Hitler quiz question (college football related)

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
At first glance, I think the YouTube channel has a good case.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
The guy wants attention. The question and answer, are not closely guarded secrets.
He is suing because MSU tapped into his YouTube feed without his permission, which is copyright infringement. He isnt claiming there was anything proprietary in the trivia questions themselves. The Hitler part of the equation just ratchets up the embarrassment and damages aspect.

Granted, a question about Hitler's place of birth is not something one expects to see at a football game, and a photo of him distracts from the festive atmosphere. But should an institution of higher learning really have to apologize for referencing an historical figure, no matter how heinous a person they were?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
He is suing because MSU tapped into his YouTube feed without his permission, which is copyright infringement. He isnt claiming there was anything proprietary in the trivia questions themselves. The Hitler part of the equation just ratchets up the embarrassment and damages aspect.

Granted, a question about Hitler's place of birth is not something one expects to see at a football game, and a photo of him distracts from the festive atmosphere. But should an institution of higher learning really have to apologize for referencing an historical figure, no matter how heinous a person they were?
People talk a lot about Hitler and Nazis. I think they would **** their pants if they ever had to deal with the real thing.

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
Van Pallandt, a citizen of the Netherlands whose business is based in Colombia, said in the lawsuit that if MSU had reached out to him, he could have put together a customized quiz appropriate for the venue and event and charged an appropriate fee.

If the intern had not been lazy, he could have made a quiz.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
It’s bad enough ESPN mixes up Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but godammit, one MSU is not the same as the other MSU!

404292D9-8F05-4DF4-9F78-7DA2B5E70F5F.jpeg

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
I'm guessing you didn't read the 17'n article.
I skimmed it, still they guy wants publicity, or he would say, I see you used my video, please do not do so again, without permission.
He is not damaged, nobody knows who he is or was, till now.

Last edited:

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
I skimmed it, still they guy wants publicity, or he would say, I see you used my video, please do not do so again, without permission.
He is not damaged, nobody know who he is or was, till now.
In addition to using his content without permission, their apology referred to the "inappropriate content by a third-party source" and stated that they wouldn't use the third-party source in the future, as if he was involved or had done something wrong.

His YouTube video wasn't inappropriate. The use of his video (without permission) at a college football game is what necessitated the apology, not his content.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
My thoughts:
  1. Trying to extend the Disney+ free trial TOS to someone dying in your restaurant is wild.
  2. If I have life-threatening allergies, I'm not putting my life in the hands of a server.
  3. The suit is for $50k. How did Disney not write a check immediately and move on?
They don't settle. It sets a precedence, and other lawyers will take it as a sign of weakness and go after them. They will start having many lawsuits. If Disney fights this small law suit other lawyers will stay away from them.

Reactions: Dawgg

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
They don't settle. It sets a precedence, and other lawyers will take it as a sign of weakness and go after them. They will start having many lawsuits. If Disney fights this small law suit other lawyers will stay away from them.
Correct. If they can establish a precedent that the Disney+ terms and conditions force an arbitration for all claims against ANY unit of Disney, then they're going to save themselves a lot of problems in the future.

Or they run up a huge legal bill for this guy to the point that it's easier to drop the case than it is to continue fighting.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
People talk a lot about Hitler and Nazis. I think they would **** their pants if they ever had to deal with the real thing.
I’m currently reading The Rise and Fall of The Third Reich by William Shirer. Dude was a reporter for one of the NY newspapers that was sent to Germany early to cover the Nazi party and was pretty much there through the Nuremberg trials. He had access to all the Nazi records in preparation for the trials and later wrote this book. What Hitler accomplished and how he did it was amazing. Hitler was like the original Forrest Gump, it’s amazing how lucky and opportunistic he was. It’s really eye opening the parallels between 1930’s Europe and present day America, not just politically but socially. There’s a lot more different but there’s some similarities. Not pointing to either political party, just general observation.

Dawgzilla2

Oct 9, 2022
He is not damaged, nobody knows who he is or was, till now.

That's like, your opinion, man.

Copyright infringement damages are very high, because it is hard to catch infringers. Statutory damages alone in this case could reach $150,000. He is also certainly entitled to receive whatever a reasonable license fee would have been to display his work to 75,000 people or so, along with expenses and legal fees, plus the damage to his reputation.

He is being pretty reasonable in seeking just $150,000 total. MSU should offer him $100,000 and move on.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
If I have life-threatening allergies, I'm not putting my life in the hands of a server
Here’s where the mistake was made in my opinion.

Disney advertises allergy free options at most of their park restaurants (I’ve got a kid with nut allergies so we deal with this at every meal when we go to Disney). You tell the server, someone from the kitchen will come out to confirm who it is, and it’ll come out with the allergy free flag. I believe this restaurant was at Disney springs and not in a park. Sounds like it’s not operated by Disney - it’s just a normal restaurant and doesn’t offer guaranteed allergy free options like the park restaurants. They made the assumption it was same as probably 90% of the restaurants at Disney.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login