Here we go: BIG players want a piece of TV pie

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Feb 23, 2008
It’s purely entertainment for me at this point. I used to buy season tickets for

Over 20 years and used to give large donations to the Bulldog Club for the chance to do so. For the last 2 years I’ve watched on tv and already couldn’t have been happier. Now I’m even more happy. If they want to be professionals, fans need to start treating them as such. I like the Cardinals but I’m not donating money so they can go sign players. It’s just like wrestling in my book. Love it for the entertainment but that’s where it stops now.

T-TownDawgg

Nov 4, 2015
Im gonna laugh my *** off when lawyers get involved and start making all these perceived values dependent upon contractual agreements, bringing this horseshit to an end.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Started with the PAC 12 players months ago trying this.

My guess we are 2-3 years away from 4 semi professional leagues very much like the NFL. With salaried players, salary caps, drafts, the whole enchilada.

Aug 3, 2019
Why not ask for a piece of the pie?

College football is the NFL's Developmental league. If a young engineer is talented enough to help an engineering firm, he would get his way through school paid, if not just signed and begin working with the firm right there....and the University would brag about it.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
NIL...check , Player unions...check , Strikes...coming soon , Total destruction of the game...on the radar.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Players unions… the younger generation has more balls than those old farts who ended up crippled and bragging about it with nothing to show for it. This a violent sport that makes millions, why shouldn’t they get their share? People hating on them have bought into hating on all labor that wants their share. I say get your damn share young man. They getting rich on your back.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Back during my time in school most of the players I knew used their scholarships to get a good education. They used the self discipline and teamwork they learned from playing college ball along with the doors it opened for them to launch successful lives and and careers. Things have obviously changed since then but they definitely got a lot more than "nothing to show for it".

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
College football is the NFL's Developmental league. If a young engineer is talented enough to help an engineering firm, he would get his way through school paid, if not just signed and begin working with the firm right there....and the University would brag about it.

Hmm - engineering firm (professional) paying for the engineering student’s tuition

I think the university does this for football players, no?

Problem is that the NFL, which is similar to the engineering firm above, is barred doing that very thing until either a certain age is reached or that player is drafted, why?

The CBA and the players union agreeing to it

Why do they agree to it?

Who represents the players’s union? Veteran players

If they allow younger players, who does it hurt? Veteran players

Players unions… the younger generation has more balls than those old farts who ended up crippled and bragging about it with nothing to show for it. This a violent sport that makes millions, why shouldn’t they get their share? People hating on them have bought into hating on all labor that wants their share. I say get your damn share young man. They getting rich on your back.

I’m all for making as much as possible- just don’t treat them as amateurs

Every benefit of being an athlete that costs now becomes taxable to the player

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
Id be ok with players getting their stipends raised significantly through tv money. I like the idea of it better than nil. However thanks to the courts, nil is to stay.

but back to the point, another good thing about sharing tv money, maybe title ix requires the money to be given to all athletes and not just football.

msudawg200

Feb 1, 2012
Never thought I’d say this, but I’ve enjoyed the NFL more than college football the last couple of years. The way it’s going, the biggest difference between the two in the near future will be quality of play. And I’ll take the better quality of play.

Not sure I blame anyone for this (though the NCAA has compounded the issue), but college football used to give me a sense of loyalty, pride, and hope - i.e. the players were choosing State cause they wanted to be there, we just needed to hit on a couple key players and we could make a jump in a year or two, etc. Now my mindset is players are only going to the highest bidder, we will never have enough money to compete, and if we happen to build a good team, it will be poached by the bigger schools.

In reality, neither probably were/are fully accurate. Certainly some naivety in the past and probably too much cynicism now, but nonetheless, that’s how I felt then vs now and that’s made the college game far less interesting to me.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Back during my time in school most of the players I knew used their scholarships to get a good education. They used the self discipline and teamwork they learned from playing college ball along with the doors it opened for them to launch successful lives and and careers. Things have obviously changed since then but they definitely got a lot more than "nothing to show for it".

