Hey Joe Lee! Happy New Year 17er from the last warm day in the panhandle!

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
View attachment 23444
sideways file is ********. DS get your boy Fighting Irish who you have been friends with for 25 years to fix this glitch!!

Last edited by a moderator:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
What Sandy beach are you lounging by?
ETA: I may get arrested for posting a better pic than that!

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
You’re in WY right? I’m trying to get my wife to vacation there. Hoping it makes her want to move

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
ID. About 100 miles north of Boise in a little mountain resort town.

If you/her have never been exploring the Mountain West you should go. My wife and I would take at least 1 trip a year to the mountains from 2010-2020 when we were in Dallas. I spent a summer at Yellowstone in college and fell in love with the area and always told myself if I could ever make it happen, I wanted to live in the mountains... It only took 20 years, but I made it.

If you get to the point where you legit want to move, let me know. We put years of thought and travel into it. WY is great near the parks, but the only real town to live in is Jackson and it's way to expensive. About 90% of WY is actually high desert. Not really pretty, especially southern and eastern. You also want to be close-ish to a decent airport. There's one little honey hole up in North Central WY near the Bighorn Mountains... Sheridan WY. Beautiful town and less than 2 hours from Billings, MT Airport.

Anyway, lots of tradeoffs choosing a place to visit, much less live.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yessir. I guess you get used to it pretty quickly though. I just finished converting the garage into a bunkroom for the kids so we are parking uncovered this winter until I can get a carport built next summer (snow loads are 150lbs a square foot, so it has to be built with some serious engineering and the footers can't be dug until the ground thaws), we park out in the open. Already had around 4' of snow this winter and I am the snow removal *****. I have already found myself out there clearing snow off the cars and shoveling the driveway in the mornings wearing shorts, flip flops, and a hoodie.

Probably not going flip flops for the next few days though as a cold front comes through for New Years...

View attachment 23446

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Hey Joe Lee, I have tried Wyoming Whiskey and for local fare, I really recommend Bighorn Bourbon and Old Elk. With regard to living in Jackson Hole I have wanted to live there since my first visit 40 years ago but it has gotten too crowded and too yuppy these days. Spent 3 days in Cody this year and think it is a great town. Not going to get the wife to move to either one so will have to be satisfied with yearly visits to the great American West. Hope to spend more time exploring Idaho one of these days and will definitely look you up. Hope to visit Alaska this year but with The continuing COVID drama plans are still up in the air.

CochiseCowbell

Oct 29, 2012
My boys are retreating into my core just looking at that temperature. More power to y'all that can take it.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I respect your opinion Pilgrim, but allow me to share my thoughts and some information.

Bighorn and Old Elk are actually sourced bourbon. Both are distilled, aged, and bottled from a company called MGP in Indiana. Bighorn and most Old Elk's are blends, meaning they take 2-3 different barrels of different mash bills and blend them. With MGP that's going to be done well, but also include at least one high rye blend that gives me headaches. I do have a bottle of the Old Elk Wheated Bourbon bin my shelf. It's good, but at $65 it's way overpriced. Pretty sure it's identical to Redemption wheated at $45 a bottle as both are sourced from MGP and taste identical to me.

Willie's actually distills vodka and moonshine and their little distillery in Ennis Mt is supposed to be cool. But they're not really doing anything other than marketing the bourbon.

I love Wyoming Whiskey. They distill, age, and bottle everything in house at the distillery in Kirby, WY. When they got started, they hired the recently retired master distiller from Maker's and use a very similar mash bill. They never sourced anything and waited 3-4 years after starting to sell their first drop.

In the beginning it apparently was not good and the owner bought all of the inventory back from bars, restaurants, and liquor stores in 2013 to improve quality. By all accounts it was hit or miss until about 2018-2019 when they found their groove. I had first bottle in 2019 and have never had a bad one. I pick it up when it's on sale ($35 vs $40) and snag the single barrel anytime I see it. It's amazing.

It's a wheater and I don't think I will argue that it's any better than Larceny or Maker's (even though I enjoy it more personally), but I also respect the **** out of guys starting a real distillery from scratch in BFE Wyoming and struggling through the growing pains to do it right. I'm not knocking sourced bourbon, but it's honestly something anyone with a checkbook can do.

Also, Wyoming Whiskey is really doing some cool stuff. Every year they have a National Parks bottle release to donate money to the parks. They also did a special auction on 4 one of a kind bottles with Harrison Ford for the National Parks Foundation last year.

Just this fall, the Mule Deer Foundation auctioned off special bottles of Wyoming Whiskey to raise money as well.

View attachment 23447

If you like wheated bourbon, National Parks, mule deer, and the idea of a truly craft bourbon distillery that does it all in house, you should buy a bottle of Wyoming Whiskey. They sent me a free hat and whiskey glass last year after I sent an email telling them how I had always enjoyed Larceny, but switched to Wyoming Whiskey as my primary daily drinker.

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I can damn near hit a golf ball to the North Fork of the Payette from my driveway. As a crow flies, we are about a half mile from the spillway from Payette Lake where the North Fork really gets going.

