access content. I had that same experience last year on mobile.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
Last night (was on SECN+ so you should have access to it with a cable package that has SECN. It gave me the option to watch with SECN+ or ESPN+ in the Roku app.

As apart of the SEC'S deal with ESPN all conference games and games in SEC arenas are supposed to be SEC+

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
I was trying to access it through my Xfinity cable box. I have reminders setup so when something MSU related comes on, I can automatically tune to it. Last night was the first time it paywalled me. Sounds like it could be a Xfinity software issue. Curious if it's intentional.

And I agree with you about the ESPN app being devious on where to access content. I had that same experience last year on mobile.
I always get both options - espn+ and secn+. Have you tried searching “Mississippi state”. That may bring up all available options instead of relying on what they just offer on the UI

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Last night (was on SECN+ so you should have access to it with a cable package that has SECN. It gave me the option to watch with SECN+ or ESPN+ in the Roku app.

As apart of the SEC'S deal with ESPN all conference games and games in SEC arenas are supposed to be SEC+
Also on the Samsung TV version, it gave the option to choose either the SECN+ or ESPN+. For those that have SECN with their TV provider, you just have to make sure to be logged in and select the correct one.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I watched it on my PS5 and when I click on the game it gives you the option to go to ESPN+ or SECN+ (through tv privider).

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
As others have said, if it says SEC+ it is an extension of SEC network and is available as part of your cable/satellite/streaming package.

if it is ESPN+ only that is a separate subscription altogether and is either standalone or part of the Hulu/Disney+ bundle. MS Southern has had several games on ESPN+ this season.

oxdawg

Mar 3, 2008

I had the same issue with my Xfinity box last night. Never got it to work. Switched to Roku and watched it that way.

Reactions: aTotal360

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Last year - there were some games where I could watch SECN+ broadcasts on my phone/iPad choosing xfinity as my tv provider but could not via an xfinity box. I would just mirror my ipad to the TV at that point.

Last edited:
Reactions: aTotal360
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login