Here's how I would handle bringing in a transfer QB...

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
We really only need a QB for a year, maybe two, to push Rogers and to allow Parson to redshirt. Robertson may be a serviceable Air Raid QB, but I believe for Mississippi State's offense to make a leap forward in the SEC we need a Bryce Young-type who can extend plays when the OL breaks down. For the future that QB is Chris Parson, but I don't know think he'll be here until Summer and that's not enough time to learn the offense.

So, what I would do is target older (preferably grad transfer), mobile QBs from the G5 or FCS. To get past the roadblock of having an entrenched starter and a loaded QB room, Leach and Co. should hammer the idea that even if you never start, never play a down at Mississippi State, the experience of being a Mike Leach Air Raid QB can jump start a *future coaching career.*

Seriously, what living coach has a more impressive offensive coaching tree than Mike Leach? The pitch is: "Do you want to be the next Kliff Kingsbury? The next Graham Harrell? Josh Heupel? Sonny Cumbie?" Those are all former Leach QBs who are high-profile coaches. You can still sell the Air Raid, without selling playing time. That's gotta to be attractive to quality QBs who want a career in coaching.

• Sad
Reactions: AROB44

Coast_Dawg

Nov 16, 2020
You want an accurate, smart, mobile QB…the first two are requirements for Leach, not you. That means you basically want someone of Heisman caliber, at worst, 2015 Dak. Good luck getting that to transfer in.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
You want an accurate, smart, mobile QB…the first two are requirements for Leach, not you. That means you basically want someone of Heisman caliber, at worst, 2015 Dak. Good luck getting that to transfer in.
You've got it backwards. Leach's system turns a smart, accurate, mobile QB into a Heisman candidate [see Gardner Minshew]. My point is, you can push the Air Raid system, without guaranteeing playing time.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
You've got it backwards. Leach's system turns a smart, accurate, mobile QB into a Heisman candidate [see Gardner Minshew]. My point is, you can push the Air Raid system, without guaranteeing playing time.
Woody, is that you?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Speaking of Woody, an unpopular opinion is that instead of worrying about QBs we might need to be concerned about good RBs because if not in 24 all we will have is Price, a guy from junior college and a couple walk on. We need Dowdell and maybe another this year

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Speaking of Woody, an unpopular opinion is that instead of worrying about QBs we might need to be concerned about good RBs because if not in 24 all we will have is Price, a guy from junior college and a couple walk on. We need Dowdell and maybe another this year
The commit from Katy, TX, Seth Davis, is pretty good. Don't' forget about him.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
You don't do anything at QB next year. You have Rogers, Robertson, Greek, Locke and Parson and the walk-on Weir. At least 1, maybe 2, will probably transfer. You've still got plenty.

The unfortunate reality is that you just can't add an upperclass QB right now. It's Will's team.

And on the mobile stuff, you are wrong, @Coast_Dawg is right. You have to have the accuracy first, then the grasp of the offense. Being mobile helps ALL quarterbacks, but you still have to have the basics. You aren't finding a Minshew with our QB room, unless Rogers transfers.

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
Question, if the two 4* on the bench aren’t any good why did we recruit them? Who’s doing the recruiting? IMO if we’ve got to look for QB in the portal and sign him he sure as **** not going to sit on the bench and wait for leach to hopefully bench Will ( not happening) or wait for Will to leave. I understand that sometimes recruits to work out but in this instance something is really wrong.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You don't do anything at QB next year. You have Rogers, Robertson, Greek, Locke and Parson and the walk-on Weir. At least 1, maybe 2, will probably transfer. You've still got plenty.

The unfortunate reality is that you just can't add an upperclass QB right now. It's Will's team.

And on the mobile stuff, you are wrong, @Coast_Dawg is right. You have to have the accuracy first, then the grasp of the offense. Being mobile helps ALL quarterbacks, but you still have to have the basics. You aren't finding a Minshew with our QB room, unless Rogers transfers.
Yup. Only chance is for Will to get better (which he can; as much as people talk about his physical limitations, it wasn't his physical limitations that killed us), one of the younger QBs to push him (which is probably not going to happen with Robertson; Locke and Greek are at least young enough that they could still make a jump), or to just catch crazy lightning in a bottle with a nobody transfer that transfers in because he doesn't have a path to a P5 starting QB position anywhere.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Question, if the two 4* on the bench aren’t any good why did we recruit them? Who’s doing the recruiting? IMO if we’ve got to look for QB in the portal and sign him he sure as **** not going to sit on the bench and wait for leach to hopefully bench Will ( not happening) or wait for Will to leave. I understand that sometimes recruits to work out but in this instance something is really wrong.
I don't know if we're even in the market for a transfer QB.

