Heresay of Florida State, Clemson, North Carolina and Virginia joining the SEC

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
Clemson is new money. Had all this re-alignment happened pre-Dabo, then they would be viewed on NC State's level. I'm not sure admitting them solely because they are currently good at football is the correct move.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It’s a question of when. I figure about 2030, but when ESPN can stomach the buyout, that’s when it will happen.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It’s a question of when. I figure about 2030, but when ESPN can stomach the buyout, that’s when it will happen.
Yep. Not happening in the short term. OP got fooled by a fansite and that rogue twitter guy earlier today.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Clemson is new money. Had all this re-alignment happened pre-Dabo, then they would be viewed on NC State's level. I'm not sure admitting them solely because they are currently good at football is the correct move.
Disagree. They won a title in 1981, which was more recent than Georgia, and nobody doubts their blue-blood. Was Clemson a blue-blood until 2016? Maybe not, but they were in the top tier of programs that always had the 'potential'.

They always had a big fanbase, due to that success back then, and they always filled up that big stadium. Located in a solidly growing state, and a football state at that. Located closely between 2 huge metro areas and very close to another very nice metro area (Greenville). There's nothing not to like about them.

That is why Clemson was always in the mix with big time recruits in the 90s and 00s, even though they hadn't won much recently. They had a great football culture.

Opposite of new money.

McThunder

May 9, 2016
Yep. Not happening in the short term. OP got fooled by a fansite and that rogue twitter guy earlier today.

[FONT=&quot]hear·say

/ˈhirˌsā/
<g-img class="FamOtd" style="display: inline-block; height: 31.9922px; vertical-align: middle;">https://forums.sixpackspeak.com/image/svg xml;base64,PHN2ZyB4bWxucz0iaHR0cDovL3d3dy53My5vcmcvMjAwMC9zdmciIHhtbG5zOnhsaW5rPSJodHRwOi8vd3d3LnczLm9yZy8xOTk5L3hsaW5rIiB3aWR0aD0iMzIiIGhlaWdodD0iMzIiIHZpZXdCb3g9IjAgMCAzMiAzMiI CiAgPGRlZnM CiAgICA8cG9seWdvbiBpZD0ic21hbGwtdmlzZW1lLXYzLWEiIHBvaW50cz0iMCAwIDMyIDAgMzIgMzIgMCAzMiIvPgogIDwvZGVmcz4KICA8ZyBmaWxsPSJub25lIiBmaWxsLXJ1bGU9ImV2ZW5vZGQiPgogICAgPG1hc2sgaWQ9InNtYWxsLXZpc2VtZS12My1iIiBmaWxsPSIjZmZmIj4KICAgICAgPHVzZSB4bGluazpocmVmPSIjc21hbGwtdmlzZW1lLXYzLWEiLz4KICAgIDwvbWFzaz4KICAgIDx1c2UgZmlsbD0iIzQyODVGNCIgeGxpbms6aHJlZj0iI3NtYWxsLXZpc2VtZS12My1hIi8 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 CiAgICA8cGF0aCBzdHJva2U9IiM0Mjg1RjQiIHN0cm9rZS1saW5lY2FwPSJzcXVhcmUiIGQ9Ik0yNSwxMyBDMjMsMTUuMzMzMzMzMyAyMCwxNi41IDE2LDE2LjUgQzEyLDE2LjUgOSwxNS4zMzMzMzMzIDcsMTMgTDEzLDEwLjUgTDE5LDEwLjUgTDI1LDEzIFoiIG1hc2s9InVybCgjc21hbGwtdmlzZW1lLXYzLWIpIi8 CiAgICA8cG9seWdvbiBmaWxsPSIjNDI4NUY0IiBmaWxsLXJ1bGU9Im5vbnplcm8iIHBvaW50cz0iOCAxNCA3IDEzIDI1IDEzIDI0IDE0IiBtYXNrPSJ1cmwoI3NtYWxsLXZpc2VtZS12My1iKSIvPgogICAgPHBhdGggc3Ryb2tlPSIjNDI4NUY0IiBzdHJva2UtbGluZWNhcD0icm91bmQiIGQ9Ik0yMCwzIEwxNy43Njc4NzUsNS4yNTg5MjYyMiBDMTYuNzkxNSw2LjI0NzAyNDU5IDE1LjIwODUsNi4yNDcwMjQ1OSAxNC4yMzIxMjUsNS4yNTg5MjYyMiBMMTIsMyIgbWFzaz0idXJsKCNzbWFsbC12aXNlbWUtdjMtYikiLz4KICA8L2c Cjwvc3ZnPgo=</g-img>Learn to pronounce

[/FONT]

noun

• information received from other people that one cannot adequately substantiate; rumor.
    "according to hearsay, Bob had managed to break his arm"

Not fooled, and I don't put much stock into rumors of this magnitude until they are verified by SEC hq or another reliable source.
I should have clarified that. lol

tribaldawg

Sep 1, 2012

Missouri.