Ok grandpa

“Why in my day, college football players didn’t even demand protective gear because they knew concussions and spinal injuries built character dammit!”

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Those players who are getting nil money and whatever other financial perks, perhaps they shouldn’t reap the benefits of free schooling. If their making X amount over and above what a scholarship pays they should pay for their own education and give that scholarship to someone who can benefit from it.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

They are getting their share already. They are pretty well paid for minor league professional athletes. People only pay a lot of money to watch minor league sports because of the school brand.

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Those players who are getting nil money and whatever other financial perks, perhaps they shouldn’t reap the benefits of free schooling. If their making X amount over and above what a scholarship pays they should pay for their own education and give that scholarship to someone who can benefit from it.

Or maybe they should do what most people do in the real world - get everything they can for as long as they can get it.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
OK junior ,

LIKE TODAY, they had the best gear available at that time. FWIW they played the "game" because they loved it and wanted to get an education and for your info UNLIKE TODAY most of them already had character when they walked on campus. MOST IMPORTANTLY the game is still causing concussions and spinal injuries even with all the new gear .

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

Was college football a billion dollar industry back in your time?

Anyone arguing getting a full scholarship is nothing is an idiot but the value of college football has increased significantly while return to the players has not. That is why you’re seeing these movements now.

With that said, it’s out of control and not sustainable. If players are looking to get rich, I don’t see a market for that but the ability to make some money should be there.

Bud.sixpack

Aug 24, 2012
Not buying tickets for first time in 25 plus years. Not donating to the Bulldog club either after 20 plus years. If I want to watch pro football I'll go watch the Saints.
I may donate to the initiative, book marked for baseball only. There is no way State fans can raise enough money to buy a top 20 football team.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Over 20 years and used to give large donations to the Bulldog Club for the chance to do so. For the last 2 years I’ve watched on tv and already couldn’t have been happier. Now I’m even more happy. If they want to be professionals, fans need to start treating them as such. I like the Cardinals but I’m not donating money so they can go sign players. It’s just like wrestling in my book. Love it for the entertainment but that’s where it stops now.

Agree.

College football and basketball = professional 'rasslin.

msugolf

Dec 29, 2008

There is no more “teamwork.” Everything is done for the benefit of self marketing and “gotta get mine.”

If they want to get paid like adults and business, treat them like it. That comes with real life grown up problems like filing a LLC, paying taxes, breach of contract, etc. I can’t wait for the first case of some player getting paid “X” amount of $ by a booster/business to come to their school and then bolting or quitting after a season. There’s going to be lawsuits eventually by pissed off money men.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
They deserve a piece, IMO. We’ve always paid college football players - we’re just now bringing out of the shadows.

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Anybody who thinks it’s unfair for college athletes to not get mega salaries for playing college football should ask and answer the following question.

Why does college football generate so much interest and money, yet the USFL, XFL and Arena football not? Those are better players on better teams.

Why does college baseball generate significantly more interest than AA and AAA baseball? Those are better players in better teams.

Why does college basketball generate significantly more interest than the NBA D-league. Those are better players on better teams.

The answer is clear. The players and their talents aren’t the significant driver of the interest and monetary value of the sport. Their association with a university is. If a 21 year old Dak Prescott quarterbacked the NFL double A affiliate Starkville Sonics, nobody is tuning in nor cares.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Then why does the monetary value increase as the level of player talent increase?

We can all agree there is more interest in the SEC’s talent level than the Sunbelt’s, right?

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
Because the SEC has bigger brand name universities, a rich history, with significantly bigger universities than the Sun Belt. The level of player talent is just correlated, it’s not the cause. Deion can recruit all the 5-star talent he wants, but the Heritage Bowl isn’t going to come close to outdrawing the Iron Bowl.