I think we need one, however - someone who can push Will more than Robertson has. If it were me, I'd bring in someone who can scramble. Maybe the Texas QBs we have are ready to pop this next season, but who knows?

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Thanks, yeah I forgot about him. Sawyer has all the physical tools to be a great QB. Will just has a better command of the system.

Reactions: Ibdancin

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008

The question I've heard asked lately is why would a grad-transfer want to transfer into Mississippi State while Rogers is still sitting there. The Air Raid angle is my answer. Will they play a meaningful snap? Probably not, but I think you need to bring someone in.

OIP (1).jpg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yup. Only chance is for Will to get better (which he can; as much as people talk about his physical limitations, it wasn't his physical limitations that killed us), one of the younger QBs to push him (which is probably not going to happen with Robertson; Locke and Greek are at least young enough that they could still make a jump), or to just catch crazy lightning in a bottle with a nobody transfer that transfers in because he doesn't have a path to a P5 starting QB position anywhere.
I think Will is a low ceiling guy, he doesn't have a lot of potential ahead of him. Will either can't or won't force the ball downfield, which he has to do to get better. To get us to the next level, we need a QB that is not only mobile, but has the ability/willingness to throw a receiver "open."

Darryl Steight

Sep 30, 2022

I like Locke. People forget about him, but he seems like a gamer. He may be that bridge guy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The question I've heard asked lately is why would a grad-transfer want to transfer into Mississippi State while Rogers is still sitting there. The Air Raid angle is my answer. Will they play a meaningful snap? Probably not, but I think you need to bring someone in.

View attachment 272212
Washington State's QB room in 2018 had no real returning experience. That's why Minshew went. The best we can hope for now is a walk-on type. We're not going to get a sitting starter like a Jack Abraham.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I think Will is a low ceiling guy, he doesn't have a lot of potential ahead of him. Will either can't or won't force the ball downfield, which he has to do to get better. To get us to the next level, we need a QB that is not only mobile, but has the ability/willingness to throw a receiver "open."
For us to get to 10 wins, Will is going to have to get the ball downfield and have better pocket presence.

For us to become a national title contender, we have to have all the above plus the mobility, i.e. Johnny Football or Cam Newton or Tim Tebow. That's likely not happening. You really need to quit hoping for it.

Maybe Chris Parson is that guy, but unfair to place those expectations on him.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022

Yep. Based on having Will, I don't see us going after a QB in the portal as I think it would be disruptive and bad for the locker room. Gotta see some competition with who we already have.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Most QBs aren't ready in years 1 or 2. That's where Locke and Robertson are. Dak didn't do anything until year 3 and he's a bonafide NFL starter. Neither did Eli Manning.

What's wrong with some of you? Have you never watched football before?

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
For us to get to 10 wins, Will is going to have to get the ball downfield and have better pocket presence.

For us to become a national title contender, we have to have all the above plus the mobility, i.e. Johnny Football or Cam Newton or Tim Tebow. That's likely not happening. You really need to quit hoping for it.

Maybe Chris Parson is that guy, but unfair to place those expectations on him.
Who here is talking national titles? I'm asking for the offense to be more effective.

• Angry
Reactions: DoggieDaddy13

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018

View attachment 272212

Last spring, Sawyer did push Rogers.

The issue with Sawyer coming in and looking bad is 2 fold. Game time experience and the players around him when he comes in. Nobody is going to start over Will because Will has the team in his hand and that's a major factor.

Sawyer is mobile. So is Locke. A lot of people think Parson will come in and start immediately. That's not going to happen. I know you want it, but he will not start. He has never been in an air raid. Both Robinson and Locke have! They are way ahead of him in scheme and knowledge. Parson will be great, but his time won't be in 2 years. He will RS his freshman year, He will be a back up in 2025/6

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
We don't need Cam Newton or anything. We just need Will to grow a pair a find some green every now and again when the progressions don't work. Maybe a designed QB draw or two when we have 5-wide they have 3 down linemen? Hell, he can even slide 2 yards before he needs to. Just grab the free 2-3 yards given by a sagging defense and keep the chains moving. Avoid the 10 yard sacks and drive killers at worst. At best, maybe the defense rethinks how they use their LBs and we open up more passing lanes. That's his next step. His arm isn't going to get significantly stronger and he's a already beast at the short/mid routes. His low hanging fruit in stepping up his game and the production on offense is his intelligent use of his legs. Just keep them honest and quit making big pocket mistakes.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
We aren’t getting an experienced qb to transfer in to ride the pine. Rogers will be the starter next year. The sooner everyone understands that the sooner we can stop posting about transfer qbs.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
My experience tells me to never pencil in a starter at QB in the SEC until you actually see him on the field. That applies to Parsons and anyone 4* or higher.

