Holding and Targeting

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
After watching ours and other college games, I have no clue what is holding and what is targeting? I swear I used to pretty much agree 95% of the time with targeting calls post review, but now I think they just flip a coin. And holding, I give up trying to figure out how much of a hold warrants a flag.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Agree. After replay, targeting is pretty clear, and they rarely get it wrong. Holding is whatever that ref wants it to be that day.

Reactions: msstatelp1

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
After watching ours and other college games, I have no clue what is holding and what is targeting? I swear I used to pretty much agree 95% of the time with targeting calls post review, but now I think they just flip a coin. And holding, I give up trying to figure out how much of a hold warrants a flag.
I have to agree NOT because there's some conspiracy but because I find myself just as clueless. There was more one time yesterday I thought I could see the call coming only not to see a flag. I just want to understand how a diving helmet to helmet tackle was not targeting when you saw the head snap back.

Let's just say I've seen a lot of inconsistency.

I've given up on figuring out what is holding at what is not. Pretty much I figured out that it's not holding unless they want to see it and what they do see can be interpreted as holding if they want it to. I think you guys know what I mean without me going into much detail. And I know you can call holding on almost every play if you want to... but what exactly makes you want to and exactly does't make you want to

lazlow

Jul 9, 2009
o
Not sure how the hit on Stetson was not targeting.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
At some point we have to cut the Defensive players some slack. They are aiming at a moving target and often the offensive players head goes down into the hitting zone. Watching it in slow motion doesn’t help. It’s happening in the blink of and eye and it’s often unintentional or caused by the offensive player. It must be so frustrating to play D now

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Holding now has to blatant and sometimes it’s still not called.

Targeting is just a frustrating judgement call with a terrible penalty structure. There should be two tiers of the actual penalty, one being intentional or severe (ejection) and the other being less severe with a 15 yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I think the main confusion on targeting is that there are two situations. One where the defender leads forcefully with crown of his helmet. Second is the defenseless player hit, and doesn't have to be helmet to helmet - it just has to be a hit in head or neck area with helmet, shoulder, arm, etc.

They normally get the helmet-to-helmet correct and it's obviously. But the defenseless player hit is the one that no one seems to understand and where I think people get confused. Announcers don't help either when they say - "looks like he hit with his shoulder and not the helmet, that shouldn't be targeting"

Reactions: DesotoCountyDawg

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010
Second is the defenseless player hit, and doesn't have to be helmet to helmet - it just has to be a hit in head or neck area with helmet, shoulder, arm, etc.

They normally get the helmet-to-helmet correct and it's obviously. But the defenseless player hit is the one that no one seems to understand and where I think people get confused. Announcers don't help either when they say - "looks like he hit with his shoulder and not the helmet, that shouldn't be targeting"
Maybe this is where I get confused. But is swear I’ve seen them screw up helmet to helmet calls after reviews, but it might be my confusion. Maybe I’ve had too many concussions

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Holding now has to blatant and sometimes it’s still not called.

Generally I think this is right, but still get some relatively ticky tack holding calls.

The biggest frustration I have is I feel like it used to be pretty normal to call holding when you could see the jersey being pulled away from the defensive player while the player is trying to disengage. Now, you can pretty much get a free tug, and when you've got a defensive player trying to prevent a ball carrier from getting to the sideline and cutting up, just slowing them down like that is all that's going to be necessary most of the time.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Holding seems to be determined by the Ref, and who we might be playing that day.

Targeting will get a replay.
Back in the day when O Lineman could not use their hands at all holding was really easy to call. Flat hand on the shoulder pad was considered holding.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login