Hey Joel

Masal32

May 12, 2018
Do you actually believe the things you put on the twitters?? Sometimes it’s best just to not say anything. This team will light up those NIT nets and you will find some way to say we should be excited. This is our University folks!

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
Do you actually believe the things you put on the twitters?? Sometimes it’s best just to not say anything. This team will light up those NIT nets and you will find some way to say we should be excited. This is our University folks!

Well for one, it is my job to promote our university, but two, I do believe this is a mature team that fights and busts its rear end. To me, that’s something exciting to get behind. Today sucked. But as Garrison said, the season is only a quarter of the way done. It’s OK to be frustrated and at the same time, believe it’s a group with a ton of potential.

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
Mature isn’t throwing up BS 3 pointers 10 seconds into the shot clock.

Not gonna comment on effort Bc I don’t think it has been bad.

Serious question - when is the last time we overachieved preseason expectations?

Masal32

May 12, 2018
Well for one, it is my job to promote our university, but two, I do believe this is a mature team that fights and busts its rear end. To me, that’s something exciting to get behind. Today sucked. But as Garrison said, the season is only a quarter of the way done. It’s OK to be frustrated and at the same time, believe it’s a group with a ton of potential.

This season ended today. NCAA or bust. It shouldn’t be too much to ask. They needed quality non con wins and they didn’t get them. But they had the chance. Mature would be knowing that and getting it done. Especially at home. And we have being talking about potential for 5 years. Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. But in this case, it’s fool me about 5 times.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
It’s his job to write about and promote the teams. What do you expect him to do? You want him to not do his job and get fired because you’re mad about losing a game?

You do a great job Joel. I click the ones I want and move past the others. It’s not that hard. My word.

Masal32

May 12, 2018

It’s his job to write about and promote the teams. What do you expect him to do? You want him to not do his job and get fired because you’re mad about losing a game?

You do a great job Joel. I click the ones I want and move past the others. It’s not that hard. My word.

It just shows what we are willing to settle for. An athletic department actually thinks it’s a good idea to put out articles that are filled with drivel. We aren’t stupid. We watch the product and know that it’s crap.

JoelTColeman

May 24, 2013
It just shows what we are willing to settle for. An athletic department actually thinks it’s a good idea to put out articles that are filled with drivel. We aren’t stupid. We watch the product and know that it’s crap.

I know there’s probably no pleasing you here, but I’ll play along nonetheless. It’s not crap we had two veterans and team leaders immediately return to the floor after a loss to go to work. It’s not crap that we’ve had teams in the past that probably would’ve packed it in down 14. This one didn’t. Twice. It’s not crap there is a lot of experience on this team and they’re not gonna panic and they still believe they can figure this out.
Now you’re free to think I should be unemployed (although I’d like to note I do a little more than try to find the bright spots in losses) but I think it’s important our fans/alumni/prospects know this team isn’t sitting around twiddling its thumbs.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012

You’re right. They should pay Fighting Irish and 047dog to take a steamy **** on a different portion of the athletic department each week.

How dare they hire someone to do marketing and public relations and put out positive articles! What the actual 17?!?!?

Don’t they know we only want to hear totally realistic articles with only faint and measured praised sprinkled in to heaping dumps of negativity? And don’t get me started on what people outside the fanbase might think if they read one of these articles. They might feel like this fanbase is something people actually WANT to be a part of. God forbid.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
May we come to your place of work and tell you how ****** you are for doing your job exactly the way it should be done?

You seriously cannot think an in house writer is going to write a negatively focused column. That would be like car manufacturer putting out a commercial saying a competitor won this year's JD Power award for initial quality and they came in next to last.

Masal32

May 12, 2018

I know there’s probably no pleasing you here, but I’ll play along nonetheless. It’s not crap we had two veterans and team leaders immediately return to the floor after a loss to go to work. It’s not crap that we’ve had teams in the past that probably would’ve packed it in down 14. This one didn’t. Twice. It’s not crap there is a lot of experience on this team and they’re not gonna panic and they still believe they can figure this out.
Now you’re free to think I should be unemployed (although I’d like to note I do a little more than try to find the bright spots in losses) but I think it’s important our fans/alumni/prospects know this team isn’t sitting around twiddling its thumbs.

You know what is crap? Losing...AGAIN. If they start winning games like this then it won’t be crap. But losing them is crap...and that’s what matters. Literally nothing else matters. Not the extra shots or “the comeback” or the “potential”. Winning is what matters. Beating good teams is what matters. And this program does not do that enough. And where are those veterans in the game? Why do they continue to make the same dumb mistakes? Extra shots don’t make up for that. They need to extra decision making practice.

Last edited:

Rayburn8

Feb 26, 2013
You know what is crap? Losing...AGAIN. If they start winning games like this then it won’t be crap. But losing them is crap...and that’s what matters. Literally nothing else matters. Not the extra shots or “the comeback” or the “potential”. Winning is what matters. Beating good teams is what matters. And this program does not do that enough.