Reactions: HailStateTate

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004

You bring up a good point. Will has been the leader of the offense for 2 1/2 years and from all outward appearances they seem cohesive. You have a WR that looks like a prime player to enter the transfer portal in other situations, vocally recruiting players to State, which speaks volumes. Many of these starters have been with Will for 2 years, some 3 and any potential athletic gain you may get could be offset by locker room dissension.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Most QBs aren't ready in years 1 or 2. That's where Locke and Robertson are. Dak didn't do anything until year 3 and he's a bonafide NFL starter. Neither did Eli Manning.

What's wrong with some of you? Have you never watched football before?
I’m fairness, I never played in an offense that was written on a napkin.

• Haha
Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
I've been on Rogers since game two this year. He didn't make much of a jump in his play from 2021 to 2022. If anything, he regressed - particularly in situational awareness. Really thought he'd have the ability to put the ball out where his receivers could go get it, but he has a hard time doing that even on his short to intermediate passes.
That written, he's not going anywhere and we're not getting a transfer. He still looks to be our best possible option in 2023. You just got to hope he recognizes his deficiencies and works hard to correct them during the off season. He has got to get better.

Reactions: SchrodingersDawg

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Yep. Based on having Will, I don't see us going after a QB in the portal as I think it would be disruptive and bad for the locker room. Gotta see some competition with who we already have.
I don't think we will. Sawyer will be #2 next year and starter the year after with Locke number 2.

For those that may not know:

Sawyer career stats in HS (4 year starter)--- Passing 12148 on 1359 attempts with 149 Tds to 22 INTs. (there was only 1 other QB that year to have more career yards in the USA). He rushed it 53 times averaging 4.4 per carry(longest 46 yard run) with 5 TDs. He's mobile enough.

And if you think that's great, Here is Locke;

11182 yards in only 3 seasons on 1127 attempts. 128 TDs (broke the record at 127 in 6a). He broke Murray's record. In fact SI headline:

Record-Breaking High School QB Locke Share Freak of the Week Honors​

Mississippi State quarterback break storied state records of former No. 1 overall NFL Draft picks.

We are set and these guys came here specifically for Leach and his training.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You bring up a good point. Will has been the leader of the offense for 2 1/2 years and from all outward appearances they seem cohesive. You have a WR that looks like a prime player to enter the transfer portal in other situations, vocally recruiting players to State, which speaks volumes. Many of these starters have been with Will for 2 years, some 3 and any potential athletic gain you may get could be offset by locker room dissension.

This is a massive point!

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Last spring, Sawyer did push Rogers.

The issue with Sawyer coming in and looking bad is 2 fold. Game time experience and the players around him when he comes in. Nobody is going to start over Will because Will has the team in his hand and that's a major factor.

Sawyer is mobile. So is Locke. A lot of people think Parson will come in and start immediately. That's not going to happen. I know you want it, but he will not start. He has never been in an air raid. Both Robinson and Locke have! They are way ahead of him in scheme and knowledge. Parson will be great, but his time won't be in 2 years. He will RS his freshman year, He will be a back up in 2025/6
Fair enough. The good thing is we have options. I just haven't been impressed with the backups to date - in the limited times we've seen them. I'd be curious to know what insiders in the program think of Robertson and Locke. Usually, you hear chatter about how so and so is really lighting it up in practice, etc.

Reactions: Ibdancin

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
You can not judge a QB by his play when he only gets in one quarter a year. Its possible Sawyer may overtake Will next fall when they are competing on a level playing field. But Will has a distinct advantage in experience. Physically tho he is miles ahead.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
You can not judge a QB by his play when he only gets in one quarter a year. Its possible Sawyer may overtake Will next fall when they are competing on a level playing field. But Will has a distinct advantage in experience. Physically tho he is miles ahead.

I believe in 2024, we will shock the NCAA world with what we field.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login