Oregon over Utah
UAB over UTSA
Syracuse over NC State
Virginia over Pittsburgh

Would be nice, but unlikely
UNLV over San Diego State
Illinois over Iowa
Nebraska over Wisconsin

My analysis says that entering the Egg Bowl, we need to be within 10 spots of Ole Miss in order for a victory to move them down and State up enough to pass them. A&M lost to a ranked team and moved down 5 spots. Oklahoma lost to a ranked team and moved down 5 spots. Arkansas beat an unranked LSU and moved up 4 spots. What you are looking for is for a State win to move us very close to Ole Miss where the committee has to say "Oh ****, State just beat Ole Miss, lets reverse that order."

The wildcard in this is going to be Texas A&M. The easy thing to do is hope for Orgeron to have one final stand in Death Valley. Remember, if Alabama and Georgia make the playoff, the top ranked SEC team goes to the Sugar Bowl, whether its #5 or #25. I can't get people in real life to realize this. An 8-4 Auburn went as the #15 team a few years ago in the same scenario we are looking at.

Last edited:

msudawg1200

Sep 19, 2012
Yep. Many people don't understand that the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings after the playoff teams go to the Sugar. Example: if the highest ranked SEC team was #7 then that team goes to the Sugar, and none would be in the CFP. If both Bama and UGA go to the CFP, then the next highest ranked SEC team in the CFP goes. Whether it's #5 or #25.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
Yep. Many people don't understand that the highest ranked SEC team in the CFP rankings after the playoff teams go to the Sugar. Example: if the highest ranked SEC team was #7 then that team goes to the Sugar, and none would be in the CFP. If both Bama and UGA go to the CFP, then the next highest ranked SEC team in the CFP goes. Whether it's #5 or #25.

That's true, but the only way it's possible if Alabama and Georgia both make the playoffs, which probably requires Alabama to beat Georgia to get to 12-1, which I don't see as very likely.

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
Zero chance. They dont even care that Mich St beat Michigan. We cant gain 13 spots on OM with whats left.

Last edited by a moderator:

Faustdog

Jun 4, 2007
Yeah, we needed to by be higher than 25th this week for any chance of this.

IPMdawg

Aug 22, 2012
I think we get some credit for the nature of the Memphis loss too. When the conference acknowledges the screw up, it basically should be treated as a draw. An 8-3-1 Mississippi State that beat a 9-4 Ole Miss should move ahead. Especially with our nonconference win over NC State compared to their win over Louisville.

G-Dawg

Sep 6, 2012
Yeah, we needed to by be higher than 25th this week for any chance of this.

Think what wins over Memphis, LSU and a FG over Arkansas would have done for our Sugar Bowl chances. I still think Alabama will end up there.

Junction John

Oct 22, 2014
I'd like to add a Vandy win over OM to the "would be nice" category... It may be <10%, but given their history and what I saw in Austin last Saturday, there is still a chance.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
UTSA and Pittsburgh were on the ropes, but not a single one of these games are coming through so far. Probably only going to move up one or two spots, depending on if Oregon comes through. Not sure that’s enough to pass OM unless we just blow them out.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
Yep. It wasn’t a great day for our Sugar Bowl hopes. Plus ole miss will move up 2 with Wake and Michigan State losses.

Probably playing for Orlando Thursday night. Unless Vanderbilt wins tonight. Then everything changes.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
This committee values their eye tests above all. State will not move above Ole Miss regardless of the Egg Bowl score.

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
Safe to say this is officially dead short of miracle Vandy win tonight which is looking more and more unlikely. aTm will likely move up ahead of Wake and MichSt after their performances today. Utah winning will move them higher. UTSA might drop after their game against UAB. Arkansas drops out.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
So now we want UGA to beat Bama to make Bama take it. I’d rather Bama than aTm or Mississippi

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login