You are being intentionally ignorant.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Nobody likes losing. Everyone else is just choosing to not be an ******* to Joel about it. That’s ridiculous.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Masal32, you seem to be going through some stuff. I can get you the number of a great therapist. Just let me know.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
Well, in about 3 months yall are going to be saying the exact same thing. In sports, winning is what matters. But this university as a whole doesn’t take that seriously either.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019

Your* right!!!! Stan's had us in the final four EVERY year he was here, and bah gawd we should expect no less right now!!!!!!!!!!!

olblue.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Well, in about 3 months yall are going to be saying the exact same thing. In sports, winning is what matters. But this university as a whole doesn’t take that seriously either.

In sports journalism - especially when you are on the staff of an athletic department - writing articles that put your employer in a good light is what matters.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
Your* right!!!! Stan's had us in the final four EVERY year he was here, and bah gawd we should expect no less right now!!!!!!!!!!!

You are an idiot. Nobody said anything about the final four. Just make that tournament. That’s literally all we are asking for.

Nunya.sixpack

Jun 10, 2019
You are an idiot. Nobody said anything about the final four. Just make that tournament. That’s literally all we are asking for.

Blow it out your ***. Are you 17? Or just high maintenance? Making the tournament and losing on day 1 sucks ***. It's a complete waste of time for that and definitely a waste of all your posting energy.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
Blow it out your ***. Are you 17? Or just high maintenance? Making the tournament and losing on day 1 sucks ***. It's a complete waste of time for that and definitely a waste of all your posting energy.

The fact I want them to make the NCAA makes me 17?? Or high maintenance. The fact that I want the university to commit to winning in EVERYTHING makes me 17? That’s what we hired the guy to do.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
The fact I want them to make the NCAA makes me 17?? Or high maintenance. The fact that I want the university to commit to winning in EVERYTHING makes me 17? That’s what we hired the guy to do.

View attachment 23189

Show me on the doll were Howland touched you. I know I've said this before but the 96 basketball team never would've made it through the season with this part of the folks that inhabit this board. Howland is part of the issue we have but if you think the problems all come from with his coaching your wrong and don't know much about the current game of college basketball.

Quincy A. Wagstaff

May 28, 2020

We've been to the Final Four once in our history. I don't think that is a reasonable measure of success for our program.

But if you want to compare to Stansbury:

Stansbury never went more than 3 years in a row without making the Tournament (first 3 seasons and last 3 seasons). He never went more than 4 years in a row without winning a game in the Tournament (last 4 seasons).

There have been 8 NCAA Tournaments since we fired him. We've been once and are 0-1.

Kojak.sixpack

Aug 23, 2012
Fouls …

We’re we in the bonus either half? What’s up with that?

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Look, there is nothing wrong with bringing up our failures, especially when the same ole same ole happens with Howland's teams. We have seen this same exact season play out over and over again at MSU. The NCAA tourney is all we are asking. Losing week 1 is better than playing deep into the NIT. I feel like, the vast majority of the Howland criticism is valid. Year after year we see failure on the court in the same fashions. Poor offensive execution. Poor movement without the ball. Other team gets wide open looks off of a high ball screen all day. Absolutely refuse to make defensive adjustments, full court press, 1-3-1, whatever. Man to man is getting destroyed by lesser teams. That is concerning. Combo that with our really terrible half court offense that we see year in and out with superior talent.

As far as JT goes, it's his job to write articles that are kind of tone deaf to paint the team in a brighter light.

Sep 15, 2009
Mature isn’t throwing up BS 3 pointers 10 seconds into the shot clock.

You mean like the veteran Minnesota team did? Difference is they made more of them. If our "BS 3 pointers" would have fell and we won the game, you would be singing our praises.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
100% agree. Thunder and Lightning Podcast is the pits since Joel departed. It is like the podcast of the little train that couldn’t!

I wouldn't say it is the pits but it is less enjoyable. The content is fine I just get a little tired of the constant bickering schtick. Faulk seems to be a real 'get off my lawn' kind of guy.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008

Same things could be said about Gene, but that hasnt stopped most here from making fun of the goob for years now.

JML105

Sep 4, 2012
Speaking of '96 team, they lost to Little Rock at The Hump around this same time of their season.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Speaking of '96 team, they lost to Little Rock at The Hump around this same time of their season.

I was there and just finishing my last semester. I went to every home game. We also got the **** kicked out of us by Kentucky at home. I was working with a camera guy for ESPN underneath the goal.

Unless you have Gonzaga talent it's all about getting hot later in the season.

dawgstudent

Apr 15, 2003
Please remember Joel doesn't come here and post these. It's pulling from a RSS feed.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login