Hitting

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Killed Ark Pine Bluff but couldn't get going either Friday night so far. Sitting here now watching lsu smash the ball. These Friday night starters we are facing aren't that good. We need do something with our preseason hitting approach. It shouldn't take most of the season the figure out how to hit to the gaps.

We got hot at the end last season but we struggled most of the year. Looks like might be the same again this year.

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014
Very accurate. Whatever we do in fall ball practice isn’t coming close to cutting it. This team is really bad right now.

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012
Lemonis was pissed in post game…..

Killed Ark Pine Bluff but couldn't get going either Friday night so far. Sitting here now watching lsu smash the ball. These Friday night starters we are facing aren't that good. We need do something with our preseason hitting approach. It shouldn't take most of the season the figure out how to hit to the gaps.

We got hot at the end last season but we struggled most of the year. Looks like might be the same again this year.

As he should be. Beaten in every phase of the game by a team that was blown out three times by another cupcake last weekend. Terrible, terrible loss. Landon Sims is now 0-2 on the year. This weekend is a bust even if we win the next two.

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
We have a lot of “hit for power” guys and not many “hit for average” guys. I think the power will eventually come with some of these guys but right now we aren’t doing either.

rynodawg

May 29, 2007
Concerning part is despite the slowish start last year, we still went 20-3 in non-conference (if I counted right). Already sitting 2-3 with lots of tough non-conference games left. These early games matter if we want to host post season games.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
That's because our pitching was lights out most of the year and we had some veterans that found just enough hits to win.

We have to figure something out though. We can't expect to pitch our way through every season. Got to find guys that can freaking hit and get on base

Feb 23, 2008
When you only have 4 hits off NKU there’s plenty to be worried about but my main

concern is Yeager isn’t impressing me at all for a guy that was touted to be a big time hitter. Hope he adjusts and turns it on. I think Tanner is pressing a little. Same with several others.
Not squaring up on fast balls is killing us. But it’s February. I’d rather struggle now than later.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
There may not be a later. These first two weeks have not given me any assurances that any post season is even guaranteed. 2015 is still fresh to me. Yeager should have never been brought in. Didn’t need him abs he’s not good. Should have found a stud pitcher. We have two that are dependable.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
concern is Yeager isn’t impressing me at all for a guy that was touted to be a big time hitter. Hope he adjusts and turns it on. I think Tanner is pressing a little. Same with several others.
Not squaring up on fast balls is killing us. But it’s February. I’d rather struggle now than later.
L Tanner rebuilt his swing from last year - now he starts with his hands above the barrel so there’s has to be so much more movement to get to a good hitting position (can’t miss on timing)

Feb 23, 2008
Totally agree. At second we had Leggett and Meche. Both of which have homered already. It wasn’t like the position was bare thin. And it’s not like Yeager’s defense is great enough to keep him in the lineup. If he keeps struggling we might as well put Lane back at short and Leggett at second.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Two things, '
First
We won the national championship last year so every team that comes into place is going to give us their best effort. You might as well get used to it if you're gonna win championships.

Two
We didn't play great all the time last season and this is not last year's club but they also had some problems last year as well even all the way through the SEC tournament. I got grumpy today as well because Yes, these are dumb mistakes they made today. Players make them every day all year long. Hopefully we got rid of them all in one game because we sure did a lot of dumb **** today at the plate. We also had several very very bad luck plays today against us. We still have a lot to figure out about our pitching staff but we have to do that every year at this time and it's just February guys.

But I promise you and thing is also true... the coaches and players they are more pissed off that we are and I would hate to face us going forward

Masal32

May 12, 2018
They won’t do crap. They can be pissed all they want, but that won’t fix their issues at the plate. Maybe they just aren’t that good. Shouldn’t happen here, but it has.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Sad part is we would not have had to hit much today to have won. N KY gave us a boatload of baserunners in the 7th and 8th with walks and we could only get one single with all of those baserunners. They tried to give the game to us late and we wouldn't take it.

Masal32

May 12, 2018
No. We didn’t actually. Didn’t lose a series in non-con. And beat really good teams in Texas week 1. That team showed grit and won in spite of playing poorly. This one lays down. You knew when they beat Tulane they were special. This team lacks that. You can’t coach it. Either they will have it or they won’t.

WTNduck35

Dec 28, 2021
We have no leadership on this team. Even Stone Simmons coming off the mound mouthing should have gotten guys up. Hancock, Legit, Tanner, someone who has been here has to take control. If not, we are in trouble.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
A lot of that starts with leadership that tanner allen rowdy self brought. Gotta have that next group step up.

ArrowDawg

Oct 10, 2006

What I want to know is why is it that Bianco consistently puts a team on the field every damn year that can smash the ball and score a bunch of runs, while every year we seem to start sluggishly and ultimately scratch and claw our way to wins? Last year alone, I can think of numerous times where we simply benefited from our opponents imploding late in games rather than us truly hitting the snot out of the ball to win. We just ultimately caught fire as a team at the right time (including our suddenly great defense) and won a natty.

I'm just anxious to see if Lemonis is really the elite recruiter he was billed to be. We will see, now that his guys are starting to take over.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Two things, '
First
We won the national championship last year so every team that comes into place is going to give us their best effort. You might as well get used to it if you're gonna win championships.

Two
We didn't play great all the time last season and this is not last year's club but they also had some problems last year as well even all the way through the SEC tournament. I got grumpy today as well because Yes, these are dumb mistakes they made today. Players make them every day all year long. Hopefully we got rid of them all in one game because we sure did a lot of dumb **** today at the plate. We also had several very very bad luck plays today against us. We still have a lot to figure out about our pitching staff but we have to do that every year at this time and it's just February guys.

But I promise you and thing is also true... the coaches and players they are more pissed off that we are and I would hate to face us going forward

Point 1 is eyewash - who gives a 17 about last year and getting everyone’s best - play to a 17ing standard and have some intensity about it

Right now it looks like we have players (some) that were told how great they were all off-season - not playing with a chip or focused - they’ve come out, been punch in the mouth and can’t decide if they want to get up or not

RiceDawg

Aug 13, 2017
Offense is what is right now, but six runs
should’ve been more than enough to win that game. The worst thing I’ve seen is that several pitchers are struggling to throw strikes. The inning with three unearned NKU runs is embarrassing.

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
What I want to know is why is it that Bianco consistently puts a team on the field every damn year that can smash the ball and score a bunch of runs, while every year we seem to start sluggishly and ultimately scratch and claw our way to wins? Last year alone, I can think of numerous times where we simply benefited from our opponents imploding late in games rather than us truly hitting the snot out of the ball to win. We just ultimately caught fire as a team at the right time (including our suddenly great defense) and won a natty.

I'm just anxious to see if Lemonis is really the elite recruiter he was billed to be. We will see, now that his guys are starting to take over.

Well, for one thing, I am not overly impressed with Jake G. I know he stresses putting the ball in play but beyond that our offensive approach is not very impressive. And so far this year we aren't even avoiding the strikeout that well.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login