The part you are talking about is 45 miles south of me between Smiths Ferry and Banks. Last summer we drove by several times during the N. Fork championships. It's unreal. Thousands of people lining the highway and I honestly can't believe they are able to kayak it.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I respect your opinion Pilgrim, but allow me to share my thoughts and some information.

Bighorn and Old Elk are actually sourced bourbon. Both are distilled, aged, and bottled from a company called MGP in Indiana. Bighorn and most Old Elk's are blends, meaning they take 2-3 different barrels of different mash bills and blend them. With MGP that's going to be done well, but also include at least one high rye blend that gives me headaches. I do have a bottle of the Old Elk Wheated Bourbon bin my shelf. It's good, but at $65 it's way overpriced. Pretty sure it's identical to Redemption wheated at $45 a bottle as both are sourced from MGP and taste identical to me.

Willie's actually distills vodka and moonshine and their little distillery in Ennis Mt is supposed to be cool. But they're not really doing anything other than marketing the bourbon.

I love Wyoming Whiskey. They distill, age, and bottle everything in house at the distillery in Kirby, WY. When they got started, they hired the recently retired master distiller from Maker's and use a very similar mash bill. They never sourced anything and waited 3-4 years after starting to sell their first drop.

In the beginning it apparently was not good and the owner bought all of the inventory back from bars, restaurants, and liquor stores in 2013 to improve quality. By all accounts it was hit or miss until about 2018-2019 when they found their groove. I had first bottle in 2019 and have never had a bad one. I pick it up when it's on sale ($35 vs $40) and snag the single barrel anytime I see it. It's amazing.

It's a wheater and I don't think I will argue that it's any better than Larceny or Maker's (even though I enjoy it more personally), but I also respect the **** out of guys starting a real distillery from scratch in BFE Wyoming and struggling through the growing pains to do it right. I'm not knocking sourced bourbon, but it's honestly something anyone with a checkbook can do.

Also, Wyoming Whiskey is really doing some cool stuff. Every year they have a National Parks bottle release to donate money to the parks. They also did a special auction on 4 one of a kind bottles with Harrison Ford for the National Parks Foundation last year.

Just this fall, the Mule Deer Foundation auctioned off special bottles of Wyoming Whiskey to raise money as well.

View attachment 23447

If you like wheated bourbon, National Parks, mule deer, and the idea of a truly craft bourbon distillery that does it all in house, you should buy a bottle of Wyoming Whiskey. They sent me a free hat and whiskey glass last year after I sent an email telling them how I had always enjoyed Larceny, but switched to Wyoming Whiskey as my primary daily drinker.

thanks for the info, which I did not know. We were in the White Buffalo in Jackson in 2018 and I tried the WW. It was not to my liking and I moved on. I will give it another chance on my next trip out west. Saw some of the interesting national park labels in Cheyenne a couple of months ago but did not know anything about them. I congratulate you on making the move to Idaho. For those that have never spent time in the Northern Rockies I can only say that it is very powerful country and will touch your sole.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
ID. About 100 miles north of Boise in a little mountain resort town.

If you/her have never been exploring the Mountain West you should go. My wife and I would take at least 1 trip a year to the mountains from 2010-2020 when we were in Dallas. I spent a summer at Yellowstone in college and fell in love with the area and always told myself if I could ever make it happen, I wanted to live in the mountains... It only took 20 years, but I made it.

If you get to the point where you legit want to move, let me know. We put years of thought and travel into it. WY is great near the parks, but the only real town to live in is Jackson and it's way to expensive. About 90% of WY is actually high desert. Not really pretty, especially southern and eastern. You also want to be close-ish to a decent airport. There's one little honey hole up in North Central WY near the Bighorn Mountains... Sheridan WY. Beautiful town and less than 2 hours from Billings, MT Airport.

Anyway, lots of tradeoffs choosing a place to visit, much less live.

I went to the Salmon River Valley in Idaho a long time ago to do some videographer work and it was stunning in early October. I sat one afternoon just glassing the edge of a wood line at the foot of the mountains that was on the edge of a large grass field and saw just about every critter there is in that part of the world. Elk, bear, Mulies, Whitetail, etc. It is still one of my Favorite experiences in the lower 48. The only thing that beat it was filming Saskatchewan trips from the lower end up to the northwestern country that wasn't on a map. Laying in a field with moose and 300+ lbs. deer walking along it's edge until a horde of about 30,000 snow geese all got up in the air a couple of miles away off a lake almost blocking out the sun rising behind them was unreal.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2012
Pilgrim when he sees Joe Lee's response

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018

LOL, got a chuckle out of this one. All this makes want to throw some stuff in the truck and start heading west for another visit. Next week is time to apply for this year’s Wyoming elk license. Can’t wait to to jump on a horse and head back into the mountains again. Started trying to get ready the day after Christmas with walking and some weights. At my age it will take me from now till October to get ready.it’s good motivation to do stuff that I should be doing anyway.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I remember in 1983 or so it was warm like this in December and then in January and February we got a butt load of snow.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login