Then why does the monetary value increase as the level of player talent increase?

We can all agree there is more interest in the SEC’s talent level than the Sunbelt’s, right?

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Anybody who thinks it’s unfair for college athletes to not get mega salaries for playing college football should ask and answer the following question.

Why does college football generate so much interest and money, yet the USFL, XFL and Arena football not? Those are better players on better teams.

Why does college baseball generate significantly more interest than AA and AAA baseball? Those are better players in better teams.

Why does college basketball generate significantly more interest than the NBA D-league. Those are better players on better teams.

The answer is clear. The players and their talents aren’t the significant driver of the interest and monetary value of the sport. Their association with a university is. If a 21 year old Dak Prescott quarterbacked the NFL double A affiliate Starkville Sonics, nobody is tuning in nor cares.

I’ll return to on campus games when student athletes that represent my university return to the teams and these pro players are gone.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I’m not sure the SEC universities are much larger, honestly. Can you tell which of these groups are the SEC and which is CUSA based on the size of their enrollments?

Group A -
1) 61K
2) 49K
3) 36K
4) 35K
5) 34K

Group B -
1) 58K
2) 42K
3) 35K
4) 30K
5) 30K

Eleven Bravo

Aug 31, 2018
I have pretty much said to hell with college football. I stopped buying football season tickets a couple of years ago. I still pay for season tickets for baseball (I’ve had chairbacks since we received-did the first baseball stadium upgrade) and will continue to do so. Hell, in years where we host regionals/super regionals I can sell those tickets for big money. I’ve never done that before, but if this is all about money, I may as well cash in on it, too. I have always given my tickets away if I couldn’t make the games, but this whole NIL/transfer portal has made me look at this thing differently. I’m a 40+ year Bulldog Club member/donor but I’m stopping that donation. The paltry $2500/year I give them amounts to peanuts, anyhow. I just can’t be a party to this “pay for play” thing that’s happening now. College football as we have known it is gone. It’s over. Perhaps someone will have the balls to come up with a scenario where these NIL recipients will have to pay the schools for the rights to play on their fields, pay for the coaching they receive, pay for using the weight rooms, facilities etc. After all, if the schools don’t provide these greedy prima donnas a place to showcase themselves there isn’t any need for NIL. Without the schools these kids don’t have a stage to play on. It’ll be interesting to see what happens to the game 5 years down the road. I’ll be surprised if it takes that long. I just know that I won’t be a part of it. I would rather sit at home and watch the NFL on Sundays to get my football fix. The end of college football is near.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
I’m not sure the SEC universities are much larger, honestly. Can you tell which of these groups are the SEC and which is CUSA based on the size of their enrollments?

Group A -
1) 61K
2) 49K
3) 36K
4) 35K
5) 34K

Group B -
1) 58K
2) 42K
3) 35K
4) 30K
5) 30K

Enrollment doesn’t really tell much of a story when you are looking at those giant *** commuter schools like FIU, UCF, Liberty, etc. 90% of students at those schools don’t give a damn about any of the sports teams.

Compare that to a school like Clemson that has an enrollment of like 25k in a city of only like 17k-18k. Yet, they fill up an 85,000 seat football stadium because 90% of the students at schools like that care more about the sports teams and the pageantry around them than what they are there to study (and, in many cases, whether they even study at all). That’s a brand value that isn’t related to the talent of any particular individual on the field in the slightest. When Johnny Manziel was at Texas A&M, they had 100,000 in the stands and 10,000,000 watching every play on TV. When he graduated and Kenny 17ing Hill took over, they still had 100,000 in the stands and 10,000,000 watching on TV. Talent in the individual sense doesn’t matter all relative to the revenue these teams are producing.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Okay, but I don’t think college baseball teams are outdrawing MiLB clubs. The Barrons and Nashville Sound are each averaging 7-9K per game. Huntsville’s team is close to 6K. Those numbers would put them in top 95%+ of all D1 baseball programs. The MS Braves show 3K per game. That might be more than all but a handful of SEC schools.

