High School Baseball

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
All 4 of Lewisburg starting pitchers are D1 commits. Not sure I have ever seen that before. They have 12 or 13 players committed to 4 year or jucos. They will dominate Mississippi this year. Hernando is 4th in the State and 2nd in 7A. Hernando has a young team but it will be a lot of good baseball in Desoto County for years to come. Base Performance and Easley Baseball has had a lot to do with it.

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
I live in Lewisburg and yes, they have a ton of talent. Doesn't guarantee a title, but they are certainly a good bet to win it all. My grandson was selected to play on one of Ed Easely's youth teams. He'll be one to watch in a few years to see how he develops.....what's even more impressive is he is a phenomenal soccer player. He was selected to play on a travel team with boys 2-3 years older than him and he's still the best player on their team. My other grandkids will attend Hernando. So I have them split evenly between Lewisburg and Hernando. Guess I'll try to catch some games this spring to see some good talent.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Seems like Madison Central had a collection like that a few years ago.

Wow....Cayden, Talon, Gunner and Stone......if that's not a travel ball squad group of names, I don't know what is.....

I noticed Desoto Central was the 'it' baseball school for a lot of the last decade, I guess everybody done sold their house and headed out to Lewisburg and Hernando now? It was Southaven back in the 90s.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Seems like Madison Central had a collection like that a few years ago.

Wow....Cayden, Talon, Gunner and Stone......if that's not a travel ball squad group of names, I don't know what is.....

I noticed Desoto Central was the 'it' baseball school for a lot of the last decade, I guess everybody done sold their house and headed out to Lewisburg and Hernando now? It was Southaven back in the 90s.
That is correct. Everything is moving South in Desoto County. Wonder why? 🤔. New high school in Hernando opening and Tate County is about to start seeing a lot more growth as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
That is correct. Everything is moving South in Desoto County. Wonder why? 🤔. New high school in Hernando opening and Tate County is about to start seeing a lot more growth as well.
I thought commutes had maybe stabilized some of that, and people had gotten tired of uprooting.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Alex, I'll take popular first names for Ole Miss frat boys for $200.
Gen X kids seemed to have terrible names across the board. I think millenials have gotten better about it, but the ones that are bad, are VERY bad - like Ashtynn, Asher, Kamryn, shlt like that. And then all the double names for girls. Aubryellen Grace, good grief. Talk about guaranteeing your son will be a wussy and your daughter will be a spoiled princess, they have no choice.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I thought commutes had maybe stabilized some of that, and people had gotten tired of uprooting.
Nope. Same story as forever in the Memphis area. An area goes bad. Working middle class folks move away.

OB proper is getting old and changing. Lewisburg was the new flight area. Now Cockrum and the very se corner of Desoto County is en vogue.

I imagine in 10 years, there will be Cockrum high school where new Lewisburg middle sits. Then 15-20 years, Independence and Byhalia High School will have subdivisions all around it and become the place to ne.

Reactions: HWY51dog

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
Gen X kids seemed to have terrible names across the board. I think millenials have gotten better about it, but the ones that are bad, are VERY bad - like Ashtynn, Asher, Kamryn, shlt like that. And then all the double names for girls. Aubryellen Grace, good grief. Talk about guaranteeing your son will be a wussy and your daughter will be a spoiled princess, they have no choice.
I understand your disdain for most of those names, but what's wrong with Asher? It's got biblical roots certainly not a new name

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
George Carlin did a segment on the pussification of names and society. He wanted to know where the names Eddy, Nick and Bob went.

Gen X is fine. Things started going off the rails at the end of gen Y/Z

Reactions: Wesson Bulldog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I-69 made the commute concern moot.
This is correct….also leading to much more growth.
Is it growth, or just moving stuff around, while the inside rots? I know it seemed like Olive Branch was adding a ton of warehousing, assuming just taking things from Memphis. Obviously those jobs are mainly blue collar. And I haven't been to Memphis in a while, it seems like it's just flat and wide open, making it ripe for easy sprawl.

But is the Memphis Metro actually growing? Seems like I saw recently that Jackson's Metro actually grew faster since 2010. I'm talking entire Metro here, not just Desoto County, which is obviously growing a good bit at Memphis' expense.

Herbert Nenninger

Feb 9, 2019
Boatner is my current favorite fratty name.
There was a former Ole Miss baseball player from my hometown who named his kid Tag. And that was probably 25 years ago.
And I remember a former Auburn and major league player named Clete.