Emma’s Dad

May 5, 2021
Clemson is more like many SEC teams than UT Austin or OU. And has built a brand that is pretty impressive. I think this is a good addition if it works out. I’ve always thought Clemson’s success is the template schools like State can look to for affirmation that being a contender from a small market is possible.

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
You mean to tell me we are going to be even worse bottom feeders*****

17 it bring em

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012
TV revenue a school is due from the ACC’s contract with ESPN is conference property through June 30, 2036 regardless of whether the school remains an ACC member or leaves for another conference.

So, hypothetically, if Florida State leaves for the SEC, the ACC would get any media revenue generated from athletic events on its campus through summer 2036 even if those are SEC games played in Tallahassee.

How much money would it cost a school to leave?

It’s their annual revenue distribution from the league multiplied by the number of years remaining on the grant of rights contract.

In simple terms, if a school gets $40 million a year from the ACC and 10 years remain in the contract, that’s $400 million.

Arthur2478

Oct 17, 2010
They won a title in 1981, which was more recent than Georgia

Yep and BYU won one in 1984, more recently than both and it took a near collapse of the Big12 before they got a power conference invite. If Clemson was such a desirable blueblood, then why did the SEC take South Carolina instead of them in 1990? I stand by my point: Prior to the Dabo era, Clemson was not a school that was highly coveted by other conferences. They're benefitting from recency bias.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Yep and BYU won one in 1984, more recently than both and it took a near collapse of the Big12 before they got a power conference invite. If Clemson was such a desirable blueblood, then why did the SEC take South Carolina instead of them in 1990? I stand by my point: Prior to the Dabo era, Clemson was not a school that was highly coveted by other conferences. They're benefitting from recency bias.

Ha! The SEC did NOT choose USC over Clemson. SEC didn’t have near the power they have now, in 1992. Clemson was happy in the ACC.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
TV revenue a school is due from the ACC’s contract with ESPN is conference property through June 30, 2036 regardless of whether the school remains an ACC member or leaves for another conference.

So, hypothetically, if Florida State leaves for the SEC, the ACC would get any media revenue generated from athletic events on its campus through summer 2036 even if those are SEC games played in Tallahassee.

It’s their annual revenue distribution from the league multiplied by the number of years remaining on the grant of rights contract.

In simple terms, if a school gets $40 million a year from the ACC and 10 years remain in the contract, that’s $400 million.

I bet we have a few to spare in the SEC to trade Missouri for someone like OK State. Better football, baseball vs Missouri with the better hackey sacking in their safe spaces.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Nobody in the SEC is leaving or getting kicked out of the SEC. There are always legal loopholes to work around on any contract. TV money is controlled by ESPN, ABC etc and they are also the ones driving this realignment. The viewership and fan base that a college has is the draw here. Not how dominant the athletic program is. It's how many asses are on the couch watching them every Saturday.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009

I have no idea what will happen. Personally, I believe the prominent ACC teams will leave the ACC before the TV contract expires. I believe it will happen sooner rather than later. But you are very confident it won’t happen soon. It’ll be funny to watch you walk it back if/when it does happen. My guess is that it will result in a new name for you.

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009

would some of that be offset by new revenue from the SEC as school income or would the ACC also grab that money as well ?

patdog

May 28, 2007
No doubt SEC & ESPN and the handful of ACC teams they want all want it to happen sooner rather than later. The only problem is paying off the rest of the ACC. The cost is astronomical now & drops to $0 in 2036. Just a question of when it makes sense for ESPN to write that check. My guess is 7 years. But few if any people know, and they’re not talking.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I have no idea what will happen. Personally, I believe the prominent ACC teams will leave the ACC before the TV contract expires. I believe it will happen sooner rather than later. But you are very confident it won’t happen soon. It’ll be funny to watch you walk it back if/when it does happen. My guess is that it will result in a new name for you.
Relax on your hatred. That's literally all you got - ban smack. If THAT type of thing was what has gotten me banned all those times, then don't you think the Texas/Oklahoma addition (that I called fake news at the time), would have gotten me banned? I've been pretty wrong about a lot of the realignment.

Reality is, ground-breaking things like this don't generally happen at once. We're all just making guesses here. Chill.

But in the case of the OP making this thread - yes, he was just going off the speculation from some Twitter guy who runs a swimming site.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005

Would Clemson's path to the Playoff be easier in the ACC or SEC East?

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Would Clemson's path to the Playoff be easier in the ACC or SEC East?

For now, any non-SEC path would be easier than any SEC path.

As time marches on, that ease will increase . . . until there are only two possible paths to the college football playoff: the B1G and the SEC.

Moving forward, Clemson must consider when they think that will happen and take appropriate action.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016

There are lots of ways to void a contract.

Surely at least one ACC school will find a way around that contract before 2036.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login