Hockey question ..

DAWGS1.sixpack

Feb 15, 2007
Not a huge hockey fan but enjoy a game in person every once in a while and watching playoff games on TV - but ….. why do they let them beat the **** out of one another when a fight starts until they go to the ice in the regular season, yet in the playoffs they intervene very quickly and won’t let them fight at all?
Never really understood that ?

Dawg1979

Jun 23, 2015
Best i can figure is the owners don’t want their players having to miss game time bc of a fight. We have season tickets to the Shreveport Mudbugs, and they fight all game, every game. Has to boost attendance

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Yeah. Minor League hockey damn near revolves around fighting. I use to go to South Carolina Stingrays games. Everyone would joke about "going to a fight and seeing a hockey game break out".

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Yeah. Minor League hockey damn near revolves around fighting. I use to go to South Carolina Stingrays games. Everyone would joke about "going to a fight and seeing a hockey game break out".

I remember the Tupelo T-Rex being the same way.

dawgman42

Jul 24, 2007
Dave Stewart of the Jackson Bandits was ONLY on the team to fight. He sucked otherwise.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Back in the olden days, only one official could call penalties. You could hack the 17 out of someone right in front of a linesman without consequence. Because of that, fighting was a way to police what was happening on the ice. It was a way to reduce the cheap shots by showing there would be consequences.

Currently though? There is simply no actual good defensible reason for fighting to occur. Refs should just call anything that is too extreme(checks that are too violent) and throw players out for extreme conduct. NBA players are ejected for way less at this point.
Fighting makes hockey dumber now.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
Dave Stewart of the Jackson Bandits was ONLY on the team to fight. He sucked otherwise.
Those guys were known as "goons". EVERY team all the way up to the NHL used to have one to 1)protect the stars on the team from the OTHER team's goon and 2) to rough up the other team's stars. It's a dead or at most a dying breed.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Hey, I got a hockey record. I took my skate off and tried to stab somebody. I'm the only guy who ever did that.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login