I doubt college hockey is outdrawing ‘minor league’ hockey as well. Our local minor league hockey club has quite a following.

Last edited:

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
As I have posted before The major colleges need to offer a professional sports curriculum. Every other person goes to college to prepare them for their future of choice, Do the same for these people. You can have true academic courses for those that choose to go to the new curriculum. Have classes on law for contracts, finance, communications, business, psychology, Kineseology, etc. along with expansion on the physical requirements necessary to succeed in your chosen sport. Those that want to study for other futures are welcome to do so.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Okay, but I don’t think college baseball teams are outdrawing MiLB clubs. The Barrons and Nashville Sound are each averaging 7-9K per game. Huntsville’s team is close to 6K. Those numbers would put them in top 95%+ of all D1 baseball programs. The MS Braves show 3K per game. That might be more than all but a handful of SEC schools.

I doubt college hockey is outdrawing ‘minor league’ hockey as well. Our local minor league hockey club has quite a following.

It's not college baseball or hockey players driving the request for more money either. It's not entirely coincidental that college baseball has ****** scholarships. Some of that is Title IX driven, but the reason it gets hammered rather than football or basketball is that since there has been minor league ball for forever, college baseball just hasn't taken off like college football or basketball.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I wasn't trying to make an argument about the money because there is none, There is a thousand times more money now. The point I was trying to make is that the education and the intangibles young men got out of playing college football back then lasted a lifetime. When kids start playing JUST for the money that's all they'll get out of it and for most of them it'll all be gone by time they're 25 yrs old and they'll head right back where they came from. My point was the kids that played back in "grand paw's" day got far more than the "nothing to show for it" some are stating on here.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It doesn't, really. A 21 year old that is not good enough for the NFL but that would be all SEC is going to get less money than a good SEC football player. Because schools are competing with each other, not arena or USFL or whatever. If the NFL started a minor league and immediately drafted the best 1,000 P5 players to fill 16 teams and then started taking the top 250 high school players each year, the P5 wouldn't miss a beat as far as profitability. It would take a year or so to recover through recruiting and transfers, then everything would look basically the same. Nobody would care that the teams are no longer as talented, as long as their team is still good compared to the other schools they care about beating. The NFL minor league, with much better talent, quite possibly wouldn't be able to survive without a subsidy from the NFL.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Maybe I’m missing something, but I’m not understanding this argument.

In your example, a young talented engineer would have his school paid for via scholarship while he trains in college and eventually joins a company that pays him a salary post-graduation.

In college sports, a young talented athlete follows the exact same process.

Completely understand that college football is a billion dollar entity whereas the Bagley College of Engineering is not, but that’s also why an athlete is able to enjoy hundred million dollar training facilities while engineers sit in empty classrooms with a smart board. I don’t blame athletes for wanting a piece of the pie, but I’m also not understanding how college engineers have the leg up here.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
This is a pie in the sky thought, but one of the best things that could possibly happen right now would be for the XFL to be a huge success and turn into a legit minor league system for the NFL. If they could pull the Top 50 HS grads out of the recruiting pool every year, college football parity would improve, it would limit these multi-million $ NIL wars, and it creates an actual alternative like the NBA’s g league.

I know, I know… it’s been tried a hundred times, but maybe the Rock can pull it off

Bulldog from Birth

Jan 23, 2007
You are comparing apples to oranges. You take the BEST minor league attendance numbers and compare them to college baseball AVERAGES. If you compare the best college baseball attendances (the SEC) to the best minor league attendances, it’s clear. But not only that, the seat premiums that folks pay, plus tv interest, plus big events like the CWS, the revenue generation by college baseball dwarfs minor league baseball.

Your hockey analogy is not relevant. Hockey is a niche sport in America. A lot of the major colleges don’t even have hockey teams.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login