• Haha
Reactions: HomeBoyDawg

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
Boatner is my current favorite fratty name.
There was a former Ole Miss baseball player from my hometown who named his kid Tag. And that was probably 25 years ago.
And I remember a former Auburn and major league player named Clete.
Tag is actually an a older name but rare. Boatner sounds ridiculous.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
I know a Titan, couple Easton's, Kaston, Lennox, Lindley, Hayden, Braylin, Rylin, Landyn, Declan, Bentley, Harper, Blaze, Kamdyn, Jaxon, Cason.....even a Triton. Yeah, like King friggin' Triton. The travel baseball circuit is full of good ones.

And they all have THOUSANDS of invested dollars in their baseball training. I can't help but wonder if some of them are tapped out at the high school level, from all the coaching and lessons. Similar to TX football talent.

The athletes will still be the athletes, doesn't matter if they train daily or not. Most of them do these days though. Kamren (another all-star name) James was one of these.

Wonder when we will see a Marucci or Camwood. Surprised we haven't seen a Slugger, I guess that's a little too obvious.

Last edited:

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
I know a Titan, couple Easton's, Kaston, Lennox, Lindley, Hayden, Braylin, Rylin, Landyn, Declan, Bentley, Harper, Blaze, Kamdyn, Jaxon, Cason.....even a Triton. Yeah, like King friggin' Triton. The travel baseball circuit is full of good ones.

And they all have THOUSANDS of invested dollars in their baseball training. I can't help but wonder if some of them are tapped out at the high school level, from all the coaching and lessons. Similar to TX football talent.

The athletes will still be the athletes, doesn't matter if they train daily or not. Most of them do these days though. Kamren (another all-star name) James was one of these.

Wonder when we will see a Marucci or Camwood. Surprised we haven't seen a Slugger, I guess that's a little too obvious.

The investment is a good one for the elite. And that same investment is an obvious NO, for the ones that obviously arent good enough. Its the ones in the middle that get caught up in it and hurt in the midst of it all.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
The investment is a good one for the elite. And that same investment is an obvious NO, for the ones that obviously arent good enough. Its the ones in the middle that get caught up in it and hurt in the midst of it all.
Agree. Same kinda stuff happens with the NIL - stars benefit, mid-level players get stuck trying to transfer around and all and end up without a home.

BobSacamano

Aug 23, 2012
I doubt Mary Jane Rottencrotch was a princess.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016

Declan??

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Yep. The only other Declan I know is this guy, and you know how he met his fate:

pmack3641

Aug 9, 2019
I live in Lewisburg and yes, they have a ton of talent. Doesn't guarantee a title, but they are certainly a good bet to win it all. My grandson was selected to play on one of Ed Easely's youth teams. He'll be one to watch in a few years to see how he develops.....what's even more impressive is he is a phenomenal soccer player. He was selected to play on a travel team with boys 2-3 years older than him and he's still the best player on their team. My other grandkids will attend Hernando. So I have them split evenly between Lewisburg and Hernando. Guess I'll try to catch some games this spring to see some good talent.
my grandson also plays for Easley baseball he has a long way to go but he’s really good right now.

Reactions: HWY51dog

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
Didn't know that, thanks.
there's a LOT you don't know...that you think you know. My son's middle name is Asher, and his first name is after his great grandfather. My daughter goes by both her first and middle names together, and she couldn't be further from what you described. Goat is gonna Goat, though.

HWY51dog

Jul 24, 2013
Is it growth, or just moving stuff around, while the inside rots? I know it seemed like Olive Branch was adding a ton of warehousing, assuming just taking things from Memphis. Obviously those jobs are mainly blue collar. And I haven't been to Memphis in a while, it seems like it's just flat and wide open, making it ripe for easy sprawl.

But is the Memphis Metro actually growing? Seems like I saw recently that Jackson's Metro actually grew faster since 2010. I'm talking entire Metro here, not just Desoto County, which is obviously growing a good bit at Memphis' expense.
It’s both. New growth and some of the issues in Memphis. A lot of the growth for OB and Southaven are with warehouses and has a lot to do with Memphis issues. Snowden Grove (Silo Square) area of Southaven has a lot of retail and entertainment growth.

Hernando and Lewisburg area growth is more because of population. In 5 years you will have “New Hernando” along 69 with what’s planned basically from the new Hernando High down to Lewisburg High. Two exits apart.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login